Cloudflare, Mozilla, and DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH)

Chat about just about anything else
Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What's the verdict on this new DNS service?

Post by Charlie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:44 am

I don't really fancy using 9.9.9.9 as the British Police are involved in it.

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:28 am

i think Cloudfare is a hidden agenda in background. far too often i would not be permitted entry into a Cloudfare site only because i use a lot of privacy tools hosts files,canvas blockers,referrer control,webrtc disable, dom storage disable and a few more. and Cloudfare is always telling me browser to enable something otherwise site will not function.
they are now going to gather huge amount of traffic data and you know it's not going to be used for the betterment of mankind but for one purpose only ADVERTISING ... no thanx; i will use https://dns.watch/index as my DNS servers because there is no log even though this is a slow service from Germany i will not mind the lag or delay

Teksonik
Level 3
Level 3

Comparisons of DNS Resolvers

Post by Teksonik » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Has anyone else switched to Cloudflare's DNS 1.1.1.1 ? Seems to be working well here. Any downsides I may not have discovered yet ? :)

https://1.1.1.1/

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see this thread and started a new one. My post was moved from there and merged here.
Last edited by Teksonik on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Charlie wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:44 am
I don't really fancy using 9.9.9.9 as the British Police are involved in it.
Yep - IBM has partnered with The Global Cyber Alliance (GCA) co-founded by the City of London Police, the District Attorney of New York County (that is essentially the NYPD) and the Center for Internet Security (some intelligence agencies) to form 9.9.9.9

The good part is 9.9.9.9 is intended to block domains associated with botnets, phishing attacks, and other malicious Internet hosts.

1.1.1.1 is Cloudflare as Teksonik has pointed out - according to some podcasts that I follow the tests show pretty good performance with the caveat it really depends on where you are in relative to their servers. Some coined the saying, "data is the new oil" big data/data mining is a lucrative business - "they" fill in the blank Facebook, Google etc. want your data - that is the product, your data, that makes them $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Everyone has strong opinions on security/privacy and from whom they want to keep their data/tracking info from so I won't get a rehash of that topic started here. Other than to say you certainly have a right to know who exactly is providing what services on the Internet.

Teksonik
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cloudflare, Mozilla, and DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH)

Post by Teksonik » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:35 pm

This:

"The company's alternative, 1.1.1.1, places a large emphasis on privacy, with a promise to wipe all logs within 24 hours and to never log your IP address. Cloudflare says that it has also hired a firm to audit its code and practices annually and produce a public report to ensure that it is keeping its privacy promises".

https://www.windowscentral.com/cloudfla ... e-internet

Charlie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cloudflare, Mozilla, and DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH)

Post by Charlie » Mon May 07, 2018 6:00 am

Good stuff. I have resorted to running DNS on my router as I had too many issues in Mint. I just wish DNS Crypt was installed on DD-WRT. I just couldn't rely on Mint working 100% no matter what configuration, DNS on my router has less problems, a lot less.

Return to “Open chat”