GPS is dead! Long live GPS!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

GPS is dead! Long live GPS!

Post by lsemmens »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: GPS is dead! Long live GPS!

Post by kc1di »

Interesting , thanks for the link :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

thanks for the link, I am a NASA geek
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Several years ago, a friends and I ran across information about some nutty dude named Dennis Hope, who is selling property lots on the Moon. It's long and complicated and you can search his name if you like, but we say around the table one evening with a few beers and decided we were going to set up a Government of the Universe, and tax the guy for selling property. However, we thought we should tax him in very large quantities of ridiculous and totally awkward stuff, like 60,000 Maple trees, or half a million tons of pure beach grade sand.

Anyhow, since I've never actually dropped the title of His Unutterably Absolute Himselfness, Emperor of the Universe, I've decided to be very generous and allow NASA to build the Galactic Positioning System at no fee, since NASA contributes to the betterment of this society and isn't an out for itself to make a fast buck kind of entity.

You're welcome, humanity.

:lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

NASA is mostly a liberal waste of taxpayers' money.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:27 am NASA is mostly a liberal waste of taxpayers' money.
There go light emitting diodes, artificial limbs, heart transplant ventricular assist, dust busters, land mine removal, Nike, Adidas et al running shoes, aircraft anti-icing, powdered lubricants, HACCP food safety, chemical and molecular explosives detection, ear thermometers, jaws of life, foil blankets for shock and accident victims, fire-fighting protection suits, air-crash temper foam, baby food and baby formula, freeze drying, solar energy, water purification... and, wait for it, wait for it... the laptop and the PC mouse.

<puts on tinfoil hat>
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

catweazel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:38 am
michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:27 am NASA is mostly a liberal waste of taxpayers' money.
There go light emitting diodes, artificial limbs, heart transplant ventricular assist, dust busters, land mine removal, Nike, Adidas et al running shoes, aircraft anti-icing, powdered lubricants, HACCP food safety, chemical and molecular explosives detection, ear thermometers, jaws of life, foil blankets for shock and accident victims, fire-fighting protection suits, air-crash temper foam, baby food and baby formula, freeze drying, solar energy, water purification... and, wait for it, wait for it... the laptop and the PC mouse.

<puts on tinfoil hat>
+1
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ catweazel, .......
catweazel wrote:.
https://www.cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/kath ... ub-testing
Coburn listed seven instances where NASA wasted taxpayer money to the tune of $3,086,432,000:

Golf Club Testing, Elementary School Experiments Aboard the Space Station- $3 billion
NASA's A3 Rocket-Testing Tower aka the "Tower of Pork"- $44.5 million
NASA Study on How Humans React to Space Aliens- $392,000
NASA at Comic-Con- $10,000
NASA Study Predicting the Collapse of Human Civilization- $30,000
NASA's Loss of Electronic Devices- $1.1 million
NASA's Near-Earth Object Program- $40.5 million
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:47 am @ catweazel, .......
https://www.cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/kath ... ub-testing
Golf Club Testing, Elementary School Experiments Aboard the Space Station- $3 billion
That has to be so wide of the mark as to be hilarious that you would quote it without thinking, and the rest of your list simply doesn't compensate for the loss of LEDs, baby food, laptops, solar energy and PTFE, amongst others.
CNSNews.com was launched on June 16, 1998 as a news source for individuals, news organizations and broadcasters who put a higher premium on balance than spin... CNSNews.com, clearly demonstrate a liberal bias in many news outlets – bias by commission and bias by omission...
:rofl: <- ROFL

PS: Keep your politics out of it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ catweazel, .......
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/ ... l-Spending (NASA Makes Coburn’s List for Wasteful Spending - 26 Dec 2013)
$3 million to study Congress.
$400,000 to create “the Little Green Ninja".
$360,000 for “Pillownauts"
$240,000 to study red crabs
$125,000 for a 3D Pizza Printer
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:15 am @ catweazel, .......
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/ ... l-Spending (NASA Makes Coburn’s List for Wasteful Spending - 26 Dec 2013)
$3 million to study Congress.
$400,000 to create “the Little Green Ninja".
$360,000 for “Pillownauts"
$240,000 to study red crabs
$125,000 for a 3D Pizza Printer
You neglected Golf Club Testing, Elementary School Experiments Aboard the Space Station- $3 billion.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ catweazel, .......
catweazel wrote:CNSNews.com was launched on June 16, 1998 as a news source for individuals, news organizations and broadcasters who put a higher premium on balance than spin... CNSNews.com, clearly demonstrate a liberal bias in many news outlets – bias by commission and bias by omission...
The Cybercast News Service was launched on June 16, 1998 as a news source for individuals, news organizations and broadcasters who put a higher premium on balance than spin and seek news that’s ignored or under-reported as a result of media bias by omission.

Study after study by the Media Research Center, the parent organization of CNSNews.com, clearly demonstrate a liberal bias in many news outlets – bias by commission and bias by omission – that results in a frequent double-standard in editorial decisions on what constitutes "news."
https://www.cnsnews.com/history
P S - Please keep your misquotes out of it.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 am P S - Please keep your misquotes out of it.
ellipsis
noun: ellipsis; plural noun: ellipses

the omission from speech or writing of a word or words that are superfluous or able to be understood from contextual clues.

HTH
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ catweazel, .......
https://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-other ... snt-cover/ (Former NPR CEO opens up about liberal media bias - 21 Oct 2017)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:40 am @ catweazel, .......
https://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-other ... snt-cover/ (Former NPR CEO opens up about liberal media bias - 21 Oct 2017)
Ok, if you keep up with the political quotes I'll alert the moderators. Read the forum rules.

Bye.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ catweazel, .......
catweazel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:38 am

<puts on tinfoil hat>
... the laptop and the PC mouse.
https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html
That's quite a spin you got there.

The question is, are those valid NASA spinoffs worth US$20 billion a year in taxpayers' money, including the OP's trumpeted Galactic Positioning System/GPS.?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:30 am The question is, are those valid NASA spinoffs worth US$20 billion a year in taxpayers' money, including the OP's trumpeted Galactic Positioning System/GPS.?
Considering the benefits I, my extended family, and billions of others have had from that spending, yes. Especially since I'm not American and have never paid a cent in tax towards it.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ catweazel, .......
Other NASA programs highlighted in the Coburn report, and their costs, were:

Advanced Food Technology, $947,000. In this project, paid volunteers will live in a simulated martian surface environment on Hawaii’s largest island and eat foods intended for astronaut consumption on future missions to the red planet. Work is slated to begin in 2013.
Video game development, $1.6 million. Included in this category are a multiplayer online game dubbed “Starlite’ and a TV console game called “Mars Rover Lander,” in which players re-enact the landing of NASA’s Mars Science Laboratory.
Lessons Learned Information System, $771,000. This publicly accessible online database has been a repository for engineering and programmatic “lessons learned” since 1994. In a report issued March 6, the NASA Inspector General’s office said this database was underused and questioned whether the money spent to maintain it was well spent.
http://spacenews.com/nasa-called-out-se ... -spending/
Why is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration researching seemingly non-related materials.?
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 am Why is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration researching non-related materials.?
That's not for me to answer. I don't give a hoot.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi catweazel...you may enjoy these pictures that are from the "space museum" associated with the smithsonian institute...here in alamogordo nm...as you probably well know, after the manhatten project successfully detonated the first a-bomb here in 1945 at the trinity site at white sands missile proving ground at white sands in alamogord area which helped to end ww2, the govt brought in people like verner von braun here to alamogordo nm to continue to work on his rockets etc, culminating in the US space program...these 210 pics on the web page provided from tourists posted on yelp will give a more rounded outlook not only on just the rocketry but also things like freeze dried foods with a shelf life of a "twinky" and many other things you mentioned that the science gathered and learned have contributed to the whole of human society world wide...enjoy...DAMIEN

ps...i look out my front door and look up into the foot hills around me and directly in front of me about a half a mile is the space museum building and missiles in plain sight

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/new-mex ... alamogordo

Return to “Open Chat”