How can I play my smartphone's music in a car that has just radio/CD? (pic included)

Chat about just about anything else
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

How can I play my smartphone's music in a car that has just radio/CD? (pic included)

Post by pepperminty » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm

A car comes with this basic audio system.

It comes with a CD slot, FM and AM. But it can't play the stuff from my Android smartphone. What are the options to make use of the car's speakers? Prefer an inexpensive solution.

P.S. The car is a 2008 Toyota Yaris.
Last edited by pepperminty on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How can I play my smartphone's music in a car that has just radio/CD? (pic included)

Post by phd21 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi pepperminty,

Most places that sell car stereos and car dealers at least in the USA can sell you a new car stereo model with Bluetooth and or an input jack (earphpone jack), and or USB port, to connect various devices like smartphones and mp3 players etc... at pretty reasonable rates.

There are various options for this that can play through your radio. You would pick an FM station (preferably one not being used) on your car's radio and set the device to broadcast on the same FM station. Your phone would connect to this device using Bluetooth, or USB port, or some have microSD slots, etc... and then broadcast (transmit) to and through your car stereo's radio and thus through your car's speakers.

Amazon.com: bluetooth radio transmitter - read the reviews and customer comments, pick 4 star or higher ratings
https://www.amazon.com/bluetooth-radio- ... ransmitter

Amazon.com: Nulaxy KM22 Bluetooth FM Transmitter Wireless In-Car Radio Adapter Car Kit with Power On/Off Button Shuffle Play and EQ Mode - 2018 Model: MP3 Players & Accessories $24us
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778HJVQZ/ref=emc_b_5_i

FYI: when posting a link (URL) to an image from an imaging hosting site like "imgur", using the "rimg" button in the forum toolbar will show the image in your post or reply.

Code: Select all

[rimg]https://i.imgur.com/bYLLUv6.jpg[/rimg]

Hope this helps ...
Imgur_Direct_Link.jpg
Imgur Direct Link with copy button
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How can I play my smartphone's music in a car that has just radio/CD? (pic included)

Post by lsemmens » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:07 am

As Phd21 has stated, there are any number of external devices that plug into your portable player that then transmit on a vacant FM Channel. a quick google on 'FM transmitter' should spoil you for choice. A forum specific to Toyota might give you some options to physically connect into that head unit. There may be a place on the back to plug in a bluetooth kit or the like.
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.7
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm

The device shown is what I use with my iPhone. Works very well when using GPS.
I bought mine through Amazon. Cheap enough.
Used it in a Toyota Camry and a Toyota Corolla.
Edit.
I did notice if I am listening to music with my iPhone when I get into the car with my Bluetooth hearing aids, the device captures the music so I hear the music from the radio and not from my hearing aids when I start the car. Yes, the hearing aids still pick up the sound but not via Bluetooth. If the radio happens to be off, the nothing. Details. lol

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:52 am

pepperminty wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm
What are the options to make use of the car's speakers? Prefer an inexpensive solution.

P.S. The car is a 2008 Toyota Yaris.
Inexpensive? I just did a web-search in an attempt to find out whether or not that factory radio has RCA inputs on the back. My search fu is poor this evening, so I didn't. But I did find a thread that talks about how many Yaris vehicles have the wiring/connector/etc. already there in the vehicle - apparently, under the trim near the gearshift in hatchbacks. I read far enough to discover that the actual factory part that plugs in to the connector there (to the car's wiring harness) is, like most dealer parts, shockingly expensive - $30 to $80+, I think - for a part that costs a few dollars to make.

I read slightly further, and saw people explaining how to make them for very little money.

Now... Your cell phone does not have RCA ports, lol. But it probably has a headphone jack (unless it is one of the ones that the companies decided they'd rather make more money off of their customers than they should). You could - cheaply - construct a headphone jack (or buy a cheap 3.5mm to RCA connector). Then you could spend less than $5 on a short cable that has male 3.5mm plugs on both ends. I picked one up to connect my cell phone to the boss' portable "boombox" when we're working in the boonies and there is no radio reception to speak of.

Once you figure out which specific part would have been included from the factory if you'd paid for the option (appears to be different, hatchback vs. trunk models?), you can also go look in your local junkyard. Things like that generally cost around $5 here - and I cannot see how you'd find one that has stopped functioning, lol, because it's a dead-simple part. And that brand of vehicle is popular enough with teenagers and twentysomethings that the junkyards ought to be full of them :lol: .

Oh, here is the thread I found:

Code: Select all

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17841
As you see, it is on a YARIS forum. Therefore, even if you do not find a cheap solution by reading that specific thread, you should be able to find one there somewhere (most likely, by reading an existing thread, but at least by posting a question).

This forum of ours is a great one - but it is a Linux Mint forum, not a Yaris one or even a general automotive audio one. Therefore, you'll be far more likely to get replies in which people suggest bluetooth adaptors instead of suggesting that you can fix your problem with a cheap, far more robust and reliable (IMHO) solution.

I'm all for technology, lol. But not as a replacement for something that works perfectly well to begin with.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am

I needed the Bluetooth adapter for cars because the iPhone does not have an audio jack, only Bluetooth.
Corolla radio has an audio jack.
Camry radio has no audio jack.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Here is a pic of the rear of my audio system.

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:52 am
Now... Your cell phone does not have RCA ports, lol. But it probably has a headphone jack.

Yes, it does have a headphone jack.
MtnDewManiac wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:52 am

Once you figure out which specific part would have been included from the factory if you'd paid for the option (appears to be different, hatchback vs. trunk models?), you can also go look in your local junkyard.

I have the trunk model.

Return to “Open chat”