~!#$%& Skype! (rant)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
vansloneker

~!#$%& Skype! (rant)

Post by vansloneker »

The older Skype on my Windows and Linux is blocked. Skype download on new Mint leaves me with a blank window. Skype from software manager sort of works. But I get a long list of contacts and phone numbers I have ever connected to, can't hide that. And while texting with a mate, there is a spell checker I can't turn off or change language.
I tell you, I dislike Microsoft more for what they did to Skype as for erm, some other reason.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: ~!#$%& Skype! (rant)

Post by jimallyn »

There are other ways to communicate besides Skype. There's the tox protocol, for which there are several clients, including qtox and gtox, and others, including for smart phones. Look into it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Just was going to add, it's my main communication channel with a hearing impaired friend. The only person for whom I keep it up.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

In the Skype Tools -> Settings menu make sure that you set Skype to start automatically but also that you do not select the "Start Skype in the background".
It should then start as a working fully visible window but you can then simply close the window, leaving skype running in the background.

I am now using Skype version 8.19.76.3 from their repos which are enabled when you install the skypeforlinux.deb, though if you use synaptic yiou can choose which version you want as there are 10 different versions available from 8.14.0.10 up to my 8.19.76.3.

Good luck! I feel your difficulty of having to use Skype is similar to mine; there is no point me telling other users to try qtox and gtox or anything else, as they all expect everybody to use Skype, as they do, and nothing else than Skype can talk to Skype.
Annoying but fact!
OS_Researcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OS_Researcher »

I got fed up with Skype. As a matter of fact I am fed up with everything Microsoft. I found this, https://wire.com/en/ , it's free, they do have a paid version but it isn't needed. It works with Linux, Windows, Android, iOS, MacOS, and the most popular browsers. Damn good HD picture and very good audio. All my friends switched with no issues and were happy to dump Skype, and just so you know, they are all windows users.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I had to install Skype on a Windows computer last weekend and it's stripped down even more. Even less settings to set.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Finally had one version working, now I can't login on Skype-Mint because Skype demands my birthday. Like I am going to share that with Skype :lol:
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

vansloneker wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:26 pm... Skype demands my birthday. Like I am going to share that with Skype :lol:
We all know your birthday is April 1, 1998. No need to hide it. :)
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

That makes me a life time Skype member! :lol:
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

On Windows 10 I have installed an older version of Skype hoping the age screen doesn't show, but miraculously when I start the older version the age screen does show and it identifies as the new version. Even after uninstalling via CCleaner, and removing the package from C:\Users\vansloneker\AppData\Local\Packages this new version remains persistent.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I never liked or used Skype because it was unsafe from the first day it came out. Then it was bought by MS and that gave me one more reason to avoid it.
vansloneker wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:42 pm Just was going to add, it's my main communication channel with a hearing impaired friend. The only person for whom I keep it up.
So I take it you are using it just for text? There must be many options out there for text chatting between computers.

I wonder what happened to ICQ. They pretty much invented it and had a monopoly and then disappeared.

Have a look at https://itsfoss.com/best-messaging-apps-linux/

At any rate. Personal questions don't bother me too much as I have multiple personalities. On one site I can be a 20 year old student with annual income of $650K, married, with 5 kids and in the next I can be an 85 year old grandma with no kids driving a Ferrari and living on food stamps. But a phone number which would link to me in meatspace? Forget it. No way.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi vansloneker,

I just read your post and some of the good and humorous replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are many good posts on this topic already in this forum.

I have been recommending to everyone to switch from the insecure "Skype" application, or other insecure multimedia messaging apps, to another secure multi-media messaging application (text, voice, video chat) for years like "qTox (Qtox)" my favorite, and or one of the Tox clients (uTox, toxygen, etc...), "Wire" which was created by ex-Skype developers, "Ring", "Jitsi", Linphone", etc...

"Skype" is a good application when it works, but it is well known to not be secure and is monitored by government agencies and others world-wide, it is used by hackers to hack your system and steal your information, etc... Linux users have been told to use their "Skype for Linux" application from their website. Other Linux Mint users have told me that they use "Rambox" which has Skype and other apps in it and claim it works for them.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Open Chat”