"Caution - A Virus Has Been Detected"

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

"Caution - A Virus Has Been Detected"

Post by Pierre »

on my Windows -10 Notebook
:roll:

- - was just giving it it's Monthly shot of Being allowed "on-line".
8)

and Four of the Five Monthly Updates - - Failed.
- so I've rebooted it :)
then an Advert for an Hyundai Car appeared :!: this PC Does Have an Ad-Blocker Running.
but, just the Windows Defender Anti-Virus is running.

- - > BIG Pop-Up - - Caution - A Virus Has Been Detected - - from the PCs speaker.
and a link to an Australian 1800 Number
( interesting in itself, as it's usually an American 1-800 number )
And I'm Not Able to Click on Anything Else.
:o

It's Sunday Arvo & I'm Bored - - should that 1800 be called ?
- it'll be an Indian Call Center for sure !.

Hey - - something to play with, this Evening.
:mrgreen:

( it's my Play with Windows Machine - - No Need to Panic )
:lol:

RATS - - it won't let me Take a PrintScreen of it.
:(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Bad Windows but conquering the desktop war

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i could be totally wrong here and maybe just misunderstood Pierre's entry here, but the subject line of this post was changed to say "Caution - A Virus Has Been Detected"...should this not have been posted on its own brand new thread?...just asking...DAMIEN
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: "Caution - A Virus Has Been Detected"

Post by Pierre »

A good point there, DAMIEN . .
:)
it's now on it's own . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi pierre...personally ive never trusted win defender on any win system...when i have to absolutely work on someones win machine, i disable it and use bitdefender free version which works just great on it and it is totally non-intrusive and extremely light on the system, i also use the program called malwarebytes but i make sure to shut off all of its automatic systems in the settings panel to just run it manually on demand (this is because it gives you the 14 day free trial of its full blown automated system and just reverts to manual free version after trial)...if there is anything in there...i have found this duo finds it everytime...i suspect that the "virus" is preventing the updates from microsoft as well...and NO i wouldnt call the number as the miscreants will continue to try to plague you in future...hope this is of some help to you...DAMIEN
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Pierre wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:54 am on my Windows -10 Notebook

- - was just giving it it's Monthly shot of Being allowed "on-line".
8)

and Four of the Five Monthly Updates - - Failed.
- so I've rebooted it :)
then an Advert for an Hyundai Car appeared :!: this PC Does Have an Ad-Blocker Running.
but, just the Windows Defender Anti-Virus is running.

- - > BIG Pop-Up - - Caution - A Virus Has Been Detected - - from the PCs speaker.
and a link to an Australian 1800 Number
( interesting in itself, as it's usually an American 1-800 number )
And I'm Not Able to Click on Anything Else.
You should get yourself a Linux distro - preferably Linux Mint :lol:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi DAMIEN - - this is one of "my play machines"
ie: if it crashes, I'm not overly fussed, I've already made it somewhat NON-M$ by installing Firefox,
but I've had to do that, as I'm really not able to 'like' Edge . . .

and as WharfRat said - - I've got the Real Deal - - this Laptop, amongst others - - runs LinuxMint.
8)

but, it's actually really interesting,, and what allows me to keep in touch with the Dark Side,,
and just how Fast your machine can be compromised :shock: actually.
- - so many M$ users, just don't get it, which is quite :( really.
and Yeah - - I'd make sure that they Did Have a Decent A/V on their PCs.
:)
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Saw this on a friend's Windows 10 machine
"- - > BIG Pop-Up - - Caution - A Virus Has Been Detected - - from the PCs speaker.
and a link to and 1800 Number" (just assumed it was a USA number)
What is worse they told me they were running Norton AV and did their updates . . . who knows.
Gee, now I have another linux mint install to do.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi majpooper...you said "Gee, now I have another linux mint install to do."...that is great news..."friends dont let friends use windows 10"...lol...DAMIEN

hi pierre...now to be known as "young skywalker"...you said... "allows me to keep in touch with the Dark Side"..."still play with the dark side you do?...no good can be that"...lol...YODA
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Damien, people amaze though - most of the people I know and talk to about computers use literally use them everyday, if not for their job at home. Yet they haven't a clue about security or privacy. They are like, and in most cases the same people who drive their vehicles until something breaks and then take it to the dealership to get ripped off. So this was the typical situation - I have mentioned linux in terms of security etc. but the interest was nil - actually it was obvious that the topic bored them. But when they were inconvenienced, oh then they just want it to be fixed. Oh and they love Facebook, Google and Amazon and just shug off privacy. Their router was password protected and the firewall was on, I will give them that but UPnP was enabled and remote access was enabled. They were using their ISP DNS servers and so on and so forth.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yep - - if you do mention any Linux System, as an alternative:
- they are *not* interested, not one little bit.

so, we wait, until the Dark Side bites them, and Then mention Alternatives. . . .
Faust

Post by Faust »

Has anyone had this scam phone call yet ?

" Hello , I am calling from GNU/Linux Customer Support .
We have detected a problem with your computer "
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Have you determined what the "virus" is yet? I've seen similar in the past and have managed to delete the offending piece of work using a combo of malwarebytes, ccleaner and a couple of other tools that I cannot recall now. If, OTOH, it's a cryptolocker you might as well blow Windows away. I've generally been careful with all my security and have never really "caught" anything in 40 odd years with 'puters. I even experimented with Windows security for a short time just to see how good it really was. Never caught anything, despite visiting sites where I expected to catch sommat. I'm just lucky, I guess. That said. I NEVER open unsolicited stuff. So, maybe those sites had stuff that would have got me, if I actually did a little more that visit.

All that said, Linux is so much easier, and better to handle than Windows. No hidden nasties either.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

HI lsemmens - - there was No Virus.
- it was a Scam Pop-Over - - which was triggered despite the AdBlocker running.
This Is Not My Main Machine. . .
:mrgreen:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi majpooper...and here you have hit the nail on the head, the crux of the matter sort of speak...most people i have converted to linux from windows...had to have their a@#es handed to them by their windows OS and be severely inconvienienced before i could finally get them to listen, and yes, they LOVE their facebook, google, amazon, craigs list, etc. and the list goes on...and lets not even talk about their router settings which they are convinced that the cable company has set and if you change it, it will not work...lol...1 by 1 ive converted 71 computers here over to linux now...i now have only 2 holdouts...one i understand and she never has problems...she uses tax programs that only work with windows...the other lady is another story, a real piece of work...she insists that she absolutely MUST have 4 google browser windows open upon boot/startup which include facebook, her banking accts, her gmail acct....she cannot be convinced that even with proof of how many times she has been malware infected, that this along with the stock settings on her router, cannot possibly be a factor whatsoever in her problems and WILL not listen to security discussions, etc...(her husband, just retired this week from his job working on computer system that fire ballistic missiles for the US govt)...he gave up on her years ago and will not work on her system at home...i also have now refused right after she cited that her brother in law built her computer and because he works for microsoft must know more than i and her husband combined...lol...so my response to that, (with her husband hysterically laughing in the background), is that from now on, she can UPS or FEDEX her desktop from here in alamogordo nm to her brother in laws in seattle wa. for any further assistance that she will need on her usual monthly basis...he charges her by the way for anything he does...i was doing it for the usual night out for dinner and cocktails...lol...moral of the story?...you just cant fix stupid...DAMIEN
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so, I've decided to Turn my Notebook, back on again Today:
- coz that win-10 v1803 seems to now be available here ( wasn't available yesterday )
and there is another Advert from Google - - on the Desktop, still, not in the Browser, just like last Time.

it's a very curious development in the world of Google Advertising,,
as it seems to be able to bypass the AD-Blocker,, which is an ADD-in for the FireFox Browser. .. ..
and place that Advert directly onto the Desktop itself.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi pierre...i wonder if this will help?...DAMIEN

https://websiteforstudents.com/remove-p ... indows-10/
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pierre wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:48 am so, I've decided to Turn my Notebook, back on again Today:
- coz that win-10 v1803 seems to now be available here ( wasn't available yesterday )
and there is another Advert from Google - - on the Desktop, still, not in the Browser, just like last Time.

it's a very curious development in the world of Google Advertising,,
as it seems to be able to bypass the AD-Blocker,, which is an ADD-in for the FireFox Browser. .. ..
and place that Advert directly onto the Desktop itself.
The problem with your 'adblocker' is that it is in the browser.

you need to install an adblocker that works at the LAN level.

investigate this one.

https://adfender.com/

it works at the LAN level before your browser(s) ever have a chance to see the Internet.

Some financial institutions won't work properly with it turned on, so AdFender has a Whitelist for that purpose.
Likewise, most financial institutions won't work with Popup Blockers in effect, so you need to Whitelist that too.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Pierre wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:54 am RATS - - it won't let me Take a PrintScreen of it.
You could use a camera or a (smart)phone :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's not an issue as such, as this LinuxMint Laptop is my main machine,
but it's still got me intrigued as to how it's placing advert's on the Desktop itself.

my suspicion is that it's tied into the Notifications Icon that is on the RHS.
:twisted:

- - Just Keeping an eye on the Dark Side - Y'know.
:lol:
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

had this happen before i went into /Users/YOU/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files delete it all. sometimes there will be some rogue .exe file floating in subdirectories of AppData they used to also deposit .exe in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Startup/

if you manage to boot into and able to click things Malwarebytes can remove that nasty. i believe you may find the culprit because if it wasn't stopped by antivirus that means it didn't touch your registry it just deposited a spy.

i have been running windows without antivirus for over 5 years and no nasty here but i do have a strong defense. i use ublock origin advanced and a hosts file. most attacks happen while browsing so a good blocker is necessary. or if you downloaded some free games or applications they usually hide embedded in it.

Return to “Open Chat”