Problem with Photobucket pictures

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
pergelator

Problem with Photobucket pictures

Post by pergelator »

Found a cool picture on Photobucket http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/mac ... nBn/?ref=1. Wanted to post it on my blog. No problem, Photobucket supplies a bunch of links. But photos on the net have a bad habit of disappearing, so I want a copy of my own, but no matter how I try and save a copy, I either get nothing, or something that nothing on my Linux box (Image Viewer, Pix, Gimp or Firefox) can display. But Blogger displays it just fine (Monarch 10EE Lathe https://pergelator.blogspot.com/2018/04 ... lathe.html). What's going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Problem with Photobucket pictures

Post by Mute Ant »

That '?' in the html address is a signal to the host machine to do some work... it looks up the file indexed by 'ref=1' and sends it to you. Something similar happens with YouTube, you can't get to the media by simply downloading a file, so you can't get one-of-everything without clicking on each link. For a single picture, a screenshot would do, perhaps? The browser can't stop that.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Photobucket has become a Bad Word that is no longer talked about on my motorcycle forum.

I have 4 accounts with them, and over 10,000 pictures hosted there over the years.

and now, today, I cannot access any of them unless I sign up and account and give them $400/year per account.

bugger that, I went to Imgur.com

They will not allow you to share a picture on any forum unless the account is a Paid Account.
all we see now is a huge horrible blob demanding money to see the picture.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 pm They will not allow you to share a picture on any forum unless the account is a Paid Account.
all we see now is a huge horrible blob demanding money to see the picture.
That is true, but it's completely unrelated to the issue the OP is asking about.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

pergelator wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 pm Found a cool picture on Photobucket http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/mac ... nBn/?ref=1. Wanted to post it on my blog. No problem, Photobucket supplies a bunch of links. But photos on the net have a bad habit of disappearing, so I want a copy of my own, but no matter how I try and save a copy, I either get nothing, or something that nothing on my Linux box (Image Viewer, Pix, Gimp or Firefox) can display. But Blogger displays it just fine (Monarch 10EE Lathe https://pergelator.blogspot.com/2018/04 ... lathe.html). What's going on?
I posted an answer, and contrary to Moem's comment,
what I said is still the reason you can't get a good download of the picture of interest.

I tried to download my own pictures from photobucket after they came out with their new $$$ scheme.
they limit me to the size now, just thumbnails, and downloaded images are so pixelated, as to be useless.
And, where I used to be able to download an entire album, now they limit me to a single picture.

what I do now, is to take a screenshot and save that when a direct download will not work.
That usually results in less definition than the original, but is usually "good enough" for display on any PC screen in a blog, or post on a forum.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:23 am I posted an answer, and contrary to Moem's comment,
what I said is still the reason you can't get a good download of the picture of interest.
If you meant 'the new Photobucket rules in general, which also include anti-deeplinking measures which are a pain in the rear, are why you can't download these pictures', then yes.
I read your comment as 'the new anti-deeplinking measures at Photobucket are a pain in the rear' and that is true, but it's a different thing.
I know I'm literal-minded but I may not be the only one here. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

sigh, photobucket has become a problem, moving on.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I use safe images extension for Firefox that -properly set up- let me save an image by just one touch of a button. Even if e.g. right click is disabled. (often this can be overcome by disabling scripts)
Another method would be to look up the image in cache. Or by right clicking, view page info, media, find the picture you want and save.
Or use a program that let you make a screen capture and save it somewhere.
And as the last resort, display image, print screen and save.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

pergelator wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 pmPhotobucket
That is one nasty website -
- the "URL" and "direct link" functions there said "Copied"...but when you paste, you get the string "Copied".
- I tried "view source", copied a .jpg URL and, paste it as a URL, but it displayed a different P-bucket page, not just an image.
- Then, for the first time in many months, maybe years, my computer acted like the plug was pulled: screen black...
- when I rebooted there were 3 new firefox windows with garbage ads in them. That never happened before.

Good luck!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi pergelator,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I was able to right-click the image in Google Chrome and "save image as" which worked.

I use PostImage.org and Imgur for image hosting.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Flemur wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:24 pm That is one nasty website -
- the "URL" and "direct link" functions there said "Copied"...but when you paste, you get the string "Copied".
- I tried "view source", copied a .jpg URL and, paste it as a URL, but it displayed a different P-bucket page, not just an image.
- Then, for the first time in many months, maybe years, my computer acted like the plug was pulled: screen black...
- when I rebooted there were 3 new firefox windows with garbage ads in them. That never happened before.
I know, right? It used to be quite good. I started using it a long time ago (I think it was 1999) but I've deleted my account. They've gone off the rails.

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

phd21 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 am Hi pergelator,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I was able to right-click the image in Google Chrome and "save image as" which worked.

I use PostImage.org and Imgur for image hosting.
I just tried that and it downloads a xxx.jpg.html file which redirects back to the original photobucket page.

In Chrome I get round these types of issues by opening Developer Tools (Ctrl-Shift-I), selecting network, then reloading the page. You'll get a list of assets used for the page, scroll through the previews until you find the one you want and then right click on the image preview and click save to get the original image.

Edit - it appears photobucket has guards against that workaround - it worked once and then on a second try photobucket refused to reload the page :roll:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I'm going to save the entire web-page and see if you can get the pic that way - it works on Instagram.

If I don't post back here with the result, I didn't survive.

Edit: I survived and got the picture:
- "Save Page as " (COmplete)
- Edit the main Photobucket.html file and look for jpg
- wget http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/ ... GP0972.jpg
IMGP0972.jpg
Note that I got the image with "wget", NOT thru the browser!
W/firefox Photosuckit sticks .html on the end and shows the web-page again.

Edit: I think the trick is to look at the source to get the image URL, and then download it with wget (or uget, etc), not the browser; and you can "View page source" to get the image URL rather than saving the whole website ... which DIDN'T INCLUDE THE ACTUAL IMAGE anyway.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

pergelator wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 pmFound a cool picture on Photobucket http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/mac ... nBn/?ref=1.
I found an easy solution:
- browser -> that URL -> rt-click -> "Copy image location"
- then "wget image-location(pasted)"

You don't need to "view source" or any of that nonsense.

Return to “Open Chat”