[SOLVED] Phantom forum notifications? (Links to nonexistent posts)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

[SOLVED] Phantom forum notifications? (Links to nonexistent posts)

Post by BG405 »

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to post this.

I've been seeing a few notifications lately which point to nonexistent posts, in fact have one now. Whilst I assume those posts have been deleted or moved, I wonder why the notifications aren't removed as well? The link just goes to the top of the last page of the thread.

I did search on here but couldn't find any related threads, so once again I'd like to apoliogize if it's already been discussed.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Phantom forum notifications? (Links to nonexistent posts)

Post by xenopeek »

This would happen if a topic you've started or commented on has a comment that you hadn't read yet before the topic was moved to archive. While we prefer to lock topics and keep the reason they are locked public, at times we remove topics from the forum and keep them in archive instead (when dealing with trolls or hate speech for example). Moderators can't see what notifications you have.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Thanks for that Xenopeek, I'd forgotten about the archives (used to moderate on a popular forum a few years back), but in these cases it's usually just the latest post which is missing, not the whole thread. This obviously also applies to bookmarked & subscribed topics.

I assume that once the forum software issues a notification, it doesn't have the ability to remove it if a post gets deleted? Probably safer to leave it that way though.

Cheers!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

When a topic or post gets deleted, associated notifications (pending or read) would also be deleted. But moving it to archive does not.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Thanks very much for that explanation! I'll mark this as [SOLVED] now. 8)

Return to “Open Chat”