Resizing, repartitioning bootsticks

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
vansloneker

Resizing, repartitioning bootsticks

Post by vansloneker »

I have a number of bootsticks with installers and tools. Think of the Linx Mint installer, Windows installer, Clonezilla, Ghost, etc. I try to score and use as much old and small sized USB sticks as possible, but often they are larger as the actual image. So a lot of space remains unused. It is easy to resize the main partition and create extra storage partitions on them, but could this affect the boot-ability of the primary partition? It's a thought and I am curious about the opinions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Resizing, repartitioning bootsticks

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I am assuming that you are actually trying to create multiboot USBs...if so, yes you can do it...the following articles will show you what software programs to use and how to do it...the first one is for linux, the second one is for windows...hope this is of some help for you...DAMIEN

https://itsfoss.com/multiple-linux-one-usb/

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-put-multip ... -usb-disk/
vansloneker

Re: Resizing, repartitioning bootsticks

Post by vansloneker »

No, it's not about creating multi-boot sticks, but thanks anyway for your thoughts. Actually I have experimented with multi-boot sticks before and recently and I only ever got E2B to work. I think it's a good option to collect a number of less used ISO's on, but for frequently used ISO's I prefer a single stick that will boot just that without the hassle of a menu etcetera.

Imagine writing a Linux Mint image to a 8GB stick. It's less than 2GB, so about 6GB's are unused. Suppose I resize the main partition to 2GB, and create a 6GB partition in the free space, to use for whatever. Will this affect executing the main bootable partition -booting the Linux Mint installer?

Return to “Open Chat”