In light of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, I finally deleted my Facebook account. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: In light of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, I finally deleted my Facebook account. Here are my thoughts on the matt

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Schultz wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:18 pm
WharfRat wrote:
It makes one wonder why people would provide all that personal information in the first place
Because people today are more self-absorbed than ever. Which is a hallmark of the world we live in today. At least that's what I believe.
I believe you hit it on the head.

I can't believe people think these companies are benevolent and don't use the data for gain.

While I (funny, just as I started typing this, an item about Facebook began running on the radio...) use Google a lot, it collects everything you do and everywhere you go from the search engine, and also collects data as indicated from the Google logo on a visited page.

Could you imagine if a less-than-benevolent entity ever got into Google's database?

What's interesting; if you use Chrome browser, and try to use the anonymous mode, you cannot use and ad-blocking. In Firefox, you can use anonymous mode, or not, and install Ad-Block (who also collects data) and Ghostery to hold the wolves at bay.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: In light of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, I finally deleted my Facebook account. Here are my thoughts on the matt

Post by mike acker »

Bolle1961 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:57 am There is a great alternative for faciesbook, movim.eu
Based on XMPP, OpenSource, distributed, federated.
If you want you can run your own pod/ server.
Clients for Linux and Android (GooglePlay and F-droid), web client
interesting

i don't think any universal means of communication exists. Except in Ireland where it is the Local Pub. ( WHY have I not moved to Ireland ? ) . anyway, the appeal of any communication channel is to a considerable degree dependent on whether ones intended recipient(s) are monitoring such channel. This is true of everything from 4-Chan to the good old US Surface Mail, aka USPS.

I don't see this changing. and I'm not signing up for fACEBOOK.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Arch_Enemy wrote:While I (funny, just as I started typing this, an item about Facebook began running on the radio...) use Google a lot, it collects everything you do and everywhere you go from the search engine, and also collects data as indicated from the Google logo on a visited page.

Could you imagine if a less-than-benevolent entity ever got into Google's database?
I sure can, and I see no reason to believe that this is unlikely.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

mike acker wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 am
Bolle1961 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:57 am There is a great alternative for faciesbook, movim.eu
interesting

i don't think any universal means of communication exists. Except in Ireland where it is the Local Pub. ( WHY have I not moved to Ireland ? ) .
Stop by New England and pick me up on the way.

Irishmen know the power of positive drinking... :wink:

However, I might go on to Scotchland... :D

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

mike acker wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 am
interesting

i don't think any universal means of communication exists. Except in Ireland where it is the Local Pub. ( WHY have I not moved to Ireland ? ) . anyway, the appeal of any communication channel is to a considerable degree dependent on whether ones intended recipient(s) are monitoring such channel. This is true of everything from 4-Chan to the good old US Surface Mail, aka USPS.

I don't see this changing. and I'm not signing up for fACEBOOK.
We had an account for my band, and I believe in not writing down passwords, so I was always forgetting it. Well, I finally locked the account. I got a notification telling me I had to upload a copy of my birth certificate or my driver's license.

Right. Sure thing. I'll get right on that.

I FINALLY found an email address for someone at Facebook in "Customer Service" and told them I didn't care if it sat there and rotted for eternity, there was NO way I was going to send any of that information.

Two days later I said, "Hmm..." and tried to log in. I got a screen saying "Please reset your password"...

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Facebook was quite open about using peoples' data. I really don't understand why people are upset that Facebook did what they said they do.

https://www.facebook.com/privacy/explanation

We collect the content and other information you provide when you use our Services, including when you sign up for an account, create or share, and message or communicate with others.

We also collect content and information that other people provide when they use our Services, ...

We collect information about the people and groups you are connected to and how you interact with them,

If you use our Services for purchases or financial transactions (like when you buy something on Facebook, make a purchase in a game, or make a donation), we collect information about the purchase or transaction.

We collect information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices where you install or access our Services, ...
Here are some examples of the device information we collect:
Attributes such as the operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers.

We collect information when you visit or use third-party websites and apps that use our Services

We receive information about you and your activities on and off Facebook from third-party partners,

We use the information we have to improve our advertising and measurement systems so we can show you relevant ads on and off our Services and measure the effectiveness and reach of ads and services.

Here are the types of third parties we can share information with about you:
Advertising, Measurement and Analytics Services (Non-Personally Identifiable Information Only).

We transfer information to vendors, service providers, and other partners who globally support our business,
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Flemur wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:59 am Facebook was quite open about using peoples' data. I really don't understand why people are upset that Facebook did what they said they do.
Not only that, but Cambridge Analytical's data collection was in the form of a survey (Hint #1) and had a disclaimer TELLING you they were going to use your information (Hint #2...what do you need,to be hit over the head?!?!)

Others have collected data from FB with NO notification whatsoever.

Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:00 am Absolute nonsense. The UK Public Records Act prohibits the wilful destruction of records.
Yeah you would think...

That's the trouble with the typed word, it fails to convey the sarcastic, ironic tone... anyway..

The UK is incredibly corrupt, 'records' regularly 'disappear ' get 'misplaced' all the time, particularly when its political.. Oh look I've described more or less every country in the world :lol:
It's been widely reported that the national embarrassment that is Boris Johnson and his party cronies used CA to influence the Brexit vote.... so called 'experts' ( usually promoting a book at the same time ) have openly speculated that public data ( snoopers charter ) was used, by CA, in the campaign. Channel 4 news reported CA staff removing boxes of records from the building days before 'officials' were allowed in. Doesn't take a genius to do their own bit of 'speculation' does it?

Only today "Cambridge Analytica Had a Role in Kenya Election, Too"..https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/worl ... ction.html

My use of 'they', by the way, refers to anybody being Government, political party, corporation or business that stands to gain from the use of or access to our browsing, shopping habits or politic viewpoints based on what we read online.

I'm merely saying don't be so quick to just blame facebook when they're all at it.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Flemur wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:59 am --snip

I really don't understand why people are upset that Facebook did what they said they do.

--snip
sadly the answer may not be technical. I'm too close to the edge with this now as the Moderator has requested, and properly so, that we not explore the alley.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Fiduggin67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fiduggin67 »

Several weeks ago, I did quite a bit of searching for a particular product I was looking to buy. My search accounted for about three days of intense browsing. Out of the blue, I started seeing ads for that product all over Facebook. I didn't have a clue how the two were connected, but I knew something wasn't right.

Since then, when I want to view my FB feeds, I go the net with a live version of Tails and browse with the Tor browser. When I am finished, I log out. Haven't seen anything like that since. In fact, in became clear that if I looked for anything on Amazon, it would soon show up as ad on FB. Hasn't happened since I have been browsing in this manner. 90% of my browsing is now done through Tor.

Just a thought for anyone who wants privacy on the net.

Bob
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Fiduggin67 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 pm Several weeks ago, I did quite a bit of searching for a particular product I was looking to buy. My search accounted for about three days of intense browsing. Out of the blue, I started seeing ads for that product all over Facebook. I didn't have a clue how the two were connected, but I knew something wasn't right.

--snip

Just a thought for anyone who wants privacy on the net.

Bob
if you run a plug-in such as Ghostery you will see all of the widgets watching what you're browsing.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Mozilla released a Facebook container extension for Firefox: https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/facebo ... extension/. It makes it much harder for Facebook to track you, if you're want/need to continue to use Facebook.
NoahsArk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoahsArk »

Highly recommended read.

Are you ready? This is all the data Facebook and Google have on you!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ou-privacy
Linux - Il est interdit d' interdire
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I'm not on facebook, it's not my cup of tea. Facebook probably could have done better. But in this case it's not facebook who stole the data. But a company who abused the trust they had. That's even worse and the world is hard on facebook about that.
1nkey

Post by 1nkey »

mike acker wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:58 pm
Moem wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:39 pm
Penn wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:54 pm to my understanding if people would have adjusted their privacy settings in Facebook their information would not have been available. Personal responsibility applies here.
The metadata is much deadlier than the data. It's the information about your surfing behaviour, gathered from all over the web, that counts. Not the pictures of your dog.
+1

interesting topic

many of us have known for years that FB is highly invasive.

if you run a tracking plug-in in your browser you'll discover bunches of widgits tracking what you're up to.

generally accessing a web page today will cause you to connect to a whole bunch of additional sources --

the thing that is curious though is: how much info can a web page extract from a Linux host? It's my understanding a web page isn't supposed to be able to read/write anything on your host computer except cookies. except naturally when you initiate such action as in downloads and uploads

still we all wonder how close they are really sticking to the rules. we know they don't like the rules and will do anything that gets them past the rules... "they" refers to market researchers.
Yeah interesting I've been wondering about much the same things as well... but I cant imagine its too difficult, your ISP is selling your data ... huge companies are buying smaller ISP'S up, happens all the time. At the end of last year I got an email from Yahoo saying my terms of agreement were changing due Verision Buying them :(
Ive only been using linux at home for about 2 years now so i don't know enough to comment directly about how intrusive your email or ISP might be on the operating system itself, ....BUT.... I don't use a VPN and if you did It would still come down to trust ( I'm not going to the middle of the atlantic ocean or Latvia or whatever to go check what sever logs are or aren't being kept....) But for an ISP it can't bee that hard to track..... unless everyone in your neighborhood had the exact same spec machine running the exact same release and had pretty much identical browsing habits, its why tor browsers are not maximized by default. With the hardware capabilities big corporations have even if you were going through a tunnel or a VPN it should be doable to track a user on line. Have you built your OS from source ? and cross complied it from a known safe source or read every single line of code ? ... best to just assume it's all compromised
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm not going to delve into the security aspects of the situation, as they have already been discussed to death here and elsewhere.

Facebook's stock and their user base have essentially nothing to do with one another. I seriously doubt the general public is going to stop using it simply because of recent events. People use it to stay connected with one another, and the fact is there's nothing else out there that anyone's mutually agreed upon to switch to.

I'm certain there are myriad things Facebook has been doing lo these many years to try and ensure that they don't become the next MySpace.

When I've made announcements in the past about leaving Facebook (which I nearly did last year) I received absolutely no reaction or response or even curiosity from any of my friends. When I discussed it with some of them directly, the reaction was uniformly one of indifference. I have yet to see anything suggesting it's changed much. Basically, nobody wants to put forth the effort to switch (and to what, Google+? Twitter? etwas anderes?) and nobody wants to be the tall poppy, either.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi portreve...i can honestly say that this is the only "social thing" i actually do on the computer, the forums...i do not own a "smart" phone, i prefer the "stupid" phone, i have never "texted" in my life and do not intend to...i have never and will never use facebook, myspace, twitter, instagram, or any other entity i can think of...i do know people who say they "cant live without it"...guess im old fashioned...what did people do before email, chatrooms, the aforementioned social platforms?...well i still remember and still DO write letters will pen and paper and mail them with a postage stamp, and NO its not a quill pen with feather attached...lol...i still am able to pick up either my landline telephone or "stupid" style cell phone and can still remember how to actually "dial" or as we do these days, just press the numbers and be able to actually really speak or talk to someone in real time...other than that i socialise in person with actual live, breathing people that are occupying the same room space and fresh air that i am during social gatherings...security was, is and always has been my reasons for never signing on to these services, heck, i wont even have a store "rewards card" and do not allow much activity on my bank cards either...when my deposits are there, i withdraw it all in cash and pay things accordingly...my bank has no need to know what im buying or bills im paying or anyone else they share info with for that matter...my only other thought was what you said in your post..."I received absolutely no reaction or response or even curiosity from any of my friends"...does that imply they could not care less if you and they are even in contact with you using these platforms?...if that were really true, and i had these platforms, i would be deleting them in about 3.2 seconds proving the old fashion ways are still best and more honest communication with longer lasting friendships and results with people who really do care...just saying...DAMIEN
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

M$'s Win 10 also collects users' private data through forced Telemetry, similar to Facebook. Is (or will) M$ also selling user-data to 3rd-parties, like Facebook.?

Google's services also collect users' private data but mostly uses the data for her own targeted ads revenue = no need to sell user-data to 3rd-parties. That does not mean Google won't.

Mozilla's Firefox is beginning to do the same, ie collect users' private data.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 pmhi portreve...i can honestly say that this is the only "social thing" i actually do on the computer, the forums...i do not own a "smart" phone, i prefer the "stupid" phone, i have never "texted" in my life and do not intend to...i have never and will never use facebook, myspace, twitter, instagram, or any other entity i can think of...
Good for you! I'm glad to know there's someone out there who won't go down without a fight. :D

michael louwe wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:20 amM$'s Win 10 also collects users' private data through forced Telemetry, similar to Facebook. Is (or will) M$ also selling user-data to 3rd-parties, like Facebook.?
This alone, much less that it's Microsoft we're talking here — with all the legacy baggage that brings — is a fairly good argument against using Windows 10.
Google's services also collect users' private data but mostly uses the data for her own targeted ads revenue = no need to sell user-data to 3rd-parties. That does not mean Google won't.
I don't consider Google to be any kind of angel, though it does seem to me they have been at least a bit more transparent than Facebook.
Mozilla's Firefox is beginning to do the same, ie collect users' private data.
Huh... I know they have a cloud service, but I didn't know they were doing data collection like Google is.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Elon Musk offered to buy and then delete Facebook: https://alternative-science.com/technol ... k-facebook

FSF meanwhile plans to purchase the embattled Facebook website and overhaul the entire site to become the world's largest privacy respecting, free software and free JavaScript-based social media platform. They've launched a crowdfunding campaign for that: https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/fre ... y-facebook

Return to “Open Chat”