Firefox to "Feature" Sponsored Content

Chat about just about anything else
DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Firefox to "Feature" Sponsored Content

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 am

I ran across this article this morning from The Register...Mozilla thinks you won’t mind analytical action on the client...DAMIEN

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/0 ... o_firefox/

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Firefox to "Feature" Sponsored Content

Post by Moem » Tue May 01, 2018 7:21 am

I like Waterfox more and more...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Pierre » Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 am

but - - that "Feature" Sponsored Content - - supposedly can be disabled.
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:44 am

I saw nothing in the article to indicate that there will be a way to disable this "Feature"...DAMIEN

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Pierre » Tue May 01, 2018 7:58 am

Firefox 60 will show 'sponsored stories' but you can disable them, says Mozilla:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-6 ... s-mozilla/

The feature was shown to a "small portion of US users" initially but with Firefox 60,
- scheduled for general release on May 9, it will go "fully live" for US users.

It's also made disabling sponsored content a simple process of unchecking a 'Show sponsored content' setting, though this suggests that Firefox will be released with the sponsored content option already checked.
The option is available in the New Tab Preferences gear icon. Users who don't see the option haven't been included in the sponsored stories rollout.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 am

Firefox users should consider such sponsored contents/links or ads as a fair trade-off, ie in return for getting to use the browser for free. The sponsored contents/ads do not really bother Firefox users.
....... This should also apply to Linux Mint if the owner decides to put non-obstructive ads on the free OS.

"There is no free lunch in this world".

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 am

michael louwe said "This should also apply to Linux Mint if the owner decides to put non-obstructive ads on the free OS."...the day that this happens is the day when i will give up using computers for anything...advertisers are in our face from the time we wake up to the time we go to bed...enough is enough...advertisers have invaded every single aspects of our lives and people stupidly keep taking it with total complacency...googles proved this...facebook and many others have all proved this and what do people keep doing?...like sheep to the slaughter, they just except their fate...not me...DAMIEN

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Moem » Tue May 01, 2018 9:16 am

michael louwe wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 am
The sponsored contents/ads do not really bother Firefox users.
I should hope so. Because if that's the case, all those who would be bothered by it will have voted with their feet and chosen a different browser. It's not like the options are scarce.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:16 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 am
I ran across this article this morning from The Register...Mozilla thinks you won’t mind analytical action on the client...DAMIEN

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/0 ... o_firefox/
The 1st thing I do with any Firefox install is to neuter 'Pocket'
about:config and search for pocket, delete all entries except one, change "Enabled" to False.
bye bye pocket, I hate it.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed May 02, 2018 6:11 am

I'm clearly not the demographic for Pocket. Save an article to read it later on another device, that's what it does right? I really don't get it: why would you start some activity when you don't have time now for that activity? Personally I use a feed reader and just leave articles unread in that till I have time for them. If I'd need it to work across devices I'd just install Tiny Tiny RSS as a self-hosted web-based feed reader.

I disable pocket as I don't want useless icons on my awesome bar. Setting extensions.pocket.enabled = false is enough I think.

Anyway, aren't the kind of people that use features like Pocket the same kind of people that don't use ad blockers in the first place and so would be okay with sponsored content?

As for the new tab page I use the New Tab Override extension and just set new tab to a blank page.

rene
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rene » Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 am

xenopeek wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:11 am
Anyway, aren't the kind of people that use features like Pocket the same kind of people that don't use ad blockers in the first place and so would be okay with sponsored content?
Not necessarily no: I'm adblocked up to my eyeballs yet appreciate Pocket and its integration in Firefox. Indeed "read it later on another device" is the point and the other device is in my case generally my (Kobo) e-reader on which Pocket is also integrated. The e-reader is not simply another device though: it's a device I use for reading in bed or on a train or alike: it fills an entirely different role than my computers do. As such it's not merely a matter of "not having time" sec, but of running into an interesting article or interesting bit of fiction which I'd not go read in the middle of the day even if I did have time.

Basically Pocket's just another interdevice bookmarking solution but for me with the much appreciated benefit over other such solutions that "a device" can be a less conventionally computerized one such as my e-reader; its Pocket integration presents me saved articles in the from my computers totally different and laid back reading atmosphere which is what I want to have when reading for my own enjoyment.

Admittedly I don't make a lot of use of Pocket and you'd probably need a device such as an e-reader with nicely integrated support to appreciate it -- but if you do, Pocket makes a fair amount of sense.

P.S.: The bit somewhere above about The Register not noting the feature can be disabled is the reason you should not read The Register; all it ever does these days is fan the flames of the senseless internet armchair-riots we see so many of.

absque fenestris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by absque fenestris » Wed May 02, 2018 8:25 am

Damien

You need to look at all this from a more creative angle: lately there was something about a network-capable flatulens sensor.
So imagine: You look in the tube, then comes a cute little Firefox figurine, a bit sound and the rest does the gut feeling...
Capitulate to a few pathetic external visual effects! - the thick end is yet to come.

BTW: Gut feeling® - also perfect for German-speakers :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed May 02, 2018 10:04 am

rene wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 am
P.S.: The bit somewhere above about The Register not noting the feature can be disabled is the reason you should not read The Register; all it ever does these days is fan the flames of the senseless internet armchair-riots we see so many of.
Hear, hear!

absque fenestris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by absque fenestris » Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 am

Hello rene

I am always fascinated by the way computers are used and how the same thing can be approached in completely different ways for the same purpose.

On my smartphone I have a TexMaker template (format A4, Adobe Caslon 12pt. reasonable margins) - interesting articles are inserted with copy & paste and saved. Later, while reading comfortably, I decide whether I want to keep the text or not. If yes, I do some typo details with the Adobe Myriad and export the whole thing as PDF. Readable on other screens or on paper, typographically perfect.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I simply cannot drive with so-called "automatic" cars... the classic left foot problem.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm

Mozilla's announcement about this: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... d-content/

From there Mozilla links to instructions on how to disable Pocket sponsored content on the new tab page: https://help.getpocket.com/article/1142 ... redstories. I think that's easily discoverable enough, just click the gear wheel icon in top right of the new tab page and untick the "show sponsored stories".

vansloneker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vansloneker » Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm

In the Firefox installation folder is a subfolder "browser" where there is a subfolder "features". This is where all the misery is located, as xpi files. All you have to do is delete the "feature" you don't want.
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Post by KBD47 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:20 pm

If it is as described that's fine with me. I know Firefox needs funds and depending upon Google is not a good long term strategy. I do hope these new 'features' do not add bloat.

Return to “Open chat”