Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Chat about just about anything else

Should Daylight Savings Time be changed? How?

1) Keep it "as is."
17%
2) Make DST year round.
23%
3) Do away with it.
58%
4) Keep it, but tweak it a bit.
No votes
5) My State doesn't have DST, and I'm glad it doesn't.
1%
6) My State doesn't have DST, but I wish it did.
No votes

Total votes: 77

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

As someone who is not a morning person, I HATE daylight savings time. Getting up an hour earlier just screws me up and makes me permanently exhausted for two weeks straight. I never really do adjust to it, so in the fall when we get to gain our lost hour of sleep back, it is a god-send. I say we do away with it! Keep the winter hours. Everyone knows it doesn't actually save energy.
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, Nvidia GTX1080, Mint 19.1 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

My normal "go to bed time" is when the sun starts to peak up over the eastern horizon.....

I enjoy the nights when all is quiet, and the Internet is F*A*S*T :lol:

you have to have lived in the Rural Far Outback to understand my position on this....
ADSL, something I suffered with for over 8 years, some times, it actually worked for 5 or 6 days in a row.
Even then, the maximum upload speeds were about 125Kbps

Downloads topped out at 1.5Mbps

ah crap on this I say, and bought into the Satellite is faster and more reliable story....
uh huh, sure it is, it suffers from Network Congestion just like anything else.....
Prime Time? max downloads were about 1.5Mbps to 2.5Mbps

Then I heard about OliveIP which is a sub-contractor for AT&T LTE wireless internet....
Ah, freedom at last, take it with you anywhere, and you have the world at your finger tips.

yes, we did, and it works great, but the original LTE modem they supplied me with was single channel, and suffered from Network Congestion in Prime Time, just like every thing else that I had tried.

Last Saturday, our new LTE modem arrived, a Netgear MR1100 with 4 channel aggregation.
wow oh wee! we are part of the world again, with speeds averaging 20Mbps most of the time.

at night, it hits about 35Mbps.....
the Signal Strength shows up as "Poor" nearly all the time, so I ordered up an external antenna....
time will tell if that helps out.
The MR1100 modem, when next to a Cell Tower that is appropriately configured, can deliver speeds up to 300Mbps dn and 40Mbps up.

living in the Rural Areas has its' advantages, but also some very severe disadvantages....

15 years ago, I lived in Phoenix, AZ and had Cox Cable, and 50 Mbps 24/7
gawd was I disappointed when we moved to where we are now.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:26 pm
My normal "go to bed time" is when the sun starts to peak up over the eastern horizon.....

I enjoy the nights when all is quiet, and the Internet is F*A*S*T :lol:

you have to have lived in the Rural Far Outback to understand my position on this....
ADSL, something I suffered with for over 8 years, some times, it actually worked for 5 or 6 days in a row.
Even then, the maximum upload speeds were about 125Kbps

Downloads topped out at 1.5Mbps

ah crap on this I say, and bought into the Satellite is faster and more reliable story....
uh huh, sure it is, it suffers from Network Congestion just like anything else.....
Prime Time? max downloads were about 1.5Mbps to 2.5Mbps

Then I heard about OliveIP which is a sub-contractor for AT&T LTE wireless internet....
Ah, freedom at last, take it with you anywhere, and you have the world at your finger tips.

yes, we did, and it works great, but the original LTE modem they supplied me with was single channel, and suffered from Network Congestion in Prime Time, just like every thing else that I had tried.

Last Saturday, our new LTE modem arrived, a Netgear MR1100 with 4 channel aggregation.
wow oh wee! we are part of the world again, with speeds averaging 20Mbps most of the time.

at night, it hits about 35Mbps.....
the Signal Strength shows up as "Poor" nearly all the time, so I ordered up an external antenna....
time will tell if that helps out.
The MR1100 modem, when next to a Cell Tower that is appropriately configured, can deliver speeds up to 300Mbps dn and 40Mbps up.

living in the Rural Areas has its' advantages, but also some very severe disadvantages....

15 years ago, I lived in Phoenix, AZ and had Cox Cable, and 50 Mbps 24/7
gawd was I disappointed when we moved to where we are now.

I love living in rural areas, too. I could not live in a city. I am not quite as remote as you are, but sure wish I was! I am in a small town, in the middle of nowhere. I have neighbors, but am also backed up against state forest land. So I kind of have the best of all worlds. We have decent internet out here, but I grew up with first dial-up and then DSL, so I remember those speeds very well. Lol. I've seen you mention OliveIP before, and I ended up bookmarking their website after you first mentioned it. Just in case I ever moved somewhere more remote than where I currently am.

One day, if I ever get to retire (they keep upping the age), I look forward to being up all night in the quiet, and going to bed at dawn. Nighttime is my jam. Unfortunately, work makes wake-up hours be 6am. Ugh. *dramatically falls over dead*
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, Nvidia GTX1080, Mint 19.1 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I am the exact opposite, I live by the sun.
Often up and finished with the morning news and a few cups of coffee before the first light of day.
often a siesta or two if it strikes my fancy
When the sun goes down, I follow...
I am like a wolf, sleep a few, wander a bit, and return to bed.

very rural, edge of the grid...retired for a decade or so, but i still work when it suits my fancy
Peter
Mate desktop https://mate-desktop.org/
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I have a funny story to go with DST.

Our dogs, three of them.
1. Akbash, same family as a Great Pyrenees. big as a barn, quiet, refuses to listen, guards the house and barks all day long until we let her back in.

2. Heinz 57, mix of ?? she is 8 now, just wants to sleep.

3. Tagalong: we named him that because he "tags along with you" no matter where you go. He found us at a Federal Park in northern Mississippi somewhere a year ago today ... about 2 to 3 months old? scared, just needed to be held and fed, bones showing thru his hide.

Now the funny part: he has the look and temperament of an Aussie Shepherd, blacker than the night. He is definitely a herd dog.....

this just happened a few minutes ago: he has always herded us "to bed" :)
well, now that DST is in effect, his timing is off, and he tried to get us to go to bed an hour early LOL
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 pm
I have a funny story to go with DST.

Our dogs, three of them.
1. Akbash, same family as a Great Pyrenees. big as a barn, quiet, refuses to listen, guards the house and barks all day long until we let her back in.

2. Heinz 57, mix of ?? she is 8 now, just wants to sleep.

3. Tagalong: we named him that because he "tags along with you" no matter where you go. He found us at a Federal Park in northern Mississippi somewhere a year ago today ... about 2 to 3 months old? scared, just needed to be held and fed, bones showing thru his hide.

Now the funny part: he has the look and temperament of an Aussie Shepherd, blacker than the night. He is definitely a herd dog.....

this just happened a few minutes ago: he has always herded us "to bed" :)
well, now that DST is in effect, his timing is off, and he tried to get us to go to bed an hour early LOL
LOL, two of my cats will also send me to bed at night. They are now also off, due to DST. When I was a kid, my Siamese cat demanded bedtime at 9pm SHARP. I had no choice in the matter. You can't ignore or argue with a Siamese. So my bedtime curfew was strictly enforced every night, even on weekends and holidays. The cat was my age, so this went on for all 19 years of my childhood. I never did get to stay up past my cat-decided bedtime. LOL

dvd8n
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dvd8n »

There are plenty of studies that show that when the clocks change:
  • There is a statistically significant increase in road traffic accidents
    There is a small but significant increase in the death rate due to heart attacks
    There is a decrease in productivity at work due to concentration problems
    There are a decrease in the number of decisions made at work
    There is an increase in the number of accidents at work
This is basically down the the mass disruption in sleeping patterns. It's time to stop this nonsense. It's not worth the economic consequences and it's not worth the death toll.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Fuzzy Penquin wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:09 am
...You can't ignore or argue with a Siamese...
Actually, you can ignore or argue with a Siamese. You just won't win!

Some friends of mine had an adorable Siamese. When she wanted attention from you, she would make sure she got it, whether it was by getting in your lap or face or by resorting to physical violence. Sometimes, she would sit besides me on the couch and, if she wanted my attention, she would reach over with her little paw and rapid fire whack my arm. For such a little girl, she really packed a punch!
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Fuzzy Penquin wrote:
When I was a kid, my Siamese cat demanded bedtime at 9pm SHARP. I had no choice in the matter. You can't ignore or argue with a Siamese.
:mrgreen: Definitely not ignore at least. My two are part Siamese and it really shows .. see my avatar .. when it's time to go to the Pub they both make their protests, Roobarb esoecially vocally and both of them seem to be mind-readers too. They are both amazingly tactile and the paws reaching up to stroke my cheeks, snuggles, spending hours in the bed restricting my ability to turn over etc., riding round on my back and (from Custard) plenty of face and hand scrubs (raspy tongue), nostrils, ramming her face in my earholes etc. for attention.

Luckily my routines aren't set in stone so there is some room for adjustment, critical in the case of this scenario.
dvd8n wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:45 am
There are plenty of studies that show that when the clocks change:
  • There is a statistically significant increase in road traffic accidents
    There is a small but significant increase in the death rate due to heart attacks
    There is a decrease in productivity at work due to concentration problems
    There are a decrease in the number of decisions made at work
    There is an increase in the number of accidents at work
This is basically down the the mass disruption in sleeping patterns. It's time to stop this nonsense. It's not worth the economic consequences and it's not worth the death toll.
I don't normally quote an entire post but I really do agree entirely. These are all points I have raised in other threads and forums in the past.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:43 pm
Fuzzy Penquin wrote:
...You can't ignore or argue with a Siamese...
Actually, you can ignore or argue with a Siamese. You just won't win!

Some friends of mine had an adorable Siamese. When she wanted attention from you, she would make sure she got it, whether it was by getting in your lap or face or by resorting to physical violence. Sometimes, she would sit besides me on the couch and, if she wanted my attention, she would reach over with her little paw and rapid fire whack my arm. For such a little girl, she really packed a punch!
Re: with Siamese, you won't win. --> Sooooo true! They will tell you straight up what's on their mind and what they think about it. And because you're a human, your opinion doesn't matter. The cat's opinion overrules yours. LOL :lol:

It does surprise me just how much power is behind a cat's punch. They are stronger than they look.

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

BG405 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 am
Fuzzy Penquin wrote:
When I was a kid, my Siamese cat demanded bedtime at 9pm SHARP. I had no choice in the matter. You can't ignore or argue with a Siamese.
:mrgreen: Definitely not ignore at least. My two are part Siamese and it really shows .. see my avatar .. when it's time to go to the Pub they both make their protests, Roobarb esoecially vocally and both of them seem to be mind-readers too. They are both amazingly tactile and the paws reaching up to stroke my cheeks, snuggles, spending hours in the bed restricting my ability to turn over etc., riding round on my back and (from Custard) plenty of face and hand scrubs (raspy tongue), nostrils, ramming her face in my earholes etc. for attention.
Oh yes, my cats really hate it when we leave for work in the mornings too; they do get upset. My big male cat requires mutual head-bumps from me when I come home, or else he gets upset. He's very tactile, and will paw you to ask for snacks, attention, or because he wants to see what you're doing. He also is big on the aforementioned head-bumps, and rubs his nose all over your face as well. He will ram his nose up yours, and has done so since he was a tiny kitten. He also likes climbing into the shower with you, so you gotta make sure you fully shut the door. He plays in the water, and rubs all over you thereby coating you in wet cat fur. All my cats like water.

One of my females is a shoulder rider. She leaps like a ninja and lands so lightly, you don't even know she's there until suddenly a cat appears on your shoulder. It's practically teleportation. Maybe it is... lol.

kelevra
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelevra »

It doesn't really make any difference where I live, it is only dark for a few hours in mid summer. It does not make much sense here on the plains. I lived in a border town that did not change and was fine with it. Sure freaked out out of town customers at the dealership I worked at.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

Return to “Open chat”