Linux programs come to Chromebooks

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux programs come to Chromebooks

Post by bbaker6212 »

alexa9 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 pm
bbaker6212 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 pm I don't see the point of this. If you want Linux apps then install a Linux distro. It works on Apollo-Lake devices if you use either 1) the rEFInd boot manager or 2) you use Linuxium's ISO respin script for Ubuntu based distro's like Mint, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.
A lot of schools use Chromebooks. I think they would be better off installing Linux on cheap Dell Laptops and Desktops but this will be a decent workaround. Also will give more exposure to Linux which is a good thing for young people to get out of the binary Mac/Windows mindset.
The hardware vendors are as much at fault. They should provide machines with a better BIOS and boot manager capabilities. They usually only offer the choice of Mac or Windows and support that. There's no reason why they cannot deliver/support a machine that has a muti-boot configuration. They just don't want the extra support costs or the demand for Linux, even in the education market is just not big enough to make it worth it for them.
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB (linux-probe), Core i5-8250U, 20GB RAM
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

bbaker6212 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:20 am They usually only offer the choice of Mac or Windows and support that.
I'd say usually support that, but there are holes even in this scenario .. e.g. try finding WiFi drivers for Windows 7 for a Toshiba NB520. That's right, Toshiba hosts/hosted most of the drivers but this one was notably absent. The WiFi worked OOTB in Linux Mint 17.3. Now I know what the card is, I could likely find Win drivers but I disembarked the M$ gravy money train ages ago.

I'm all for more Linux exposure. If this means more of our successors get to discover Linux, meaning an effective end to the MS/Mac duopoly, all the better.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I'm a happy bunny - Acer R11 -- £120 Chromebook convertible with touchscreen. Synaptic from the Debian Stretch Repo and the Playstore. My travel laptop has just got way more useful. The linux container takes a while to load on the first launch. Once running it's got good performance. Only got the update yesterday so will report back on what is possible or not.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I can't run Cinnamon, but I can run Nemo.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

What I would rather see in ChromeOS is a way to run X-window applications remotely (have them installed on the desktop machine in my home office, use the Chromebook in another room to run them on that screen). Essentially, use the Chromebook as a "portable Xterminal".
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

RealVNC is available as a Chrome app so you can remote any Linux desktop with a VNC server to a Chrome OS device.

I actually use it as my VNC client of choice on my Linux machines aswell.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

jelabarre59 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:41 pm a way to run X-window applications remotely
ssh -X is an effective way of doing this if it's individual programs you want to run, assuming chromebooks have ssh functionality.

On the server you'll need to edit the "X11Forwarding" line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config as follows:
X11Forwarding yes.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That doesn't work on Chromebooks as far as I know. I did try a while back. I think it's because they run on Wayland rather than an Xserver.

Return to “Open Chat”