Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Chat about just about anything else
User avatar
Pierre
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7414
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Pierre » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 pm

GS3 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm
mike acker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 am
Freedom from Facebook

of course you could just delete your account
I never had a Facebook account and I don't think I ever will but I would suggest Wechat as an alternative.
Nope - - I've neither a Facebook or a Wechat Account - - Don't Need One.
:lol:
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Bolle1961 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:13 pm

GS3 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm
I never had a Facebook account and I don't think I ever will but I would suggest Wechat as an alternative.
You must be joking. Read this https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-new ... 1480351590
Image

User avatar
GS3
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 am

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by GS3 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Bolle1961 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:13 pm
You must be joking. Read this https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-new ... 1480351590
It's behind a paywall so I can't read it. At any rate, the title is
China’s New Tool for Social Control: A Credit Rating for Everything
Beijing wants to give every citizen a score based on behavior such as spending habits, turnstile violations and filial piety, which can blacklist citizens from loans, jobs, air travel
So, it seems they are trying to do what the USA have been doing for quite a while now. Credit ratings for loans, jobs, fly lists ... the USA has them bigger and better. ... and secreter.

Personally, having dealt with both the American and the Chinese governments, I will say that, again, in my personal experience, the American Government is more controlling and more evil. In China I always have the feeling that as long as you do not go explicitly looking for trouble you will be fine. In America trouble can easily find you even if you are minding your own business. So, if I have to choose I would much rather the Chinese government have my information because they are infinitely less likely to abuse it and to botch it up than the Americans. And if you have no plans of ever going to China why would you care anyway? What is the Chinese Government going to do with the knowledge that this guy in Chicago likes 4-1/2 stations pizza? Deny him a loan to buy an apartment in Shanghai?

I would rather withhold as much information as I can from Wechat than from Facebook. I am much less likely to end up in a Chinese no-fly list than in an American no-fly list.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-116-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

User avatar
jameskga
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by jameskga » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 am

It's funny that you admit to not reading the article, and then respond only to the headline, using information you imagine is contained in the story. This is typical of [insert whatever generation you belong to]. So you don't bring much to the conversation worth responding to. But I will offer two clarifications:

1) The social credits thing they're referring to is not credit like we have in the West. There's an episode of Black Mirror where people rate each other stars based on their impressions of that person. Metrics are based on arbitrary things like showing propriety and courtesy, bringing the right gifts to parties, etc. and the episode explores the unfairness of that system. The Chinese model discussed in the article you didn't read is more akin to that episode of Black Mirror, as opposed to the passive model we are used to, of denying people homes based on credit, or putting them on no-fly lists because their social media accounts were flagged by an algorithm or AI, but not yet cleared by human agents.

2) You say you'd rather have China in control of a data set but not the US, or something along those lines. It's an interesting oversight a lot of people make. The idea that because the States have our dataset, others must not. Actually, the US has our dataset, China has it, Russia, Bulgaria, Latvia, freakin' Sweden -- you name it. My point is all countries have access to roughly the same scope of data, because the corporations that engineer and hock the software that scrapes and presents that stuff don't just sell it to their nations of origin - and not JUST to the highest bidder (although there are Playstation exclusives!) - but to anyone who's buying because they're in the business of selling Big Data technology.

I know this because I don't just read the headlines. I write them. Buy a newspaper, and keep investigative journalism alive.
LMDE 2 Cinnamon (64-bit)
I am out there

rado84
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by rado84 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 am

I still use it but I'm getting tired of the fascists running Facebook and I don't know when I'll have enough of them. Groups, posts and images with open racism are left intact while things from the daily life are removed and their authors banned for a month, sometimes even longer.

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in th USA
Contact:

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by HaveaMint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:31 am

Facebook? Is that when you read a book and get really tired and your face hits the book when you fall asleep?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

User avatar
alexa9
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by alexa9 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 am

Facebook started out as an easy way to get laid in college. Now it's a social comparison ego shrine that pits people against eachother. Same with Instagram. I have a few family members that are total InstaSloots. I am sure it has increased travel to Greek Islands, Hawaii, Thailand, and Macchu Picchu because I see that most people have stereotypical snapshots there.

I deleted mine and realized I'm not that good of friends with my high school buddies and don't have a lot in common with them not to mention all of the frenemies I was friends with that I barely even remember anymore.

I feel much more comfortable speaking my mind anonymously on forums specific to my interests and getting good feedback.
2 x Intel NUC / Dell Inspiron 3567 Laptop

User avatar
jameskga
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by jameskga » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:16 am

wow, alexa9. i 100% identify with everything you just said. you summarized our life experiences as accurately as it was succinct! you're pretty cool. we are probably both about the same age, but i also strongly identify with your perspective and how you were introduced/de-introduced to online elements
LMDE 2 Cinnamon (64-bit)
I am out there

User avatar
Portreve
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1344
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Portreve » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:03 pm

I still have a Facebook account, but I'm going to close it as of August 1. Here's why...

Back in June or July of 2014, I was really starting to get burned out with Facebook and the never ending barrage of pop culture stuff and some of the onset of what would become the nastiest season in American (and other countries') politics in many generations, and everyone's projected self-importance. I had already created a Twitter account, but had really never used it. So, I decided to do a couple different things. The first was to "switch" from Facebook to Twitter and/or Google+ (depending on what I found I liked the best). The second was to try and use what influence I had with friends and others on FB to get into some other form of communication (this is in reference to IM, not social media). Basically, I felt like I was trying to help break the kind of Facebook dominance that we all previously had gone through with AOL.

I announced then that I was going to close my account out by January 1, 2015, and I did my darndest to get people to establish new conduits of communication. I brought up what we had then learned thanks to folks like Edward Snowden, the fact that social media seems like an amplifier for a very negative mindset, etc. However, I only got a couple people to show interest, and in the end, I didn't close the account. I had, however, effectively stopped using Facebook. Of my total use of social media, FB dwindled to probably like 5%, Google+ increased to 5%, and the other 90% became Twitter. To this day, that hasn't changed.

Then, the 2015-2016 era of American politics happened. British politics happened. European politics happened. The whole thing effectively turned social media, and as we are to this day learning Facebook in particular, into the worst s***-show we've probably ever seen. Because of how Twitter is set up and how I make use of it, that means I (quite fortunately) missed the absolute worst of it.

Between 2014 and today, I have just barely moved the needle on getting friends to have other mediums of contact and communication, which now covers the bare minimum core of who I consider legitimate friends and actually want to stay in contact with. Anyhow, a couple days ago, I finally decided that I'd really had enough of FB. I've had enough of a few other (and unrelated) things, and so I'm closing it down. I have a few other folks that I'm not already otherwise able to communicate with that I'm giving one last heroic effort to to try and get to set something else up, but that's it. I figure that if two more weeks is not sufficient, then it's time to cut the cord.
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

User avatar
Moem
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6782
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Moem » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Portreve wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Anyhow, a couple days ago, I finally decided that I'd really had enough of FB.
Good for you. 8)
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 22912
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:54 pm

A major life event. Normally you'd have posted in on FB. Now what are you supposed to do? :)
Image

User avatar
majpooper
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by majpooper » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Portreve wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:03 pm
the 2015-2016 era of American politics happened. British politics happened. European politics happened. The whole thing effectively turned social media, and as we are to this day learning Facebook in particular, into the worst s***-show we've probably ever seen.
This is what did it for me - I am far from apolitical but both sides, at least in American politics are strictly partisan to the point of being ridiculously hypocritical. All you get is one-sided distortions and flat out lies - God forbid we have a civil discussion with some one who might have a different opinion from the party line. It would be a joke if the consequences were not so serious. And that is all I was seeing on my FB from family and friends was hyper political vitriol - and then a bunch of inane posts about what someone had for desert with a pic at some restaurant or a video of a dancing dog or some stupid quiz that we all found out later were far from innocent. I deleted my account but still get emails that it's so and so's birthday which I auto send to junk mail folder.

User avatar
Portreve
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1344
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Portreve » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Moem wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:39 pm
Good for you. 8)
Thanks, Moem.
xenopeek wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:54 pm
A major life event. Normally you'd have posted in on FB. Now what are you supposed to do? :)
Go back to doing what we used to do: talk about it with people you really know IRL. :shock:

Y'know, at the end of last year, I made a decision that this year was the year I was going to take my health back and my life back. I've effectively done the former; now is time to do the latter. I'm going to be taking two weeks' vacation time starting the 20th, and I've got a fair few things on my list to accomplish.

I really wish I could travel, but for financial reasons it just isn't in the cards right now. Next year, however... :wink:
majpooper wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 pm
This is what did it for me - I am far from apolitical but both sides, at least in American politics are strictly partisan to the point of being ridiculously hypocritical. All you get is one-sided distortions and flat out lies - God forbid we have a civil discussion with some one who might have a different opinion from the party line. It would be a joke if the consequences were not so serious. And that is all I was seeing on my FB from family and friends was hyper political vitriol - and then a bunch of inane posts about what someone had for desert with a pic at some restaurant or a video of a dancing dog or some stupid quiz that we all found out later were far from innocent. I deleted my account but still get emails that it's so and so's birthday which I auto send to junk mail folder.
Yep. In broad terms, social media in general and Facebook in particular were used to hyperstimulate people's existing radicalized ideologies. I've tried my level best to get people to think about why things are as they are — I do this when I write occasional how-tos here, so it's not purely political, theological, or philosophical — but all that has been going on is this hyper churning of the muck.

Eventually, as is obviously the case with you, too, it just got to the point where I couldn't stand it any longer.
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by lsemmens » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 pm

I log into faceache only rarely to see what my kids and grandkids are up to. They all talk to me on the phone regularly, so it is only to see pictures or the like. In this day and age it is a necessary evil that is best avoided.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: NW Ohio

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Citizen229 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am

Isn't Facebook the softwarez that broke peoples neck? Their heads are stuck in a downward position. I cannot wait for the EMP. People will have to lift their heads and talk to people again.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

poliq
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:19 am

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by poliq » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 am

Twitter and Facebook may be around for 75 years. They may even become so important to American society that, should they have financial trouble, they will be "too big to fail", and given a bailout.

User avatar
thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by thx-1138 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 am

poliq wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 am
Twitter and Facebook may be around for 75 years. They may even become so important to American society that, should they have financial trouble, they will be "too big to fail", and given a bailout.
...regardless of any theatre of so-called 'political' pressure (heh!...), Facebook will NEVER go away -
it's data mining mechanism is just too precious: http://fortune.com/2018/07/06/facebook- ... son-world/

User avatar
BG405
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:09 pm
Location: England

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by BG405 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm

There is a documentary on UK Channel 4 now. Very, very disturbing. In fact, I wouldn't advise watching unless you have a stronger stomach than I do. Afraid I can't without muting the sound & using the subtitles. It's that bad.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Vierling
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Vierling » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 am

What's that documentary called, BG405? I guess I'm just too curious. lol

User avatar
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by Alexiy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 am

I started using Facebook because someone from my university group invited me there. Never really liked it. And as of last times, it's just a platform for showing off your ego. I have "friends" and classmates there, but I don't find anything to talk about with them. In addition (I don't know if anyone has this) my pre-login page always shows that there is one notification, when in fact there isn't. Facebook is disgusting, and probably this shows that it is losing something. And I don't feel sorry for them.

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”