Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by GS3 »

Youtube is another case of how crazy things have gone. You can show people getting maimed or beat up or killed but you can't show a breast or a cute little mouse or rat getting caught in a trap. It is just crazy.

I follow https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos which has videos about rodent traps and survival techniques and resources. The guy has had a ton of problems with censorship because videos showing mice or rats getting killed get age restricted and you have to log in to prove your age (like that proves anything). I do not have an account and even if I had one I would refuse to log in just to watch a video. But I noticed the guy can post the video on his web site and you can watch it there without restriction but not directly on youtube.

So take this video Antique Style Spike Hammer Mousetrap. He cannot show images if it actually killing a mouse so he links to another video on his web site but you cannot watch the other video directly on youtube. I finally figured out that all you have to do to watch it directly in Youtube is "embed it".

Here is the censored video at his website: https://new.mousetrapmonday.com/videos/ ... sted-link/

Here it is in Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1IvHl5Xsf8 but if you are not logged in to Youtube you cannot watch it. Youtube and the authorities need to keep track of who watches mousetrap videos. I guess it could be considered an aggravating circumstance if you are later caught enlisted in the DAESH ... or something.

But change the URL to this and you can see it: https://www.youtube.com/embed/k1IvHl5Xsf8

Another censored video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/bGVU7SJNgk8

He just posted today a video about making fire with a stick and bow and is scared that Youtube might censor it because they've been censoring some of his survival videos.

It is so ridiculous it is beyond words.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Censorship is a tricky thing because anything can be offensive to anyone. I don't trust Zuck and his crew or Google to decide what is 'fake news' or what should be censored. Zuck could not even explain what 'fake news' is when asked by congress, yet he will be censoring it. I wonder if no censorship is better than select censorship by people who have completely different values and views than their users.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

As of the time of this post, I haven't been on Facebook for quite a while, maybe 6 months, maybe a year. I might have to break that absence though as it's the only present way of communicating with a friend who I haven't seen in ages, after a catch-up at my local the other night. She's been on her travels & is moving to London in a week or so.

As for all the stuff I have on FB, I will probably be removing most of it. Already removed my real name several years ago.

Do I trust it?

No.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I do not quite understand people who say "I need to use Facebook because it is the only way to communicate with X". If anybody says to me "if you want to communicate with me it has to be on my terms and that is Facebook" I'd think they did not have much interest in communicating with me.

My position is that there is email and other non-proprietary channels and forcing me to use Facebook is like trying to force me to use an iPhone. Sorry but no.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

GS3 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:11 pm I do not quite understand people who say "I need to use Facebook because it is the only way to communicate with X".
True.

In my case it's a temporary glitch; a stopgap, pending more suitable methods of future communication. I don't have her email address yet as it was too busy & need to send a few pictures she is interested in (I adopted her kittens over half a decade ago & she hasn't seen recent photos). Just thought in this case use what is already available.

For very occasional use such as this, it's probably not going to be much worse privacy- and datamining-wise than more regular communication via other means. It depends on how much stuff you've shared and in my case this is unfortunately too much.

Problem is, too many are too used to having everything in one place. But, that can be done with emails too .. and chat, for those who use it (not my cup of tea).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

BG405 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 pm ...
For very occasional use such as this, it's probably not going to be much worse privacy- and datamining-wise than more regular communication via other means. It depends on how much stuff you've shared and in my case this is unfortunately too much.
it doesn't depend on how much you PERSONALLY posted on facebook, once you have an account facebook will now use every third-party cookie to see where you been on the internet today, what you bought, what videos you watched on youtube, where you came from and which page you switch to then comeback ... have you noticed all the recent revisions to TERMS OF SERVICE and PRIVACY POLICY on every thing you sign in to? you know what that is? it's the new conglomeration of advertising and tracking that can SUCK anything they can find useful and sell it for profit while you post a picture of your new gran kids. has anyone actually read the facebook terms of service and privacy policy and all the related policies you don't even see posted?
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

It's really not a question of trust. It's social media; your privacy is almost nonexistent. For me, I have a life. I don't have extra hours in the day to spend on Facebook. When I WAS on Facebook, I realized it was consuming all of my free time. Goodbye Facebook!
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

An Asian-American man filmed a woman hurling racist insults at him and he put the video up on his Facebook. Facebook immediately suspended his account.

https://nextshark.com/country-woman-rac ... e-fremont/
In an ironic and unjust twist, Ahn’s FaceBook account was apparently suspended and the video removed from the platform. “Facebook suspended James Ahn’s account for the video being against their hate speech policy,” commented, Oh Ajin, a friend of Ahn. Oh then provided a link to the video on YouTube, directing them to watch the incident there.
The world needs more common sense. It will not be found in Facebook.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

CaptainKirksChair wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 am It's really not a question of trust.
Oh, in a way it is. You can trust Facebook to slurp up as much of your data as they possibly can, and to sell it to the highest bidder. :twisted:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

You can't make this up

Post by GS3 »

Facebook asks users for nude photos in project to combat 'revenge <violates forum rules>'

Send me your photos where you are having sex so I can protect them appropriately. Yeah, sure.

And this forum censors that one word in the headline. All this is just surreal.

I remember many years ago I signed up to some forum with the name Pachinko and it was automatically censored to "Pa****o". All my posts appeared as posted by "Pa****o".

As I say, political correctness has taken the place of common sense. And it's not only Facebook.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

A South Carolina Publix grocery store thought Jacob Koscinski's "summa cum laude" honor was inappropriate and the word "cum" was censored from his cake which read "summa --- laude".

http://www.wdam.com/story/38245333/summ ... ation-cake
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Moem wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 am
CaptainKirksChair wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 am It's really not a question of trust.
Oh, in a way it is. You can trust Facebook to slurp up as much of your data as they possibly can, and to sell it to the highest bidder. :twisted:
Touche'
anjomor

Post by anjomor »

Not that I don't trust Facebook, I guess it is more of I grew tired of using it. I only post once in a blue moon, but I do check it from time to time for my friend's update or message on messenger. I am more of Twitter user right now, and also there's more life other than wasting so much time on social media. I have been busy doing hiking with my Labrador Retriever, that has finally appreciated wearing dog shoes for quite some time. Most of my photos nowadays can be seen on IG. I guess FB is not my favorite social media anymore. And also, I don't like the new features that Mark Z. included especially the dating platform that is similar to Tinder that is a no-no for me.
Last edited by anjomor on Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

No problem. IG is owned by the same company
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

an Rather interesting Thing happen Tonight:

on the Television on PrimeTime viewing - - was an Advertisement from Facebook :!:
- promoting their new Security & Privacy Policy - for Australia :o
and giving an URL to an Facebook/AU web page.

that would have cost Facebook some amount of $$$ to both Produce & Display it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Freedom from Facebook

of course you could just delete your account
¡Viva la Resistencia!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 am on the Television on PrimeTime viewing - - was an Advertisement from Facebook :!:
They're doing the same thing here in Blighty. Now, if they feel the need to ADVERTISE, they must be seriously worried about their reputation .. but in doing so, I think they've made it worse.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 am an Rather interesting Thing happen Tonight:

on the Television on PrimeTime viewing - - was an Advertisement from Facebook :!:
- promoting their new Security & Privacy Policy - for Australia :o
and giving an URL to an Facebook/AU web page.

that would have cost Facebook some amount of $$$ to both Produce & Display it.
I saw that here in the states as well. Hard to keep from laughing "security and privacy" from Facebook, right. :roll:
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

mike acker wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 am Freedom from Facebook

of course you could just delete your account
I never had a Facebook account and I don't think I ever will but I would suggest Wechat as an alternative.
http://www.businessinsider.com/wechat-h ... 018-3?IR=T

China's popular messaging app WeChat now counts 1 billion monthly active users (MAU) worldwide, up 12% from 889 million MAU in Q4 2016, according to Tencent CEO Pony Ma.

Ma said the platform reached the record figure during last month's Lunar New Year Festival. However, it's important to note that Tencent refers to MAU as user accounts, rather than individuals.

WeChat users can create multiple accounts, and it's common for a user to create both a personal account and a business account. For WeChat users, the app acts as a central hub of the digital world — consumers use it to perform tasks ranging from texting and calling friends, to paying bills for goods and services, to booking doctor appointments.

WeChat's recent user growth is likely driven by international users. Most of the recent user growth likely came from Southeast Asia, Europe, and the US, according to founder of WeChat-focused consultancy ChinaChannel Matthew Brennan.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

coffee412 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am
I have always been a believer that the free market takes care of its own problems. If you do not agree with facebook policies then just dont use it. As it stands right now congress is looking to impose more laws on social sites. That IMO is the worst thing you can do. Just let the free market take care of things on this issue.
Since when did the so called "Free Market"ever took care of its problems? The big problem with Facebook along with other such companies is that that they collecting, using, and selling the information of other people besides their users.

I for one have no issues laws being passed and enforced to make Corporations behave.

Return to “Open Chat”