To All ProtonMail Users

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

To All ProtonMail Users

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I received this letter from my Proton Mail today warning of "phishing attacks" on Proton Mail users...DAMIEN

Dear ProtonMail user,

Over the last few days we have noticed an unusually high number of phishing attempts targeting ProtonMail accounts. To help keep your account safe, we want to remind you of a few security tips:

All emails sent by ProtonMail (like this one) are always starred by default. If it is not starred, we did not send it, and it is a phishing attempt.
If you receive a suspicious email containing a link or attachments, do not click the link or open the attachments. Mark it as spam, and future emails from that sender will go to your spam folder.
ProtonMail will never send you an email with a link asking you to enter your credentials.
If you are not sure whether an email is legitimate, please do not hesitate to ask us. You can reach us at security@protonmail.ch.
If you have previously fallen for a phishing email, please immediately change your account password.
Phishing attacks are one of the most common ways to hack an email account. But they are also easy to prevent if you know what to do (and what not to do). For more information about phishing and how ProtonMail keeps you safe, check out this article: https://protonmail.com/blog/prevent-phishing-attacks.

Stay safe,
The ProtonMail Team

Follow us on social media to stay up-to-date on the latest ProtonMail news:
Twitter: twitter.com/ProtonMail
Facebook: facebook.com/ProtonMail
Instagram: instagram.com/ProtonMail
Google+: plus.google.com/+ProtonMail
Reddit: reddit.com/r/ProtonMail
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: To All ProtonMail Users

Post by KBD47 »

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't received that email yet.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just checked, and that message hit my ProtonMail Inbox at 02:46 AM CST USA time
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have a ProtonMail account, but have decided against using it:

https://cldc.org/organizing-resources/protonmail/
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi jimallyn...i usually always respect your expertise and experience here in the LM forums, but i got to tell ya...when i was reading the, what i personally consider to be, "diatribe", from the "Civil Liberty Defense Center"...well i reached into my desk draw to find my tin foil hat and dusted it off...lol...ive actually known some of these lawyers etc.that set up this organisation a few years ago and last i knew they were still centered out of Eugene, Oregon...on the other hand, i also knew some of the M.I.T. people in Massachusetts that helped the C.E.R.N PHDs that developed the Hadron Collider Particle Accelerator in Switzerland create ProtonMail...well, thats all i can say now since anything else could be considered "political" and as we both know, thats a major "no" "no" on this forum...fondest regards to you...DAMIEN
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

When I got to this line in the linked cldc article:
That might be a fair point; if you’re willing to ignore/destroy your Fourth Amendment right to privacy AND totally conform your beliefs, words, and actions to those of an ecocidal-racist-colonial State.
they lost all credence with me. If that's the way they feel, maybe they should move to North Korea; they just might change their tune after a few days there.
Last edited by Schultz on Fri May 04, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi Schultz...i didnt miss what you said here in this thread but you said with a "quotation mark"

'That might be a fair point; if you’re willing to ignore/destroy your Fourth Amendment right to privacy AND totally conform your beliefs, words, and actions to those of an ecocidal-racist-colonial State."

most people like me tend to "speed read" the published article and miss the subtle nuances...i did not miss this one but the casual reader may have...they may be looking for where that was said in the thread but not looking in the URL link to see where your comment comes from...you, like myself actually read and process every word, but for reader clarity in future you need to clarify your quotes origins...and by the way...yep...i still have my tin foil hat on my head as i also deem this entity (ie...the publisher of the URL web site to be dubious at best)...especially personally knowing in times past, some of the players at large...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
i never read these words in this thread...can you tell me where they came from?
They came from the link to the cldc article (not your link), second to last paragraph. I edited my post to make that more clear.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i just made the necessary corrections in my post Schultz...apologies and many thanks...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Ref: Proton Mail

I use it on occasion, and for my purposes, I think it is probably 'okay'.

simple emails between my son and I, no super secret, critical corporate formulas that might results in Billion$ of income to the investors.

Beyond that, I do think that each message should be encrypted before the sender pastes it into the email service. For that, I should think that a minimum of 256 bit encryption should be used.

But, what do I know? I flunked Calculus in college. Boolean Algebra? loved that.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I have been trying out both Protonmail and Tutanota mail. Both are pretty good. They are most protective when the client on the other end is using the same program with full encryption end to end. I use them for a more basic purpose--my gmail address has been hacked to heck and back by companies who could not protect my info. Probably about 8 companies or more hacked over the past 5 years have my gmail address so its exposed on the dark web for phishing and other hacking attempts. So I switched all my accounts connected to credit cards/payments over to more secure and lesser known email (Proton & Tutanota).
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I recently posted about encrypted email, and I was wondering whether more people used Tutanota or Proton Mail.

The thing is, you can try to insist all you like that you will only accept encrypted communication, but if everyone else just tunes you out and either doesn't bother, or just quits trying to remain in contact with you... well... I think that's an interesting commentary on society as a whole, but it's also very disheartening.

Email phishing, of course, is nothing new. Last year's pandemic caused my work peers and I to lose access to our work email because our genius company restricted all access to requiring VPN access, and none of us have or qualify for company computers. We've all resorted to using our private email, and of course that largely defeats the purpose.

As the only two resolutions to that are to either drop the email security protocols the company has established, or buy us all laptops, executive level requests that we have access to our email and the company Exchange system have, I must admit as someone who loves a good trainwreck, have been meet with a resounding "Um... lol... no." from elsewhere within the hierarchy.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”