Looking at buying a new full HD monitor

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Looking at buying a new full HD monitor

Post by GS3 »

I couldn't find a forum where I thought this would fit better. Mods please move if there is a better place.

For about eight months I have been thinking about getting a monitor with higher pixel count. I found and liked the Asus VX228H, which is 21.5", full HD, 1920 x 1080, with 2 x HDMI, DVI, D-Sub (VGA) inputs. It was above my budget, especially taking into account I do not really need a better monitor than what I currently have. So I thought I would wait a few months for the price to come down but it has not come down at all.

So, I am thinking it is possible I am looking at something that exceeds my needs. I do not play games and do not need a specially fast response time. I am kind of looking for 1920 x 1080, 22", HDMI & VGA inputs and not much more. And hopefully well under $100.

Any advice or ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Looking at buying a new full HD monitor

Post by absque fenestris »

Your asking price is already at the lower limit, check out the reviews here:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS228H-P-19 ... B005BZNDOO

The key point is durability. Nobody's gonna jump around for service for that price. So the purchase is a matter of luck...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I did much the same, about 2008 and bought a 24" HiRes Samsung auto everything monitor.

I have never, once regretted doing that.
No matter what I want to do, that monitor will do it.

Just as bright today as it was 10 years ago and works just like the day I bought it.
The only thing I do is drag my fingers across the bottom of the screen to "power it down" when I am thru.

I do not leave it "ON" 24/7 although it is plugged into A/C 24/7.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Just sitting in front of an 11-year-old IBM monitor:
Purchased used (about 100$) but the part is indestructible, 1200 x 1600 ISP and really heavy...
Last edited by absque fenestris on Thu May 03, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Personal opinion. Do not get an HD (1920x1080) monitor. I don't like them. To me, they really don't look good at all. I much prefer the 1920x1200 size. The 1920x1080 is a 16:9 aspect ratio. The 1920x1200 is a 16:10 (8:5) aspect ratio. It is MUCH easier on the eyes, gives you more screen real estate, and everything just looks better. I have a dual monitor setup at work. The original monitors were both 16:9. When I found two unused 16:10 monitors, I switched them out and have never regretted it. My iMac has a 16:10 aspect ratio. It's my daily driver. I have a much more powerful Dell Zino with a 16:9 ratio monitor. It has Windows 7 and I turn it on once a month to receive updates. Can't stand the screen size either.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I agree with the advice for a 16:10 aspect ratio if you can stretch the budget. I have a Dell U2415 that I've had for 3 years (1920 x 1200) and I love it. Don't know what the equivalent model is going for these days, but mine was closer to $300 than $100. It still works perfectly and not a single bad pixel.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

@ CaptainKirksChair

I absolutely agree. But - for 100$ there is no good 1920 x 1200 monitor.
If the opener has $100 available, a recommendation like - EIZO/Nanao are the best - makes little sense.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Thanks for all the responses.

I had not given any thought to the aspect ratio. I presently have and use regularly different monitors with 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 AR and do not have any major problem with the AR. I do my computer stuff on any AR monitor without much problem. So, while AR is not a major consideration, I do agree that I would prefer a lower AR to a higher one.

Aside, I generally do not like the trend towards higher AR on broadcast TV which I understand is what drives computer monitors to go the same way. For me the old 4:3 AR was just fine. TV has gone to 16:9 so that movies can be shown and it is fine for that but the problem I have is with the rest of programming where they are showing some news footage and the lower part of the scree is essential because of the format but they cover it up with ticker tape news, subtitles and what not and cover up essential video. And next they will show some video filmed in 16:9 vertically. I am not sure the whole 16:9 format change was so necessary but, in any case, it is being very poorly handled by those who ought to know better. But let's get back to computer use ...

As I was saying, I have enough monitors for my needs and I am just playing around with the idea of getting more video real estate even though it is not really a "need". Probably the main consideration is price. In fact, I sometimes think I can get more video real estate for nothing by just hooking up a second monitor which I already have but I have never really worked with two monitors and I do not think it is worth my trouble.

Months ago I thought it was only a matter of waiting a few months and the price of the Asus VX228H would come down but, not only has it not come down but it has even gone up a bit in some stores. It seems the policy with certain products is to not bring the price down but rather they discontinue the product and offer another one at the same price but with more features.

On my Linux Mint machine I am using the mobo onboard video and a basic 4:3 monitor and I do not really need more but I have an extra GeForce 730 2GB graphics card lying around which I could use with a new monitor. Again, maybe it would make more sense to just add a second monitor because you can get a used one megapixel monitor for close to nothing.

Because I do not play games and some monitors advertise fast response time for gaming I was hoping someone could point out a monitor and say look, here is XYZ monitor which has similar specs but is half the price because it has slower response time.

I guess for the time being I'll just keep looking and wait for prices to come down. I guess if I wait another year I can get a second hand 1920 x 1200 monitor for under $100. The longer I wait the better monitor I can get for the same price.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 pm Just sitting in front of an 11-year-old IBM monitor:
Purchased used (about 100$) but the part is indestructible, 1200 x 1600 ISP and really heavy...
Try pouring a can of coke into it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I have had several early flat displays fail, probably the backlight circuitry failed. I have one here in the corner which has been waiting for several years now for me to have a look at it. Probably not worth the effort now. I hope the newer ones are more reliable.

I had sort of locked myself into the 16:9 AR for no reason just because it seemed that was the way to go, but I have found on eBay a refurbished 1920 x 1200 monitor for under $100 and I might go with that.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

catweazel wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:53 am Try pouring a can of coke into it.
Jumping cats have already tried different kind of destruction - the sheer weight of the base prevents such an evil act. With all kinds of moisture, all two- and four-legged inhabitants exercise the strictest restraint.
This concerns the kitchen; there where the really expensive things stand only the two-legged fellow has access: without food and beverages in monastic asceticism.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

So I bought an Asus VK266H, 25.5", 1920 x 1200, with webcam and speakers included. Refurbished for $80 on eBay. I think it is a good deal.

It has VGA, HDMI inputs. initially I will try VGA because I already have the cable. If that is not optimal then I will have to look into getting HDMI cable but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Thanks to those who brought up the 1920 x 1200 idea. It broadened my search and yielded a good opportunity.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Hi GS3

Looked at your new thing at newegg: Fine - I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

It's worth comparing the DVI connection to the HDMI connection - HDMI doesn't necessarily have to be better.

If you are interested in a simple setting of colors:
http://www.eci.org/en/downloads

search below: monitor screen

Here you can find useful "monitor" downloads.
eci_monitor_test_mac.sit 597 kb 2005-01-11
eci_monitor_test_pc.zip 962 kb 2004-12-13

these are gray value test images BNP and TIFF to correct at least the coarsest color and contrast deviations. Don't worry there are just pictures - no programs
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Switched from a 1920x1080 monitor to an ultra-wide 2560x1080 about three months ago. It's brilliant with the extra real estate it provides and wouldn't go back to 1920x1080. Bought an LG model cost me about £150.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

We have not even received the shipment and my significant (and better) other is already complaining that we did not and do not need a bigger screen. I am hoping once she gets to use it for a while she will appreciate it and like it. The truth is we were doing fine with what we have but I like playing around with computers.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

GS3 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:32 pm It has VGA, HDMI inputs. initially I will try VGA because I already have the cable. If that is not optimal then I will have to look into getting HDMI cable but I'd rather not if I can help it.
Have not received the monitor yet but I am wondering if VGA will work well at this resolution (1920 x 1200) because if I need to order cables and/or adapters maybe I should not wait. Searching online I see people use 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz without complaint. Can I count on that?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Well, I am very pleased with the new monitors. They work well with VGA so no need to buy HDMI cables. Linux Mint recognizes the webcam which works well. This is a pleasant surprise because LM does not have drivers for my other webcams. I got a good price and I think it was a good purchase.

Return to “Open Chat”