Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by KBD47 »

I take it that Firefox's onboard tracking blocker does not stop Facebook trackers? How about Privacy Badger?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

yes...privacy badger does, though i do it manually with it...until i have it totally trained, i click it on with every page i open and anyplace i see facebook, i drag the slider to block...works great...DAMIEN
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:14 pm yes...privacy badger does, though i do it manually with it...until i have it totally trained, i click it on with every page i open and anyplace i see facebook, i drag the slider to block...works great...DAMIEN
Nice tip. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this i found to be hilarious...i went to read an article from fossbytes viral news talking about how 1 in 10 USA users of facebook have deleted their accounts due to them tracking, misuse of data gathering etc. but in order to read the article from techradar.com...i got this message...

AD BLOCKER INTERFERENCE DETECTED

Thank you for visiting this site. Unfortunately we have detected that you might be running custom adblocking scripts or installations that might interfere with the running of the site.

We don't mind you running adblocker, but could you please either disable these scripts or alternatively whitelist the site, in order to continue. Thanks for your support!

needless to say, it wasnt my ublock origin or the ublock origin extra i have with everything enabled, that bothered them...it was the privacy badger which was blocking them from tracking and sucking up info like a hoover vacuum (it had over 15 different entities try to track me)...i found that to be wildly absurd...needless to say, i fired off an email to them letting them no just how ludicrous this sounded...they write the article and then do the exact same thing themselves?bwahahahahah...DAMIEN
Penn

Post by Penn »

Moem wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:35 am
Penn wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 am Yes, those people agreed to it but can you see how they didn't even know what they agreed to even if they read the agreement?
Plus, the terms and conditions change all the time. Just because your FB privacy is set to maximum for now, that doesn't mean it will still be like that tomorrow.
Hate to bring up "old news" but this is so true and perhaps the most annoying thing I find in all the world of EULAs. The are indeed subject to change.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I deleted my Facebook account and stopped using Google and my ISP's email - my wife buys everything on Amazon so I am stuck there. The reality is the compromised privacy train left the station a long long time ago in my case so I fear my actions are only symbolic . . . . . oh well. :(
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I stopped using Facebook about 8 years ago or so. Even still, during the pursuit of my Master's degree in Cybersecurity, I learned well before the Cambridge Analytica shenanigans that Facebook couldn't be trusted to protect your privacy. I'm glad that scandal broke, but the truth of the matter is that there are so many people, especially the younger generation, who are so incredibly addicted to "Likes" and the attention they get on Facebook that they readily put their privacy aside to get their fix. Facebook's trust and stock value may have taken a temporary hit, but it will soon recover and people will go right on willingly trading their privacy for "Likes".
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:53 pm But I rarely go on there, it is just plain slow, and nothing is logical. I can't work out how to see only the relevant stuff, no do I have the time, nor inclination, to find out how.
If you're referring to the news feed showing a "random" selection of posts, that's something I find infuriating. Set feed to "Most Recent" and next time you look, they have set it back to "Top news". Arrogant? I'd use more descriptive terms, but not on here. :evil:
Moem wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:35 am Plus, the terms and conditions change all the time. Just because your FB privacy is set to maximum for now, that doesn't mean it will still be like that tomorrow.
Exactly, especially considering the above. Sufficient proof that they see fit to impose THEIR preferences, without telling you. I would need to see evidence before believing that privacy settings are excepted.
coffee412 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am As it stands right now congress is looking to impose more laws on social sites. That IMO is the worst thing you can do. Just let the free market take care of things on this issue.
I agree, as this takes the onus (and perceived guilt) away from the owners & operators of the sites in question and gives the distinct impression to the general population that it's OK to use it now because it's regulated. What SHOULD happen instead is that people vote with their feet.
Penn wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 am If, ... interceding on a legal level is to happen it needs to be focused on making sure people truly know what they agree to.
Exactly my thoughts too! :wink:
Penn wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 am Install an app on an Android device and it tells you what that app has access to. It is now becoming apparent that some of those apps that allow access to the mic actually listen to you and market based on words their databases are hearing.
Same with Windows phones. I caught Cortana listening in even though supposedly turned off.

It (Cortana) suddenly announced that it couldn't find relevant results for a search it had just performed based on conversation about the current news topics, or whatever it had picked up from the TV itself, bloody good job it missed the bits which would require a solicitor.

At least Facebook doesn't listen in .. or, does it? Maybe so on voice-enabled devices & via third-party apps?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Penn

Post by Penn »

BG405 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:50 am At least Facebook doesn't listen in .. or, does it? Maybe so on voice-enabled devices & via third-party apps?
Yes, it was all three vectors of Facebook, Gmail and browser (I don't know which) showed relevant ads the couple says didn't occur before.

Out of curiosity I looked to see any recent videos or news on this subject since the ones I saw in the past were around half a year ago. From a week ago (and yes, I am aware of the irony youtube is owned by one of the main offenders) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBnDWSvaQ1I

More on the point I was getting at before about people naively pointing fingers in only one direction (lately just Google or Facebook) - the white box next to the start button in that guy's video seems to be Cortana, also allegedly used to listen the same way so that would mean the guy's own OS is listening too. What about the culpability of the websites visited that showed the relevant ads? The companies selling the products and the go between advertising agencies? Are all just as guilty in your mind?

But the hashtags against Facebook I hear people talk about surely means Twitter isn't doing it, right? LOL
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

Social networks are a scourge. I deleted my FB profile. Yeah I miss out on info and stuff happening, and when I tell them that I didn't know about something, they're like, "Well, everyone heard about it on FB." It's getting to the point that cell phones reached... society expecting to always be able to contact you no matter where or when. I'm very introverted, and so I don't miss FB one bit, nor do I want a cellphone. But my family doesn't want to pay for a landline phone, so I'm basically FORCED into it by passive aggressiveness by society, and I deeply resent that.

I'm not a big fan of socializing, and I don't talk much. But since landline phones are gone, cell phones are pretty much the only kind of """phone""" now. I use email and IRC, and that's about it. But people are basically required to have a cell phone now, because you can't do a lot of things because they require phone numbers. Social networking is getting to be that way, too. There are a lot of people I can't communicate with, because they prefer FB for everything, and I don't use it.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi otacon...im the opposite...im a total extrovert but agree with you about anything called social networking like facebook, twitter, instagram...you name it, im against it...and yep...totally agree with you on phones...im a firm believer that alexander graham bell should have been strangled in his cradle with his own telephone cable...i also tell everyone...i dont text...you want me, then call me...or email me...or snail mail me...otherwise you are more screwed than a football bat...for people that dont get this remark, have you ever seen a football bat?...thats the point of how screwed you are in contacting me then without following the only way to contact me that i allow...lol...DAMIEN
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Protect yourself from Facebook

Post by lsemmens »

Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi isemmens...and this pic means what? maybe im too old now and dont understand the moderninity of the new generation...leaks?....hell no....facebook does not leak...its a hoover vacuum cleaner, just like google...DAMIEN
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

Yeah, that's true. Facebook itself is a virus that tracks you around even if you never opt in to use it, because their code is embedded in every ad code on the dominant market.

That's why I only broker ad deals through "mom and pops" or self employed site owners. No tracking codes and, guess what, because the ads they pay for do not rely on ad code (they're simply pictures and .gifs hosted onsite), they ALWAYS display. And never prey :)

This is the best ethical model, as far as I can tell. Everyone wins.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
willieaames

Post by willieaames »

Use a separate browser for just facebook and google logins because they are tracking everything you do in that browser. Of course, Politicians just made it legal for ISPs to sell all your browsing data -- so, we are screwed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:21 pm hi isemmens...and this pic means what? maybe im too old now and dont understand the moderninity of the new generation...leaks?....hell no....facebook does not leak...its a hoover vacuum cleaner, just like google...DAMIEN
Uh. . . Damien it's a condom
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hahahahah...its official majpooper, i am too old now if i missed that...i probably would have seen that 50 yrs ago...lol...DAMIEN
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Sorry, Damien, I just took your post in the same manner in which I posted the piccie. Sorry I did not explain. You're right, Google, Faceache, Tinder etc, are all suckers, or was that FOR......
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

dont be sorry...lol...i find it highly amusing...DAMIEN
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Because once they have all your data, it's perfectly safe, right?
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... alk-women/

Return to “Open Chat”