IP spoofing?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

IP spoofing?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi folks...i need someone more knowledgeable than me on this topic...was watching streaming movies from one of my roku devices last night and at sometime while i was in and out of sleeping/dozing, i see a message of "insufficient bandwidth"...i just shut off the tv and went to sleep...so when i got up today, i fired up the puter and went into my router and found the following...

IP spoofing from IP 0.0.8.0 to IP 96.17.109.18 (one attempt and then it was "dropped")
IP spoofing from IP 0.0.8.0 to IP 68.142.105.104 (four separate attempts and they also were "dropped" by the router as well)

can anyone inform me as to what was really happening? i dont think there is any real problem except the inconvenience of just shutting off my tv for the night and actually going to sleep (im old so i really needed to get some real sleep)...lol...does this represent some sort of "attack" on my systems?...a random, off the wall drive by probe etc.?...im just curious...DAMIEN
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: IP spoofing?

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:19 pm can anyone inform me as to what was really happening?
IP spoof log messages have three basic causes. Your router sees an IP address on one part of the LAN that it thinks belongs on another part, for example, on the WAN. The second cause is malicious attempts to access your network. Finally, a misconfigured system, a bad network route or VPN route can cause it.

The most common cause is the third one, possibly a misconfigured system on the LAN, for example a system that isn't in the same subnet as the router, or even a virtual machine with network access.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Open Chat”