Amusing Reading Recommendation

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Captain Brillo

Amusing Reading Recommendation

Post by Captain Brillo »

"Year Zero" by Rob Reid

Earth is at stake: a little mistaken identity lands a copyright lawyer in a mess of aliens, music, royalties, piracy, save-earth-from-destruction, a surprise appearance by Bill Gates and the most amazing, hilarious, and obviously true twist at the end. (a wonderful example of the issue of the Oxford comma there)
This is a hugely fun and light-hearted book in a grim time. An accidental find I wouldn't have missed for the world.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Amusing Reading Recommendation

Post by AndyMH »

Hitchhikers guide - Douglas Adams
The colour of magic - the first Terry Pratchett discworld
The lost continent - Bill Bryson
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes (1989)
giuliogabrieli

Post by giuliogabrieli »

The Man in the High Castle (P. Dick)
One of the best sci-fi book I've read recently.
What if Germany and Japan were the winners of WWII? And what if someone wrote an alternate history book were the USA won the war?
Faust

Post by Faust »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 am A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes (1989)
Yep .... that's a good read !

I suggest -
Millroy the Magician by Paul Theroux

It's an entertaining novel with the power to change people's views on consumerism in general , and junk food in particular .
Great book for adults and kids alike !
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I must be boring, All I've been reading of late have been Perl, HTML, PHP and Java tutorials with little progress to solving my problem. :D Anyway, not a topic for this thread!
I agree "Hitchhikers" is a good read. I watched the Netflix rendition just recently which was "interesting" though the movie was a little closer to the original.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

If you find Tolkein's prose a bit too prolix, Bored of the Rings is a nice diversion. It is a proper skewering of tales where much of the storyline is about walking. I still get a giggle from: Bromosel looked up to the top of the page and winced. "At least another chapter to go," he groaned.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Captain Brillo wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:42 pm "Year Zero" by Rob Reid

Earth is at stake: a little mistaken identity lands a copyright lawyer in a mess of aliens, music, royalties, piracy, save-earth-from-destruction, a surprise appearance by Bill Gates and the most amazing, hilarious, and obviously true twist at the end. (a wonderful example of the issue of the Oxford comma there)
This is a hugely fun and light-hearted book in a grim time. An accidental find I wouldn't have missed for the world.
I've got that book in my digital library waiting to be read :)
Thanks for reminding me!

Return to “Open Chat”