Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Portreve »

Well, for me it's TWO DAYS until I shut down my Facebook account.

Will keep you all posted on updates.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

BG405 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 am
Vierling wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 am What's that documentary called, BG405? I guess I'm just too curious. lol
Inside Facebook: Secrets of the Social Network: Dispatches goes undercover in the secretive world of Facebook content moderators. Available on catch-up TV. Again: WARNING very upsetting.
I would like to check it out as well - I tried looking for BBC channel 4 social media documentary and so forth but I am having trouble finding it. I may look on ACORN which is a subscription like NETFLIX but just UK, AUS, NZ TV (I am really hooked on AUS TV - it's older stuff so you get the whole season which they call a series)
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

majpooper wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:52 pm
BG405 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 am
Vierling wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 am What's that documentary called, BG405? I guess I'm just too curious. lol
Inside Facebook: Secrets of the Social Network: Dispatches goes undercover in the secretive world of Facebook content moderators. Available on catch-up TV. Again: WARNING very upsetting.
I would like to check it out as well - I tried looking for BBC channel 4 social media documentary and so forth but I am having trouble finding it. I may look on ACORN which is a subscription like NETFLIX but just UK, AUS, NZ TV (I am really hooked on AUS TV - it's older stuff so you get the whole season which they call a series)
Here is a link:
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/ins ... /67241-001

I just watched it and it did make me feel quite uneasy. I don't have a Facebook account, because I have just never wanted one. Watching this has ensured that I never will have one. Some companies you just don't want to give money to.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

You can't watch it from every country. But it's also on YouTube
https://youtu.be/8Qc3wpS6IVc
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I used MySpace for a little while way back in 2005. Got rid of it when it started getting overran with tweens and bots. I used FB for a little while also back when it first moved off Harvard's campus and became open to the public (who remembers the wall flair?). I lost interest in it quickly after that and even got rid of my Twitter account too. I have never had Instagram or Snapchat or whatever that one is where the hipsters posted pictures of their food. Once I started working on my Master's in Cybersecurity I saw just how invasive social media is, and I was so glad I swore it off. Of course, I have nothing to hide, but that's not the point. So yeah, no social media for this guy.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Just stumbled across this article from 2016 on a topic about ad blocking https://medium.com/@fin.tech/does-adblo ... 4fb0ee0388. It highlights:
— A valuable male’s yearly data on Facebook is worth an average of $30.38 when sold to advertisers to deliver an ad

— A valuable female’s yearly data on Facebook is worth about $37.98 per user data year when sold to advertisers to deliver an ad
So why do we need ads and tracking and privacy invasion on Facebook? Just charge $2 a month for a subscription and be an ethical company.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Gee - they would have to charge the Ladies around $3.50 a month, surely ?
and maybe the Guys something around $2.50 a month ??.

otherwise, their business model, would not be as good, as it is now. .
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Depends on what the criteria is for "valuable" and what percentage of the users meet that. I'm ballparking an average.

Upon second thought, Facebook could save a ton of money if they don't do ads. As the website becomes less complex they can save on all overhead costs in staff and operations associated with selling and displaying ads on the website, tracking users across the Internet and collecting data on them. Cut that away and you remove the most complex parts of Facebook I'd imagine.

But what do I know. I don't use Facebook and since they're abusing the new EU privacy law to share personal data from WhatsApp users to Facebook (we were forced to accept new terms of use, which added that the user gave consent to WhatsApp for sharing all the user's data with Facebook, or couldn't continue to use WhatsApp), I've deleted WhatsApp. Using Signal now which works just as good and is funded by a non-profit foundation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Facebook has asked large U.S. banks to share detailed financial information about customers: https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-t ... 1533564049

Get out now folks, while you still can...
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:16 pm Facebook has asked large U.S. banks to share detailed financial information about customers: https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-t ... 1533564049

Get out now folks, while you still can...
Is that even legal in most countries?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I put in for a complete deletion of my Facebook account. Never liked it but got one so that I could keep in contact to meet with former co-workers. That's fizzled out, so I don't go on it much at all.

The final straw was trying to get an email address to my cousin and Facebook kept truncating it. :evil:

I'm done!!!
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Just deleted my what$suck$, faciesbook will follow friday so my friends have time to read my last post on faciesbook. They knew it was coming.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I have been a lonely voice "crying out in the wilderness" for years about fakebook...that is why i started this thread...never had fakebook or used it myself, but was able to perceive early on just how evil it would become...it has come to pass...thank-you zenopeek for assisting with the clarion call ("Get out now folks, while you still can...")...just in case one wants to know, ive also de-googlefied myself over a year ago with some admittedly extreme methods but it works...no more tracking and i use NO google services either, not even google maps...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

when your facebook accts are deleted, that does not stop them from still tracing you all across the web...i use these 2 ext.s in my "chromium" browser w/ startpage search engine to help ward that off...have no idea what the firefox browsers can use though...DAMIEN

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bonbfmlnfm

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... lmjkfidoef
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

That article is unfortunately behind a pay-wall for me, but the headline, if an actual quote, stinks of corporate control. How, exactly, do they "give" "their" users to the banks? They own us, then? Well, in my interpretation of this, they evidently think they do. :x
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

An alternative source: https://thenextweb.com/facebook/2018/08 ... cial-data/

This follows the earlier plans where Facebook asked hospitals to share data about their patients: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/faceboo ... itals.html
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

As someone that has worked in aspects of data security, i had opened a bogus Facebook account years ago (like maybe 8 years or so) to sniff it out. It basically is a personal data gathering software, at it's core.

So yeah i never used it and advise all that feel they have to, to use it with fake details (not sure you can do that any more) and to keep all personal info off it (like photos etc). I guess time has shown i was right to be so cautious about it ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
idle

Post by idle »

Its a control grid being implemented in increments. Facebook, Google and so on are simply tools for a much larger agenda of control. If people can't see this by now you haven't been paying attention. Banking/financial data, medical data and so on are all part of a much larger control system. The push for a cashless system, its all part of the same agenda. Technology is now available for the first time in human history to make this a reality. A complete control grid for the masses under globalisms all seeing eye. Most people will simply dismiss this as goofy conspiracy theory nonsense unfortunately. Oh well, it was all predicted long long ago, but you can't mention that either. Funny how things turn out without even realizing it ...
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Facebook wants to add financial info to everything else it gathers on users:
On Monday, the Wall Street Journal revealed that the social media giant had approached several large American banks – including JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citigroup US Bancorp – looking to sign partnerships where they would share their data in return for Facebook connecting its billions of users to their services.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/0 ... king_data/
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

KBD47 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 pm Facebook wants to add financial info to everything else it gathers on users:
On Monday, the Wall Street Journal revealed that the social media giant had approached several large American banks – including JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citigroup US Bancorp – looking to sign partnerships where they would share their data in return for Facebook connecting its billions of users to their services.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/0 ... king_data/
That is going too far. Glad I killed Fakebook a long time ago.

Return to “Open Chat”