Censorship on the forum

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Censorship on the forum

Post by Fred Barclay »

Moem wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:37 am Please no ... president Trump bashing (Hillary lost: for God's sake, live with it)..
Political statements are explicitly against forum rules. For that reason, I would normally remove your comment about the outcome of the US elections. This time I'm letting it stand as an example of statements that we normally remove, no matter which political direction they favour. I have removed statements that praised and bashed candidates on either side of the American political spectrum. I know other mods have done the same.
But that's not a political statement. It's a historical fact. ;) Pjotr didn't say "Trump is good, Hillary is bad" or the opposite, (or "Rutte good, Wilders bad"). I'd quite understand -- and be happy with -- removal of those type posts. But this doesn't explicitly favour either side as far as I can see.

Would a post with "King Harold lost the Battle of Hastings" also be removed? It's a historical fact, but I feel quite certain that if someone really wanted to, they could misconstrue it as a political statement. I think the rest of us would see that as absurd, though.

+1 also for Moem's thoughts on avoiding "PC". And if I may echo her sentiments, this is not the place to care about anyone's thoughts, feelings, or physical attributes. Let's make sure we stay friendly towards everyone!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

idle wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:47 am Its poison, the whole damn lot of it. There are plenty of forums to suit your political, religious and social needs. This is Linux Mint, and I think we are lucky to have it. And I mean that in the sense that this forum is one of the friendliest forums you can find, and of coarse that has just as much to do with the moderation this forum has. Enough already! :(

So much I see in life, outside and inside of the internet, where a few spoil it for everyone else. No need for details either, if your honest with yourself you know exactly what I mean. I DON'T want to see that happen here. Though I don't post a lot, but I come to these forums everyday. I wouldn't say I have friends here as I'm pretty new and I don't post often, but already I see a poison spreading. I don't care which way you try to slice it, it causes division, plain and simple.

Just the title of this thread makes me shake my head, Censorship, you've got to be kidding me. I applaud the moderators for shutting down anything that causes division. Especially topics that place people in camps, for or against. Its just not the place for it. And what do the moderators get for doing so? Censorship! unbelievable. See what I mean? Not nice, not nice at all.
It all depends how you let it affect you. Another member and I are about as far apart as you can get and were having a discussion about some political thing in another thread. But I don't hold it against him at all, because here, that's an aside. I really come to talk about Mint.

On a screen, you can't tell when someone is getting heated and when they aren't so you have to be a bit on the cautious side. The only thing that would get me heated here would be someone saying, "Why just you don't go back to Arch." :lol:

Oh..wait...I think someone did... :wink:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Fred Barclay wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:56 am
Moem wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 am Political statements are explicitly against forum rules. For that reason, I would normally remove your comment about the outcome of the US elections. This time I'm letting it stand as an example of statements that we normally remove, no matter which political direction they favour. (...)
But that's not a political statement. It's a historical fact. ;)
It's a statement and it's about politics. Politics is a no-go subject on this forum. It's as simple as that.
Let's not encourage people to try and find loopholes and talk about politics on these forums anyway; that way lies nothing good or desirable. All it causes is a bad athmosphere on the forums and extra work for the mods.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Moem wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 pm ...and extra work for the mods.
You mean you don't like extra work? :lol:

Okay, no worries. And as always, thanks for your (and all the other mods') excellent work here!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Penn

Post by Penn »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:37 am The last thing we need is a leftist reality distortion field imposed on this forum (nor a rightist one of course, but that doesn't appear to be the case here). Please no America bashing
I have challenged that "reality distortion field" (I'm going to remember that phrasing) on both sides, here and elsewhere, before. With either extreme, living with blinders is a very dangerous thing. Not just to society, but in an environment like this. One of the things that happens with that field is people sometimes don't even realize what they said is unacceptable and why. All they see is their own view.

A bit of an aside - I believe 2 people at least had me on their foes list (one of them probably still does but the other maybe not) due to challenging that reality distortion field and they never even engaged me in those conversations themselves. That is one way for a person to reassert their positioning in that field.

And yes, America bashing has happened and it takes an Australian to point that out. LOL

I agree with Fred. Moderation is necessary and overall it is good here. The directional leaning he mentioned isn't as prevalent now as it was about a year ago so I haven't felt the need lately to blatantly challenge any distortion fields. Unfortunately the way that leaning was curbed was being quicker to deem a statement as political by way of thread locks.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Fred Barclay wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:56 am
Moem wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:37 am Please no ... president Trump bashing (Hillary lost: for God's sake, live with it)..
Political statements are explicitly against forum rules. For that reason, I would normally remove your comment about the outcome of the US elections. This time I'm letting it stand as an example of statements that we normally remove, no matter which political direction they favour. I have removed statements that praised and bashed candidates on either side of the American political spectrum. I know other mods have done the same.
But that's not a political statement. It's a historical fact. ;) Pjotr didn't say "Trump is good, Hillary is bad" or the opposite, (or "Rutte good, Wilders bad"). I'd quite understand -- and be happy with -- removal of those type posts. But this doesn't explicitly favour either side as far as I can see.

Would a post with "King Harold lost the Battle of Hastings" also be removed? It's a historical fact, but I feel quite certain that if someone really wanted to, they could misconstrue it as a political statement. I think the rest of us would see that as absurd, though.

+1 also for Moem's thoughts on avoiding "PC". And if I may echo her sentiments, this is not the place to care about anyone's thoughts, feelings, or physical attributes. Let's make sure we stay friendly towards everyone!
The line between political and societal or sociological can get blurry at times.

I don't see that as political either but I can see how it would be interpreted that way due to the "live with it" part.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hey folks...i can tell ya about anti-american hate-ism...i belong to various different forums...one forum, which i will not name, but is in england had a problem with me...i used the word spelled in US style english "behoove"...immediately was attacked by people in the UK who took exception to my "ugly americanism" of the english language...( my dual majors in university were english and history...dual minors were psychology and theology) ...i then inserted an "oxford encyclopaedia" dissertation of the word from 1400s english to modern day english...in the 1400s it was spelled as "behove"...believe it or not...with no cussing, foul language etc, i was banned for life because it took exception to their anti-american bias...they also deleted the entire conversation that should have been left in the light of day to prove this bias even if locked which i would have been ok with personally...but they are not like linux mint forum...there is a bias out here on the other forums against americans and i can happily say the linux mint forums does not allow any bias like this to happen...i also hope it continues to never allow bias against any entity just because they are not european...i am european descent like most americans are...england, ireland, and german derivation...
WOW talk about three different tempers in one body...lol...lol...now the only problem that remains is i cannot forward the letter of thankfulness that the kids i work with who needed their particular system that would work on their low powered computers at school for something called 1st robotics etc...i dont pretend to know all about it but programmed their 4 computers so they could write code...poor kids didnt win this year...they couldnt get the hardware they needed but they were able to master coding they needed...i really wanted these kids to have some recognition of their efforts...they are not giving up by the way...they are hoping to be number 1 next year...i do have the letter they had written about this...can it be posted on linux mint forums even though it was peppermint used due to low powered computers they had?...if so...where will mods allow me in the forum to post it...the kids deserve some credit here for trying to learn linux...they had said they wanted to use linux to do their coding...not microsoft...not apple etc...so i was happy to help them...for next year...they need the help of the community of all things linux if you folks would like to help them...if so...i will get at least a couple of these students to become members here for possible linux coding help they might need next year...just let me know what i can and cannot do here in this regard...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

an addendum...i think its amazing that when i do click on the browser bookmark that tells me im banned for life, they really just dont get it...they do not even want me to be able to read their website any longer...when they ban you...they think your totally stupid and do not know how to use vpn, tor, things that can mask what browser your using...this does tell me that even though this particular linux version is ok for prime time now...their forum is still sophormoric and juvenile in its response...could i enter their forum again under a false entity?...yep...i wont do that though...it would be dishonest...and frankly...it would compromise my own personal integrity which i refuse to do...if i post...i want people to know its me...i will never hide under a false identity...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i just did american hate-ism as well as an addendum to this forum...it took me a long time to come back to the forum...it now states that im no longer a member etc..and made me do all the street signs etc to prove im not a bot etc...is this also a part the europeans really hate us americans>...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this really should not happen again...this seems to only prove what i thought was happening towards me...why did linux mint forum stop me when i entered my name and password? why did it show all the "street signs" etc again...was it because i questioned why another english? european entity banned me for life?...i find it very strange that exactly when i mentioned the other site, that mint site immediately challenged my credentials in linux mint forums...makes me very curious...DAMIEN
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Have you ever got the message your IP is blacklisted?
I have!
The "street signs", several times.
So, there is nothing to worry about.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

nope...never got the blacklisted...here is what i do think though... i do not think i can prove it...i think that just maybe, the guy that was responsible for me getting banned on the other site may also be a part of this forum and maybe under another name on this forum maybe causing mischieve...again...my main issue is not about me...i want to be able to post what the teenagers that i work with get the recognition they need and deserve to have despite the fact that i may be persona non grata...again i ask the mods and administrators on linux mint forums..."can i be able to post the kids letter of appreciation for linux help...despite the fact that its not mint but another entity of linux so they can be recognised?"...its not about me...its about the kids...i could not care less about me...i care only for the kids under my care...it doesnt matter if no one cares about me personally...im here for the teenagers that want to use linux systems ...DAMIEN
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Damien, I'm not a mod (obviously) so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe the "Chat about Linux" subforum would be the perfect place for that letter! If you want to double-check then I suggest you PM a mod. I've done this several times before posting and they've always gotten back with me quickly.
- Albert Einstein
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

thank you fred...forgive me if i seem a little "gun shy" at this point in time. but rather than sending a PM, i think i would like a mod or administrator to tell me publicly on this forum that it would be ok...im gun shy because, though the problem is not from here in mint forum per say, i just do not want to see a repeat of what happened without witnesses and as i previously mentioned, immediately after i mentioned i had that little problem of being banned for life and having all posts removed and yes, that could possibly happen yet again, when i tried to sign in here, immediately after i wrote this, i had all the road blocks in front of me and still makes me wonder if the person responsible on the "other" forum for my demise there, is it possible that person could also be here and be able to do the same thing...im usually very trusting by nature but my trust in all forums is now somewhat shaken...DAMIEN
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Fred Barclay wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:09 pm Damien, I'm not a mod (obviously) so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe the "Chat about Linux" subforum would be the perfect place for that letter! If you want to double-check then I suggest you PM a mod. I've done this several times before posting and they've always gotten back with me quickly.
Let's get OT in an OT post:

Fred, you're going to have to explain to me what the HECK kind of animal is that?!?!?!

I see your location as "bumping around in the bush" so I can imagine 2 things: Australia and, well, we won't mention the other...

Considering what kind of stuff live Down Under, it could be another creature like a Platypus...or not...

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Fred Barclay wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:09 pm Damien, I'm not a mod (obviously) so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe the "Chat about Linux" subforum would be the perfect place for that letter!
As a mod, I agree.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Never mind...you got me....

It certainly WAS an animal designed by a committee, wasn't it? :D

Penn

Post by Penn »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:18 pm my dual majors in university were english and history
What?
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Penn wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:23 am
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:18 pm my dual majors in university were english and history
What?
+1 Very hard to read - not the content so much as the punctuation. However I am aware in certain intellectual circles this type of writing is considered very, what? stylish? counter culture? I am not sure how to describe it. I think the author e e cummings started back in the it in the 50s with no capitalizations then others started butchering the punctuation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:46 amFred, you're going to have to explain to me what the HECK kind of animal is that?!?!?!

I see your location as "bumping around in the bush" so I can imagine 2 things: Australia and, well, we won't mention the other...

Considering what kind of stuff live Down Under, it could be another creature like a Platypus...or not...
It's a Porg from the Star Wars movie The Last Jedi. A kind of bird? But yeah, it could be from Australia :)

Return to “Open Chat”