Banned from a forum. No the whole thread was deleted!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Sir Charles

Banned from a forum. No the whole thread was deleted!

Post by Sir Charles »

Without being notified, not in private , or in any other way, I have been banned from reading and posting in the thread "Gender Identity". I am not sure if it is because my posts have been perceived as offensive by some, in general or any particular way.
If this is the case, whomever my post may have offended, please step forward and point out where I have stepped out of the line. In that case you deserve my public apology.

Sincerley,
Marziano
Last edited by Sir Charles on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Banned from posting in or even reading a forum

Post by Moem »

I doubt that this is the case. If you've been getting error messages, it seems more likely that this is a glitch.
What is going on that makes you think you've been banned?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:35 am What is going on that makes you think you've been banned?
The thread has been deleted.

Information
You are not authorised to read this forum.

lol
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Moem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:35 am I doubt that this is the case. If you've been getting error messages, it seems more likely that this is a glitch.
I just wondered that.
I got the message that I am not authorized to read and post in that thread. So I thought perhaps my posts may have been reported as being offensive by some. I cannot even see them when I search my posts in my profile or under "Your posts".
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Marziano wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:43 am
Moem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:35 am I doubt that this is the case. If you've been getting error messages, it seems more likely that this is a glitch.
I just wondered that.
I got the message that I am not authorized to read and post in that thread. So I thought perhaps my posts may have been reported as being offensive by some. I cannot even see them when I search my posts in my profile or under "Your posts".
Out of all the moderators, one took exception to it and deleted the whole thread.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Oh, I didn't know that. From the message "You are not authorized to read this forum", I could't conclude that the thread was deleted. Was it because the subject was too controversial? Or the posters, including me, were "derailing" from the right path?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Marziano wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:51 am Oh, I didn't know that. From the message "You are not authorized to read this forum", I could't conclude that the thread was deleted. Was it because the subject was too controversial? Or the posters, including me, were "derailing" from the right path?
The other moderators tolerated it. One didn't. That's all it takes. It wasn't your posts, just a moderator's opinion that triggered it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It was probably because the subject is touchy, invites comments that others may find hurtful, and is pretty much impossible to keep out of the realm of politics. It was not my decision but I can see the reasoning.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:55 am It was probably because the subject is touchy, invites comments that others may find hurtful, and is pretty much impossible to keep out of the realm of politics. It was not my decision but I can see the reasoning.
I admired your participation in it.

Cheers.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

That's a pity.... :shock:

The discussion in that thread was animated and heated, but never overheated.

Occasionally there even was some humour in it: opponents were able to laugh together, and thus bridged a potential gap of lasting animosity. I must say that I enjoyed both the verbal duelling and the flashes of humour.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:03 am That's a pity.... :shock:

Occasionally there even was some humour in it: opponents were able to laugh together, and thus bridged a potential gap of lasting animosity. I must say that I enjoyed both the verbal duelling and the flashes of humour.
+1

Cheers.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:03 am Occasionally there even was some humour in it: opponents were able to laugh together, and thus bridged a potential gap of lasting animosity. I must say that I enjoyed both the verbal duelling and the flashes of humour.
I feel the same :D
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:58 am
Moem wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:55 am It was probably because the subject is touchy, invites comments that others may find hurtful, and is pretty much impossible to keep out of the realm of politics. It was not my decision but I can see the reasoning.
I admired your participation in it.

Cheers.
Me too. And yours as well. I did appreciate reading your posts and your stand towards science and scientific knowledge.
If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance with his instincts, he will accept it even on the slenderest evidence.
Bertrand Russell
Last edited by Sir Charles on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

I like your placement has a trace of wisdom.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Marziano wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:25 am
If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it...
Bertrand Russell
Sadly, that happens all too often even when the evidence is so overwhelming that it is absolutely indisputable.
I did appreciate reading your posts and your stand towards science and scientific knowledge.
I've had over eight decades to think these things over :mrgreen:

I appreciated your posts, also.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:36 am Sadly, that happens all too often even when the evidence is so overwhelming that it is absolutely indisputable.
I think the same. I knew you would too.
Cheers
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I didn't think it was all that heated. Me and catweazel had a few discourses, but nothing that would reduce either one of us to name-calling, I'm sure.

Ah, well, in all honesty, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. Yes, it is a touchy subject, but it is current and something that needs to be considered. It is a changing world. Sure am glad I won't be here to see what it turns in to! :D

Whatever you do, don't look back. You might turn in to a pillar of salt... :lol:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I admired your participation in it, also. :D
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Marziano wrote:
I did appreciate reading your posts and your stand towards science and scientific knowledge.
I remember back in the 70s that scientists were saying that the earth was heading towards another ice age. Guess what, they were wrong! The scientific community is not infallible.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Gentlefolks, just in case: we're NOT going to continue the discussion from that thread in here.

Return to “Open Chat”