GPS is dead! Long live GPS!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: GPS is dead! Long live GPS!

Post by catweazel »

Thanks for the link. There's some very good shots there.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

glad your enjoying...heres a few pics featuring inside exhibits of white sands missile range museum as well...DAMIEN

http://www.wsmr-history.org/InsidePhotos1.htm
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 am
catweazel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:38 am
michael louwe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:27 am NASA is mostly a liberal waste of taxpayers' money.
There go light emitting diodes, artificial limbs, heart transplant ventricular assist, dust busters, land mine removal, Nike, Adidas et al running shoes, aircraft anti-icing, powdered lubricants, HACCP food safety, chemical and molecular explosives detection, ear thermometers, jaws of life, foil blankets for shock and accident victims, fire-fighting protection suits, air-crash temper foam, baby food and baby formula, freeze drying, solar energy, water purification... and, wait for it, wait for it... the laptop and the PC mouse.

<puts on tinfoil hat>
+1
+2

And more on topic, the new GPS sounds awesome! I sure hope I get to see them using it within my lifetime.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Fred Barclay wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 pm
jimallyn wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 am
catweazel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:38 am

There go light emitting diodes, artificial limbs, heart transplant ventricular assist, dust busters, land mine removal, Nike, Adidas et al running shoes, aircraft anti-icing, powdered lubricants, HACCP food safety, chemical and molecular explosives detection, ear thermometers, jaws of life, foil blankets for shock and accident victims, fire-fighting protection suits, air-crash temper foam, baby food and baby formula, freeze drying, solar energy, water purification... and, wait for it, wait for it... the laptop and the PC mouse.

<puts on tinfoil hat>
+1
+2

And more on topic, the new GPS sounds awesome! I sure hope I get to see them using it within my lifetime.
NASA's shut Space Shuttle program mostly wasted US$209 billion and 14 lives over 30 years. ... https://www.space.com/12166-space-shutt ... llion.html
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Fred Barclay wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 pm And more on topic, the new GPS sounds awesome! I sure hope I get to see them using it within my lifetime.
From reading the article it'll only be useful to the dummy in Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster now doing the rounds of the galaxy.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

catweazel wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:36 am From reading the article it'll only be useful to the dummy in Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster now doing the rounds of the galaxy.
Well, yeah, for now. ;) But there's a whole realm of possibilities here that the article touches on. Unmanned probes that can go precisely where we want them to and make perfect course adjustments along the way, manned craft headed to Mars or elsewhere...
michael louwe wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:31 am
NASA's shut Space Shuttle program mostly wasted US$209 billion and 14 lives over 30 years. ... https://www.space.com/12166-space-shutt ... llion.html
For the money aspect, you can't put a price on humanity's drive to explore. We are explorers and adventurers, it's what we do. To give up pushing the boundaries of human exploration, to quit searching for more discoveries, would be to deny a very fundamental part of what it means to be human. I hope and pray that never happens.

The worth of our lives aren't measured in years, but in the people we impact. Those 14 astronauts' lives weren't wasted by any means. Their legacies have gone on to inspire countless people - adults and children - in more ways than we know. Each of them highlighted the best kind of courage a person can have, a strength and a drive to face the unknown and step into it willingly, with a smile.
As a personal anecdote, I've always been hugely inspired by the last commander of Columbia, Rick Husband, and I've got a well-worn copy of his wife's book about him on my bookshelf. Some of the goals I've set for my life are a direct result of him.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

michael louwe wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:31 am NASA's shut Space Shuttle program mostly wasted US$209 billion and 14 lives over 30 years. ... https://www.space.com/12166-space-shutt ... llion.html
Statements like this - no matter the source - are usually a simplistic interpretation of a much more complex and nuanced argument. The deliberately provocative language is chosen for one reason only: to grab attention.

NASA clearly has contributed massively to science, space exploration, etc. Was there "waste"? Almost certainly but was it worth it? Absolutely, yes.
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5850 4GB Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia Cinnamon 6.0.4
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I remember when I was a kid, seeing JFK on the TV, saying he was going to put a man on the moon and return him safely to Earth. I also remember watching many, many space shots, including watching men walking on the moon. (My parents used to let me stay home from school to watch space shots on TV.) I remember seeing lots of images from the first Mars rovers, and seeing pictures of the circuit boards involved with some of it. (Hey, they used the same chip in their receiver on Mars that I used in my latest receiver design!) After that, they could waste a lot of money on just about anything and I would still feel that I had gotten my money's worth.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Open Chat”