Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OK...i know i have always railed against Facebook for many years and refused to never use it or any "social internet/web services" such as twitter, my space etc...but i think that recent "situations" have pretty much proved my point of view in just how untrustworthy these entities can be in "protecting" our privacy and information...here also is an interesting article that goes along with my question... https://fossbytes.com/facebook-data-col ... -profiles/ ...Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?...i have actually had to purposely block them from tracking me online even though i have never been a member...(this is mentioned in the above article)...they also suck out "your" info if a facebook member happens to use anything from you in their facebook postings...you of course have no choice then how your info is misused...privacy badger has shown me that they are tracking even the news sites on line that i read daily...i also installed an extension called "block facebook" from the chrome/chromium extensions (i use chromium)... https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... lmjkfidoef ...it seems to work well so far...looking forward to hearing from other folks here on the forum who also are going to "just say no" to anymore of this...enjoy article and commenting...(its ok to disagree with me as well...we are all adult enough to disagree without being disagreeable)...DAMIEN
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ddayhtx

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by ddayhtx »

I don't and won't again.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

I never trusted facebook. But I use it to stay in touch with a few friends who live in other countries. My page is "private" post are only visible for friends (and $uckerberg ofcourse 8) ). Yeah I hate it, but sometimes it's convenient.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I use it because of the tremendous drop in motorcycle forum members frequenting the forums.
But most of my posts are restricted to "Friends". I have my profile shut down to only "Friends".
that is not perfect, but nothing we do in this world is.

My profile is very thin, none of that crap about where I work, or went to school, etc.
----------------------------------

The cellphone has killed good forums, they are all hurting as it is so much easier to just pull out the cellphone, and make a fast post "Hey guys, having a great time meeting up with my friends here at Granny's Restaurant in Huntsville, AR"

and I posted just that yesterday..
Today was Awesome!!!
met up with a lot of motorcycle friends at Granny's Kitchen in Huntsville, AR.. great food....
:
Home! at 5:20

What a wonderful day I had, seeing all of you again, even if you guys were an hour late :rofl:

Jim, Redbud was a fantastic experience for me.... we have so many parallels in life, ham radio since we were kids, he too loves Morse Code, 'CW' and that took up at least a half hour...

Similar military experience, sort of... he went Navy Aviation repair, I went Air Force radio repair.
both of us got our trades in the military because of our electronics backgrounds.

We stopped in Kansas, OK at the Conoco station... very clean place and pleasant folks there.

We sat there about 1 hr, 20 minutes visiting back and forth, he too was raised with horses, lived in Jenks, OK at the same time my sister was training quarter horses there in Jenks.... they had to have bumped into each other. this was back in the '70s.

Funny story, my bike has Ghosts in it, the kind that talk to you.....
Turned off the CB and I still kept hearing a guy talking to me once in a while.

Turned off everything, Audio, Intercom, CB.... that guy is still talking to me.
Stopped and turned off my cell phone, and that guy is still talking to me....
Not all the time, just every few miles I would hear a blurb: a man speaking for about 3 to 6 seconds....

Pulled into the garage, put the bike up, and the GPS blurted out "Traffic Advisory 5 miles ahead"

:rofl:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm of two minds on this subject.

In general, I don't really give a crap about the information I have up on Facebook. Also, I don't post (at this point, 99% of my posts there are autoposts via Twitter's FB connection) anything on Facebook that I wouldn't want the world to see.

I only use FB to keep in touch with friends (like Bolle1961 above) and so it's pretty rare that I post something directly on FB.

The thing is I can't get my friends to set up any other form of communication. If they would, I'd seriously consider pulling the plug on it.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Faceache and I are strangers that meet rarely. I use it to keep tack of what my tribe are up to because they are all over the country. But I rarely go on there, it is just plain slow, and nothing is logical. I can't work out how to see only the relevant stuff, no do I have the time, nor inclination, to find out how. Yes, I know, they have as much info on me as google.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

I left Facebook in 2009 and never looked back.

However in 2012 or 13 I made a fake one (lol) because I played some app that gave me in-game points for linking my fake, sandboxed Facebook account. Then I used my fake account to get a real apartment in New York.

Now I live in NYC. So...thanks, Facebook? Also, I have to thank Facebook for getting me super laid between 2004-09 RIP main account, you served me well.

Marko Zuckerberg, see you in Hell
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I never used or trusted it to begin with. It's like smoking: if you never start, you'll never have to quit.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Faust

Post by Faust »

Portreve wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:11 pm .............
The thing is I can't get my friends to set up any other form of communication. If they would, I'd seriously consider pulling the plug on it.
That right there is the root of most problems in this area ..... the domination of one major provider , and the widely accepted view
that a particular service is " the best " , because so many people use it .

The same " reasoning " goes equally for Skype versus Tox , Jitsi , etc.

There are much better ways of doing these things now , but they aren't much use if nobody will switch !
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:09 pm OK...i know i have always railed against Facebook for many years and refused to never use it or any "social internet/web services" such as twitter, my space etc...
I think you'd have to be nuts to trust any of them in the first place.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

if ya'all like a good laugh this morning:

U.S. Government to Facebook: 'Americans Don't Like to Be Spied On'
Listen rabbit said the donkey, "critter: ya got long ears!"
Facebook is the peeping tom of the internet and the ears of the NSA are wired into the entire planet.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

mike acker wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:28 am if ya'all like a good laugh this morning:

U.S. Government to Facebook: 'Americans Don't Like to Be Spied On'
Listen rabbit said the donkey, "critter: ya got long ears!"
Facebook is the peeping tom of the internet and the ears of the NSA are wired into the entire planet.
Just a touch Oxymoronic! At least I finally got an excuse to 'delete' my account.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I tried an account when they first started. After seeing how they treat personal information in their rules I looked at deleting my account. I could not find a way so I just abandoned it. I do not use any social sites like others have posted.

I do not understand the witch hunt on Old Zuck because in their ULA (rules) it states how they would use your information and its a pretty known fact circulating around the web that they do. So many people say "I have nothing to hide" and other such claims but then for some reason he is in trouble with using/selling your information. I understand that people do not read the ULA and just click OK and proceed. However, Thats not Zuck's fault except that it was difficult to read.

What I found funny was congress asking Zuck questions. Congress really doesnt even know what they are talking about half the time and at one point Zuck (and I) could not even understand one senators question even though she stated it several times - lol!

I have always been a believer that the free market takes care of its own problems. If you do not agree with facebook policies then just dont use it. As it stands right now congress is looking to impose more laws on social sites. That IMO is the worst thing you can do. Just let the free market take care of things on this issue.

I have told people about the problems of using social sites like this and they all look at me as some sort of 'Tin Foil' hat guy. Now its unfolding before their eyes. Just wait for the "Storing in the cloud" problems to start surfacing in the not so distant future too! Its going to happen. I warned everyone about that too. But they continue to do it ignoring common sense. Oh well....

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Bolle1961 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:51 pm I never trusted facebook. But I use it to stay in touch with a few friends who live in other countries. My page is "private" post are only visible for friends (and $uckerberg ofcourse 8) ). Yeah I hate it, but sometimes it's convenient.
+1 here.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

coffee412 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am If you do not agree with facebook policies then just dont use it.
I don't use it, and guess what? They still have a 'shadow profile' about me.

Leaving everything to the free market is the worst way to protect consumers, as it doesn't care about their wellbeing. For that, we need governments.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

Moem wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:22 am I don't use it, and guess what? They still have a 'shadow profile' about me.
That's right, and what gets me is that this has been known for a long time.
It was a while ago when it came out that the founder called Facebook users a bunch of ...
I would direct people to the "proofs", and they would shrug and talk about how it didn't matter. Facebook was too handy/ enjoyable, and they had nothing to hide.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Redact wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am It was a while ago when it came out that the founder called Facebook users a bunch of ...
... shall we say, 'dumb ducks'. :wink:

Penn

Post by Penn »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:09 pm refused to never use it or any "social internet/web services" such as twitter, my space etc...
Yet people focus on just Facebook and laughably even went to Twitter to complain. All of them do the same thing Facebook is being criticized for. Add to the that list Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and so many others. Now add Prism and it isn't just businesses but governments (not just one).
coffee412 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am I do not understand the witch hunt on Old Zuck because in their ULA (rules) it states how they would use your information and its a pretty known fact circulating around the web that they do. So many people say "I have nothing to hide" and other such claims but then for some reason he is in trouble with using/selling your information. I understand that people do not read the ULA and just click OK and proceed. However, Thats not Zuck's fault except that it was difficult to read....

I have always been a believer that the free market takes care of its own problems. If you do not agree with facebook policies then just dont use it. As it stands right now congress is looking to impose more laws on social sites. That IMO is the worst thing you can do. Just let the free market take care of things on this issue.
Yep. People agreed to it.

Normally I agree when people say "let the free market take care of things" but I wonder if this is an exception. The problem there is how people apply "solutions". All EULAs are overly complicated so people don't read them. If, and that is a big IF since I prefer less government instead of more, interceding on a legal level is to happen it needs to be focused on making sure people truly know what they agree to.

Install an app on an Android device and it tells you what that app has access to. It is now becoming apparent that some of those apps that allow access to the mic actually listen to you and market based on words their databases are hearing. I know someone this happened to. Granted I can't prove it but anecdotal evidence is there and unfortunately I may have stirred the conversations that led to it. I used my own devices to show them some videos mostly relating to wildlife and pets and the next few days that couple had multiple in person conversations about pets (not using electronic devices such as texting) and suddenly they were inundated with emails for such things as pet stores and services. One had and Android the other an Iphone and both people received the ads. Amazon started putting pet supplies in recommended items even though the woman had never even searched Amazon for anything pet related.

Yes, those people agreed to it but can you see how they didn't even know what they agreed to even if they read the agreement?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Penn wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 am Yes, those people agreed to it but can you see how they didn't even know what they agreed to even if they read the agreement?
Plus, the terms and conditions change all the time. Just because your FB privacy is set to maximum for now, that doesn't mean it will still be like that tomorrow.

idle

Post by idle »

Social Network Ghettos is how I describe all those platforms.

Return to “Open Chat”