Will life imitate art?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chrisuk

Will life imitate art?

Post by chrisuk »

I've always had an interest in Syfi - and when I was a young man, I read and watched just about everything I could get my hands on. It just so happens that I remember (well, vaguely) the first ever episode of a TV series by the name of Doomwatch. I even remember the title of the episode: "The Plastic Eaters".

Bearing the above in mind, I found the following news story interesting ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43783631
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Will life imitate art?

Post by Moem »

What's 'syfi'? Is that a variant of 'sci-fi' or science fiction?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

chrisuk wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am Bearing the above in mind, I found the following news story interesting ;)
Both stories, news and DoomWatch, are interesting. Fortunately, 'plastic eating' is the only thing they have in common. The plastic eater in the news story is an enzyme. Everything I have read about it indicates it is not a self-replicating enzyme, so it should not be a good candidate for plastopocalypse.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

chrisuk wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am .........................
...Run - Don't Walk... :D
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Moem wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:52 am What's 'syfi'? Is that a variant of 'sci-fi' or science fiction?
Yeah, just another science fiction abbreviation... or maybe a typo ;)
BenTrabetere wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 am
chrisuk wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am Bearing the above in mind, I found the following news story interesting ;)
Both stories, news and DoomWatch, are interesting. Fortunately, 'plastic eating' is the only thing they have in common. The plastic eater in the news story is an enzyme. Everything I have read about it indicates it is not a self-replicating enzyme, so it should not be a good candidate for plastopocalypse.
Well, " not a self-replicating enzyme" ATM - but they're not happy at the degradation rate, so will try to make the enzyme more efficient... that's when it might get a bit "iffy" ;)
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

thx-1138 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:01 am
chrisuk wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am .........................
...Run - Don't Walk... :D

Yep, it will get us some day (that film gave me nightmares at the time) ;)
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

For those that can't find it, here's the aforementioned episode synopsis:
S1, Ep1
9 Feb. 1970
The Plastic Eaters
7.6 (14)
Rate
A plane dissolves in mid-air, its plastic components eaten away. Doomwatch faces its first challenge: to halt the disastrous spread of a man-made virus with the power to melt all plastic.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...it appears it was reworked into an actual novel (author being involved in Dr.Who series as well):
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/418959.Kit_Pedler
Will try to score a copy of the episode online...

Personally, I'm a bit hesitant believing 'as is' that they discovered such 'accidentally' into the dumpster...
For some reason, it sounds to me more like "we developed it in the test lab via a well-funded research program but people will accept it's widespread usage much easier if we present it to them in a Nature-created-it-in-the-first-place manner"...
Of course, i might just be plain wrong and oversuspicious (i don't and obviously couldn't possibly have the slightest scientific proof for such a claim).
On the whole though, the fact that sci-fi dystopia scenarios have seriously increased in number in the last decades is rather indicative...ie. i'd certainly prefer it if scientists worked a bit more on such 'trust' issues instead of presenting us one morning with the...prequel of The Blob... :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Moem wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:52 am What's 'syfi'? Is that a variant of 'sci-fi' or science fiction?
I think Chris is incorporating part of the title of a TV channel that's available here in the U.S. called 'SyFy'.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

thx-1138 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 am ...it appears it was reworked into an actual novel (author being involved in Dr.Who series as well):
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/418959.Kit_Pedler
Will try to score a copy of the episode online...

Personally, I'm a bit hesitant believing 'as is' that they discovered such 'accidentally' into the dumpster...
For some reason, it sounds to me more like "we developed it in the test lab via a well-funded research program but people will accept it's widespread usage much easier if we present it to them in a Nature-created-it-in-the-first-place manner"...
Of course, i might just be plain wrong and oversuspicious (i don't and obviously couldn't possibly have the slightest scientific proof for such a claim).
On the whole though, the fact that sci-fi dystopia scenarios have seriously increased in number in the last decades is rather indicative...ie. i'd certainly prefer it if scientists worked a bit more on such 'trust' issues instead of presenting us one morning with the...prequel of The Blob... :)
So the scientists can't claim their idea/find to be original... science fiction thought of it first ;)

And I'm many years older now, so a Blob 2 might not give me nightmares... or it might ;)
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

JerryF wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:45 am
I think Chris is incorporating part of the title of a TV channel that's available here in the U.S. called 'SyFy'.
I've a long list of things that I do each day without good reason, Jerry, this was one of them ;)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

chrisuk wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 am
JerryF wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:45 am
I've a long list of things that I do each day without good reason, Jerry, this was one of them ;)
:lol:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Sci-Fi has a lot to answer for, much of what was then fiction, is now fact.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open Chat”