Computer reboots when toilet flushes

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Computer reboots when toilet flushes

Post by all41 »

I have encountered some strange complaints and cause/effects over the years.

This is waaay to funny :lol: :P :shock: :twisted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/23/on_call/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Computer reboots when toilet flushes

Post by kc1di »

That's a good one. ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Haha. Such things might happen in a "smart home" as well, I suppose.... :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

That got me to thinking of poor wiring practices....
The pump may have needed new brushes, but the real problem was the manner in which the wiring was installed in the old farm house...

and quite possibly the wiring from the 'supply transformer' to the house is under-sized, or has oxidation causing a 'high resistant' joint... all of which will cause a voltage drop.

and a 'wee UPS' is not a bad idea, I have three of them in our home.
2 are for the DirecTV Receivers because it takes ten minutes for them to restart with the briefest of power dips......
and the 3rd one sized for a 30 minute outage: is for my big Desktop PC running Win7..... a hard power down on that can cause some bad mojo in a hurry. that one has a USB link for the UPS to instigate a 'Win7 shutdown'
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I know computers can get bogged down, but not like this ... actually, a decently rated PSU should cope with a brief "brownout" as was the case here.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

When I read the title to this thread, my first thought was that it was some kind of motor-related thing, most likely a pump or perhaps some sort of oddly-linked room vent fan.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

In the mid 1980's I had a Lada car. If you honked the horn, the windshield wipers would come on - never tracked down the issue. Since turning on the windshield wiper switch was more work than honking the horn, whenever it started to rain, I would just honk the horn. Yes, I am that lazy.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

all41 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 pm I have encountered some strange complaints and cause/effects over the years.

This is waaay to funny :lol: :P :shock: :twisted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/23/on_call/
:lol:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Not quite that unusual, Some years back a friend who had been the recipient of on of my cast offs rang and said the computer wasn't working. Given that this was a DOS box you'd think that solving the problem over the phone should be easy. I suggested a few things and nothing would work, "OK, I'll come and have a look", "No rush, next time your here for a cuppa". They only lived in the next street. I called around next day and "The room's a mess, don't worry about it today". This went on for a couple of weeks, they were good friends and it was no trouble. In the end, I just said "Too bad I'm going to fix it" walked into the room and walked out 2 seconds later with "Fixed" Surprised ooks all round. "Open circuit between the computer and the wall". Blank stares,,, "It wasn't plugged it!" Now total embarrasment, she'd unplugged it to vacuum. :D

Another friend rang in a panic one night because her computer wasn't doing what she needed for work the next day. Her hubby was away for work. Anyway, as I arrived, she was about to hop into the shower so she just yelled out, "It's in the bedroom" I went in, sorted the problem and then wited in the living room 'till she was finished. Told her what was wrong and how to fix it. Her response was "If I wasn't wearing this towel, I'd kiss you!" Then she realised what she'd just said. We got a lot of mileage out of that one over the next few years.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

lsemmens wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 am
Another friend rang in a panic one night because her computer wasn't doing what she needed for work the next day. Her hubby was away for work. Anyway, as I arrived, she was about to hop into the shower so she just yelled out, "It's in the bedroom" I went in, sorted the problem and then wited in the living room 'till she was finished. Told her what was wrong and how to fix it. Her response was "If I wasn't wearing this towel, I'd kiss you!" Then she realised what she'd just said. We got a lot of mileage out of that one over the next few years.
:lol:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Open Chat”