Cyberfox I love it a nice browser to use

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
SwanRider

Cyberfox I love it a nice browser to use

Post by SwanRider »

I was looking for an alternative to browsers. I started using Firefox and was one of the first users of it and remember the excitement of it getting 1 million users, back in the day when IE was the only alternative. I stopped using it when it kept updating too often and was no longer the friendly browser it once was. When I started using Mint I chose not to use and thought of other browser and at first used chrome which many use. Then during a search on line I saw Cyberfox and looked on here to see if any others were using and what their thoughts were as this is the first place to look for things. Not finding much I thought I would give it a try anyway and I must admit that I love it. It is like having Firefox as used to be, nice friendly and just well nice. I had read that it doesn't update, but it does and has just updated today which was very easy to do as Firefox used to be and all my settings are the same.

So I am posting this to say if you've not tried it and don't want to go down the chrome opera route as an alternative browser why not give it a try - you might love as I do
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cyberfox I love it a nice browser to use

Post by xenopeek »

A year ago the lead developer said Cyberfox development would cease immediately and they would only do 12 more months of security updates: https://8pecxstudios.com/Forums/viewtop ... f=6&t=1756. So effectively, that means it is unmaintained from this month. Has there been a change in plans for Cyberfox or are you indeed recommending people to use a browser that has been discontinued and won't receive any more security updates?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

As a rule, the small browsers are little better than toys.... Generally, only the big browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Opera) get timely adequate security fixes. :wink:

Note that your web browser is, by far, the most attacked piece of software on your computer. Its security is therefore vitally important.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You might want to look at Waterfox instead... that one does get regular updates and security fixes.
https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:50 am A year ago the lead developer said Cyberfox development would cease immediately and they would only do 12 more months of security updates: https://8pecxstudios.com/Forums/viewtop ... f=6&t=1756. So effectively, that means it is unmaintained from this month. Has there been a change in plans for Cyberfox or are you indeed recommending people to use a browser that has been discontinued and won't receive any more security updates?
Well it is still updating now as I have just got the latest updates from it and that is fine by me
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I looked at the update announcement and it had some new info about what will be the last release: after Cyberfox 52.9 at the end of June there will be no more updates but a new project may be started based on Firefox ESR. As we say in the Netherlands, Cyberfox looks to be "held together with tape and chewing gum."
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi SwanRider,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It does not sound like Cyberfox is being well maintained and updated.

I think it is a good idea for everyone to have at least 2 web browsers installed for various reasons. There is always a possibility that an update may temporarily cause a browser some issues for a short time which means you could easily start another browser and use that in the meantime. Some people will use a particular browser for special purposes like online banking, paying bills, shopping, and nothing else and use another browser for general surfing, browsing the Internet, or for different users using the same computer and user account (you can create different user accounts though).

All editions and versions of Linux Mint come with an Internet browser installed, usually Firefox. There are many really nice browsers available to install and use. I have always loved Firefox and their newest version takes a little getting used to, but it still works great. As was already mentioned, there is Waterfox, "Opera" is great, Google's Chrome is excellent, "Brave", SeaMonkey, etc...
phd21 wrote:My newest favorite browser is called "Slimjet" because it has a lot of really cool built-in features and it is fast and secure and can use the Chrome extension add-ons. Its turbo download is the fastest of all the browsers I have tried. Slimjet also has a handy unique feature of being able to automatically shrink (scale) images for uploading images to websites like this forum that have specific image size limitations. It also has a built-in language translation option.
https://www.slimjet.com/

*** Re: Slimjet: Linux Mint 19 users and other users can download and use the Slimjet archive file under Other Linux where you just save the "slimjet....tar.xz" file right-click it extract here, move the new "slimjet" folder from your Downloads folder to your home folder or an "apps" folder in your home folder. Open console terminal in that folder and run the command below which only needs to be done once for the secure "sandbox", select option 1 sudo, after Slimjet comes up, wait a minute and close it, then you can create a desktop launcher shortcut to the "flashpeak-slimjet" file in that folder to run it from then on.

Code: Select all

bash flashpeak-slimjet
+1 for Waterfox

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

palemoon still works is what i use
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Waterfox provides a VERY easy migration path from pre-Quantum Firefox. All that's needed is to change the settings in about:config as these don't appear to be imported; in my case trim URLs (what idiot thought that up?) and the one that highlights parts of the URL, plus a few other tweaks. I also disable searching from the URL bar as that is what the Search box is for.

Next task is getting it to sync with PaleMoon which I use on my 32-bit systems, I haven't attempted that yet.

I'd be interested to see what the Cyberfox team come up with.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Okay so I took notice of everything that was said here. I still love Cyberfox and still use as it still keeps updating at the moment. I did try a few of the suggestions here and even tried firefox again. Sorry I loved the first few additions, but now it is ...... we they've broken it and as for Yahoo search well it I best keep my comments to myself. I did quite like slimjet as it has a lot going for it. However, after a bit more research I saw many people were saying that Opera was a hidden gem of the browser world. So I tried it and I have to agree that for me it is. There really is nothing I do not like about it, apart from the fact I can't have my Cyberfox theme on it. So now I am using Cyberfox and Opera, because I really like them both and when Cyberfox is no longer available I will use Opera full time as that will give me time to really get to know it
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

SwanRider wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 am I was looking for an alternative to browsers. I started using Firefox and was one of the first users of it and remember the excitement of it getting 1 million users, back in the day when IE was the only alternative. I stopped using it when it kept updating too often and was no longer the friendly browser it once was.

Huh?

Firefox is a lot more friendly than any of the other browsers out there, and it is also the only one that has a decent bookmarking system that you can easily create and maintain a hierarchical bookmark list.

. FF is the only browser that I will use, don't matter what the OS is, it is the only browser on any of my PCs.
and it syncs bookmarks to all of them.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:24 pm
SwanRider wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 am I was looking for an alternative to browsers. I started using Firefox and was one of the first users of it and remember the excitement of it getting 1 million users, back in the day when IE was the only alternative. I stopped using it when it kept updating too often and was no longer the friendly browser it once was.

Huh?

Firefox is a lot more friendly than any of the other browsers out there, and it is also the only one that has a decent bookmarking system that you can easily create and maintain a hierarchical bookmark list.

. FF is the only browser that I will use, don't matter what the OS is, it is the only browser on any of my PCs.
and it syncs bookmarks to all of them.
Each to their own - I uninstalled as I hate it that much - it WAS good when IE was the only alternative, but now it has lost its way and I am not the only who thinks that and it is not that customisable any more and has stomped on those who try to make it so - just what I think and I am not alone
SwanRider

Re: Cyberfox I love it a nice browser to use SOLVED

Post by SwanRider »

I have now find that I can use Waterfox which was my first choice when I was using windows. I was able to download the deb file to install it and able to customise it as I want to do so. I have now switched to this, because it was what I really wanted in the first place. I know it is just another Firefox alternative but it is one I really like. I really hope that Cyberfox continues because of the work that was put into it over the years, but sadly it doesn't seem to be doing so.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

I have traditionally used Chrome but Google has been irking me more and more of late so I decided to install FF on my windows computer, as it was already on my 'new' Mint 19 system.

So far so good and I think I'll probably switch permanently.

I absolutely need a cross-platform browser as I run Windows and Linux computers and want all bookmarks etc synced.

Given this, I figure that Thunderbird might also be worth a look as an email client...

Return to “Open Chat”