What became of IPV6?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

What became of IPV6?

Post by GS3 »

I like IPV4 and NAT to my LAN because I feel it provides a certain shield from the big, bad Internet.

Years ago we were told the Internet had run out of IPV4 addresses and we needed to start using IPV6 addressing. Fine, I tried to learn a bit about IPV6, enable my computers, etc. Except that enabling IPV6 caused me untold problems and disabling IPV6 seemed to cause no problems so I disabled it. It has been several years and I still have had no need to enable IPV6. Everything seems to work fine without it. What happened? How are we still managing with IPV4?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
MintBean

Re: What became of IPV6?

Post by MintBean »

Your ISP NAT translates those IPV4 addresses to IPV6 and back.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Huh. Who would've thunk it! Neat.

But I am not clear how that would work at the ISP level. Let me think... My local router NAT works because local IP & port are converted to a public IP and different port.

So several LAN computers can share one single public IP address as long as the public IP range of ports does not run out.

Public and local IPs never mix.

But suppose my router asks for a site with an IPV6 address. Now my ISP goes to the site using IPV6 address but communicates with my router using an IPV4 address. What address? What range? Cannot be a private address. Cannot be a public address used by some site. Should not be a public IPV4 address at all. The entire explanation was that IPV6 was needed because we were all out of IPV4 addresses.

Obviously I am missing something. What am I missing?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i disabled ipv6 in isp router. it all depends if your isp has it enabled in your router or if they provide it. you can call support to ask about it
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Just out of Curiosity, I have had IPv6 turned off, and according to my settings it is.
But, "https://whatismyipaddress.com/"
was showing an IPv6 address for me, even though it is "OFF" ??

So, I ran "UnlockMe" and it showed that IPv6 is ON,
Selected that item to modify with UnlockMe and then reran https://whatismyipaddress.com/ again.
Wallah! IPv6 is now actually OFF
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

trytip wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 pmit all depends if your isp has it enabled in your router or if they provide it.
Oh, OK, that makes sense. My router can translate my LAN address to an IPV6 address. Makes sense.

What happens if my router has IPV6 disabled? It cannot reach certain websites?

Return to “Open Chat”