What's Been Going On With The LM Forum?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

What's Been Going On With The LM Forum?

Post by Portreve »

This is the first time in the last several days I've been able to access either the LM Forum or the main LM website.

Before starting this thread, I tried to find some kind of announcement or other discussion about it and found nothing.

Can anyone comment on what happened?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What's Been Going On With The LM Forum?

Post by JerryF »

There's been nothing wrong with either. I and hundreds others have been posting to the forum during that time and just yesterday I was on linuxmint.com
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Both the forum and Linuxmint.com been fine here over the last several days also. no problems. :)
So it must some how be on your end.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Portreve.

Issue confirmed.
xenopeek wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:16 amThere is/was a problem with Sucuri for people from Florida and Brazil.
Should have been fixed some hours ago.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Portreve,

For the past 3 days myself and others in Florida, US have been having issues (http 502 message) preventing us from accessing the Linux Mint forum which apparently is due to new servers from the 3rd party "sucuri" firewall company that Linux Mint forum uses. I have been in contact with the forum administrators about this and they have been extremely responsive.

Yet, if I use a VPN connection, I can access the forum.

I am still having this problem today. Another member that I have been in communication with that also happened to be in Florida over these past few days is also having the same issues and contacted me via email, I recommended using a VPN connection from a system-wide VPN provider ("Private Internet Access (PIA)", "ProtonVPN", etc...), or even a browser extension add-on like the really good "Hoxx", he chose to install the Hoxx browser addon which worked. Earlier today he was able to access the forum using "comcast" ISP from Sarasota, FL without using a VPN connection, but later today travelled to Apollo Beach, FL where he was using Frontier (Fios) ISP (like I am), and the problem was still preventing access to this forum. I am in Sarasota, FL using the Frontier (Fios) ISP and I am still unable to access this forum without using a VPN connection?

I hope they figure it out soon.
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

It was down for several days for me also. I contacted jimallyn and he has been checking it out. Today it's working fine. It must have been a Florida thing. Too much sunshine? :wink:
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

karlchen wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:47 pm Issue confirmed.
xenopeek wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:16 amThere is/was a problem with Sucuri for people from Florida and Brazil.
Not only in parts of America, but also in Germany, as I told you this morning in a PM. (BTW: A quote link to the internal board does not make sense for non team members.)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Portreve, & Everyone Else,

The problems accessing the Linux Mint forum website seems to be fixed for me today (yeah). Thank you Linux Mint Team and Sucuri for getting that resolved...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just now had a "no response" to trying to access the forum.
Tried several times using Firefox.

Then I installed QupZilla and wham! it responded on the first try. :shock:

Probably because my FF efforts had polled the DNS servers so many times.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

It's a strange thing.

I was able to access this board a couple times or of a number of tries (for example, my posting of this thread) on my phone over a cellular data connection, but not at all via my home Internet connection using Comcast.

Now, I'm able to access it in that manner.

Do we know what was causing it?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's often something to do with the Sucuri Firewall, that is giving grief.

it does pay to check that it's not just yourself, that has any connection issues:
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
is one way check that.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Pierre wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:24 am it does pay to check that it's not just yourself, that has any connection issues:
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
is one way check that.
Except in this case, that site would have told you that everything is fine, since it's not based in Florida where people were having issues. But it sounds like it's fixed now.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Open Chat”