My ISP suddenly is snooping/blocking my VPN

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pat D

My ISP suddenly is snooping/blocking my VPN

Post by Pat D »

When I connect to one of my VPN's servers I always run DNSLeakTest to see if...
It's always apparently worked before.
But..
All of a sudden, it always comes right back to me, here.
If I run different leak tests, I fail, too, they all come back to my ISP
And Ii can only connect to VPN servers in my own country - do they have a complete list of my VPN's servers?

This is bothering me here - I started looking into email encryption, Tor and privacy issues since I've been reading about Wiki-Leaks, Snowden, the NSA and others, and and all the rest.
It seems just a few queries has brought something down on me, here in a fabled "Western Democracy."
You heard it here first, folks.
A few questions and all hell could break loose.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: My ISP suddenly is snooping/blocking my VPN

Post by catweazel »

Pat D wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:40 pm All of a sudden, it always comes right back to me, here.
If I run different leak tests, I fail, too, they all come back to my ISP
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=262800&p=1423890#p1423890
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Thanks, catweazel.
I'll let you know ho it goes.
:D :D
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Will repeat,
block-outside-dns is a Windows only option.
It was added by ValdikSS, a OpenVPN dev, to mitigate Microsoft Windows "Smart Multi-Homed Name Resolution DNS".
https://medium.com/@ValdikSS/beware-of- ... c5bfb4e3f1

A connection attempt on Linux with block-outside-dns will fail with:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/openvpn/client/client01.log
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in client01.conf:3: block-outside-dns (2.4.5)
Use --help for more information.
running OpenVPN 2.4.5.

Possibly earlier OpenVPN versions will just ignore the option, I never checked on Linux until today because it`s a Windows only option.
Check the log...
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Seems I've been having 2 separate issues at once.
Just got word from NordVPN :
Seems like the issue might be related to IPv6, which is currently not supported on our systems. Please try disabling it as follows:

To disable IPv6 on Linux:

https://support.nordvpn.com/#/Connectiv ... -Linux.htm

You can read more about IPv6 and its support here: https://support.nordvpn.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 5000087325
Second, at the same time as this my ISP-supplied router had rebooted when the power went off; strangely it "reset" to Auto DNS. Hmmm.
So I'll have to watch for that little detail and keep an eye on it.
Otherwise, the only thing is that the NordVPN servers for Canada are all frickin' here, right in my neighborhood! It's really strange on ipleak.net and dnsleaktest.com to watch the map come up pointing at your part of town. (But the numbers change ever so slightly with each server) Eery.
But...if I use a non-Cdn server, the map shows me that neighborhood. Makes me feel safer, but man, I'm getting paranoid... :D :D :D

Return to “Open Chat”