Am I the only one who still plays CDs?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Do you listen to music CDs?

Yes, I listen to music CDs.
61%
No, I listen to music on my phone or on internet radio.
26%
Meh, I prefer vinyl the most.
13%

Total votes: 46

otacon14112

Am I the only one who still plays CDs?

Post by otacon14112 »

I believe in supporting what you like, whether it's FOSS projects or bands. So over the years, I've collected a decent library of music CDs. I usually just buy cheap used ones on smile.amazon.com but I just think it's more cool to have the CD. Plus I appreciate the better sound quality of a CD over mp3s. I know you can rip lossless audio files, but I just prefer kicking it old skool 8)

So who else still plays CDs? Or do you play vinyl? That's even more cool old skool :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Am I the only one who still plays CDs?

Post by catweazel »

otacon14112 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 am I believe in supporting what you like, whether it's FOSS projects or bands. So over the years, I've collected a decent library of music CDs. I usually just buy cheap used ones on smile.amazon.com but I just think it's more cool to have the CD. Plus I appreciate the better sound quality of a CD over mp3s. I know you can rip lossless audio files, but I just prefer kicking it old skool 8)

So who else still plays CDs?
What's a CD?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

I still buy CDs. I like supporting the band, and I like having something physical. I suppose vinyl is the cool alternative now, but vinyl only started getting popular again more recently and I'm not going to re-buy a physical collection.

But I don't really listen to CDs that much anymore. I buy then rip the albums to MP3 and FLAC.

The CD player I used in my room crapped out 5+ years ago and I never replaced it. I just hooked up a Sansa Clip MP3 player to my speakers and store all the music on the microSD card. But, even that I don't use much anymore, since I tend to listen to the ripped songs on FLAC on my computer since I have better headphones and speakers for my computer.

For the most part, I only listen to CDs in the car. When I get a new album I like to listen to it a few times on CD. I have a long commute alone, so it gives me a chance to focus on the new album with less audio distraction. Then after a few listens I put it on an MP3 player and hook that up to the car with all my other music. But, I'm guessing the next car I get probably won't have a CD player, so maybe I'll never listen to the physical CDs again.

I only have a couple of albums I bought digital only on Bandcamp because they don't have a physical release.

Not a fan of streaming.
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

ugly wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:07 am For the most part, I only listen to CDs in the car. When I get a new album I like to listen to it a few times on CD. I have a long commute alone, so it gives me a chance to focus on the new album with less audio distraction. Then after a few listens I put it on an MP3 player and hook that up to the car with all my other music. But, I'm guessing the next car I get probably won't have a CD player, so maybe I'll never listen to the physical CDs again.

I only have a couple of albums I bought digital only on Bandcamp because they don't have a physical release.

Not a fan of streaming.
I don't really like streaming, either. The only reason I did was two jobs ago, when you weren't allowed to play with your phone on the floor. Streaming was tolerated. I'm not really concerned about newer vehicles not having CD players anymore, because I'll just install my aftermarket system anyway.

What was your vinyl collection?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I still listen to CDs. Lately I've been buying them from the local thrift store for 50 cents. They also have cassettes for 10 cents, and I still have 2 cassette decks here. I also listen to music online. I used to buy vinyl albums and record them to open-reel on the first playing, then put the vinyl away and just listen to the tapes. A lot of those albums mysteriously vanished over the years, but I've still got a few of them: It's a Beautiful Day, Big Brother and the Holding Company: Cheap Thrills, and a few more.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

My entire music collection is on the computer. Depending on what's available and what's cheapest I either buy it in electronic format or get the CD and rip it.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

otacon14112 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 amSo who else still plays CDs? Or do you play vinyl? That's even more cool old skool :)
Me. Having music system and playing mp3 on it is a perversion. Any mp3 destrois original sound regardless what anybody thinks about it. "I can't found differences" some can say. My answer is: "OK, you are happy, but I can."
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Likewise, some 30-40G of MP3s sat on the NAS and accessible from anywhere in the house. In boxes somewhere in the attic are my CDs and vinyl along with 1970s vintage AR4xa speakers, ditton 44s and 15s, armstrong amps and my turntable. When I think back, I spent a month's salary on some of the components.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I don't really listen to music much, but there's no option for that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

CD's are dead.

Vinyl for quality, collectability and 'ownership', streaming for convenience.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

don't like steaming, that much:
- uses way too much bandwidth & I'm not got very much, that can be wasted.
I'd like a bigger CD collection, and maybe expand my LP collection.
8)
& I've managed to acquire a new sound-system, so the possibilities are endless.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I listen to albums but buy them digital. There's not really an option for that either. I do listen to one album at a time, from first to last track, just like CDs.

Usually I buy from https://www.qobuz.com/shop as they give you lossless CD quality downloads in FLAC format, with an easy option to download also in various other formats like MP3. For a premium they offer lossless hi-res audio at 24-Bit up to 192 kHz. I sometimes find music I like on https://bandcamp.com/ and they also give you FLAC downloads (for some reason I only have music from Montreal, Québec from here :lol:). Both allow you to re-download at any moment and you own the downloads. And you can stream the music on your phone with their apps.

When I'm doing things here I'm always listening to music. Aside from gaming and Youtube, with most things I do on the computer I have music on.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

TIme was when I had sensitive ears, a severe MVA in 2001 clobbered that. I live with Tinnitus, hearing aids and loss of "normal" hearing. So, an mp3 is about the only "good" sound I can hear now. Arguably Vinyl is the best medium for "natural" sound except for keeping the bl''''y things clean. CD's, whilst very good are, by their nature, a lossy medium. The big plus of CDs is that they don't suffer from the added noise of dust and rumble from the turntable. To qualify my statement that CD's are lossy, because they are a Digital medium, regardless of how they are encoded, some of the signal gets modified to a series of 1s and 0s. They win out because no one can hear the step frequencies at 44KHz.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

They make nice coasters. :D
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I still play CDs. I still have a remnant of my vinyl LPs and 45s I bought through the years, but no working turntable. I also still have a dual cassette deck, but no music tapes. It's ironic that computers and the digital age has actually been worse for music IMO (I mean in both quality of sound and quality of bands/performers).

Anyone remember MiniDiscs from the 90s? It was a mini CD housed inside of a plastic cover. I used to have a MiniDisc player in my car. They never really broke through in the US. I think they did better in Europe.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Schultz wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:59 amIt's ironic that computers and the digital age has actually been worse for music IMO (I mean in both quality of sound and quality of bands/performers).
+100500
There is no sound quality, music quality nowdays. Whole music industry do nothing but something to fill single criteria: listen loud inside moving car.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

BigEasy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 am
otacon14112 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 amSo who else still plays CDs? Or do you play vinyl? That's even more cool old skool :)
Any mp3 destrois original sound regardless what anybody thinks about it. "I can't found differences" some can say. My answer is: "OK, you are happy, but I can."
This is true. If LPs were smaller, I'd prefer those, because you're right. Sound is, by nature, analog, and any quantization of analog is always lossy. Unfortunately, they're difficult to play in the car :lol:
jimallyn wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:32 am I still listen to CDs. Lately I've been buying them from the local thrift store for 50 cents. They also have cassettes for 10 cents, and I still have 2 cassette decks here. I also listen to music online. I used to buy vinyl albums and record them to open-reel on the first playing, then put the vinyl away and just listen to the tapes. A lot of those albums mysteriously vanished over the years, but I've still got a few of them: It's a Beautiful Day, Big Brother and the Holding Company: Cheap Thrills, and a few more.
That's interesting. I'm not familiar with open-reel. And now, having just googled it, the geek in me is intrigued. Apparently, according to stereo nerds in the search results, R2R owns vinyl in sound quality. One question, though: if the original source is vinyl, how would R2R sound better? My curiosity might have found something new to spend money on now. Thanks a lot! :wink:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

otacon14112 wrote:
Apparently, according to stereo nerds in the search results, R2R owns vinyl in sound quality.
Yes that's true. But you would have to buy the albums in that format (reel) to get the better quality. I know they were available in the 70s, and probably into the 80s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beatles-Le ... 0505.m3226
otacon14112 wrote:
One question, though: if the original source is vinyl, how would R2R sound better?
It wouldn't. Just like a cassette recorded from a vinyl album would sound worse than an album bought in cassette format.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Vinyl? Electronic de-static devices, special sprays and cloths, camel's hair tone-arm brushes, lead in grooves, Thorens, the latest V15, elliptical stylus', anti rumble suspension, recording the first play to 10" Teac 3340s, click and pop machines, companders, handling by the edges, letting the tone arm down gently between tracks, coming home finding the little ones with the bare records scattered around the floor. :x
Yep--those were the days. Nowdays I just click an icon. :mrgreen:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

otacon14112 wrote:
This is true. If LPs were smaller, I'd prefer those, because you're right. Sound is, by nature, analog, and any quantization of analog is always lossy. Unfortunately, they're difficult to play in the car
That made me think of this. Note from 1:15 - 1:55. Ha ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzAlenbshcg

Return to “Open Chat”