Am I the only one who still plays CDs?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Do you listen to music CDs?

Yes, I listen to music CDs.
61%
No, I listen to music on my phone or on internet radio.
26%
Meh, I prefer vinyl the most.
13%

Total votes: 46

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Am I the only one who still plays CDs?

Post by English Invader »

BG405 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:34 pm I wasn't too impressed with some of the non-classical recordings though, for example several of the tracks on "Queen - Greatest Hits II" are truncated to fit them on the CD. Luckily the vinyl release wasn't butchered in this way.
It's funny that you should cite Queen in support of vinyl. Their last three albums (The Miracle, Innuendo and Made in Heaven) were produced with CD in mind and the LP versions have edited and rearranged tracks to accommodate the limitations of the vinyl format.

I guess vinyl won out on GH2 because it was necessary to use 2 LPs anyway while 2 CDs would have seemed like a needless extravagance for the sake of a few minutes.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

Used to love vinyl but gave away my entire record collection to one of my friends. It had been in storage untouched for 20+ years and my old Technics turntable finally found its way into the trash pile during a move long ago. I still have a sizable CD collection, but they were all ripped to our HTPC (running Linux Mint, ofcourse) and we stream ~100GB of music (mix of MP3 and M4A) throughout the house using PLEX on multiple devices. We also can stream our collection anywhere we have internet using PLEX, like on ski vacation in Colorado. That said, I find that we mostly stream internet radio, which I have mixed feelings about. I love how it is convenient and mostly free, but the quality just isn't there. It's fine for casual and background listening but certainly not for critical listening. Soma.FM, SirusXM, Ambient Sleeping Pill & Stillstream are a few of my favorites.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

I own about 700 CDs but have approx. 3000+ mp3 albums (over 700gb).

I listen mainly to anything psych but make a point of buying 3-5 CDs a month (mostly second hand from Amazom for £1) of the stuff I download and really like.

My other criteria is investment. Some of the first prints or limited edition CDs I have now sell for hundreds of pounds on Amazon/eBay...
NoahsArk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoahsArk »

Yes, have hundreds of CD’s. Last one I bought was last week:soundtrack to Paper Moon. Before that some Leonard Cohen. I’ve got too much junk. 78’s, cassette tapes, rare vinyls, mini discs, 160gb iPod, Zen player as well as a ton of sheet music. I often feel as if I am a volunteer victim of consumerism gone berserk.

I used to like jumping off the sofa to turn over the record. At least it kept me fit. Not sure I like listening to mp3’s On the p.c. I’m not gifted with being a multi-tasked person. Tapping the keys to the beat of Creedence doesn’t lend itself well to writing some prose.

All recorded music aside, you just can not beat hearing a full orchestra in the flesh blasting out Beethoven’s 9th or even Copland’s “Billy The Kid”.Wow!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SNZs82BZ9R8

:D
Linux - Il est interdit d' interdire

Return to “Open Chat”