I think I'm done with Gmail. Maybe I'm even ready to pay for email?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

I think I'm done with Gmail. Maybe I'm even ready to pay for email?

Post by jameskga »

Hi folks,

I was thinking about email today and that maybe it's time to let go of Gmail.

What if there was a Google agent who stood by your mailbox on the sidewalk, and offered to read your mail for you, and send copies of it back to Google? I'd most certainly tell that guy where to go. Just because I can't see Google reading my email doesn't make it better that they do. Email is not so impossible to come by that I should let them make money selling my data for providing this basic internet service.

I need a good list of ethical alternatives with good privacy policies and security.

I rent space at Bluehost and GoDaddy by the month. and although I have plenty of email choices behind domains I currently own or manage, I doubt these companies' privacy policies respect the mail I send through their servers, so I might have to pay.

Anybody here pay for email? One good argument I heard for paying for email service is it rebalances privacy toward the consumer by way of a contract, possibly including privacy guarantees that must be adhered to after a user pays for this service from the company. Something legal, having to do with getting exactly what you pay for in a financial agreement.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

Someone on IRC recommended Posteo
https://posteo.de/en
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I think I'm done with Gmail. Maybe I'm even ready to pay for email?

Post by BigEasy »

There is one thing you must know. There is no such thing as "your email". Everything stored at someboby's servers. It is "their email". You only allowed to look.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Since you have privacy concerns, Protonmail or Tutanota might be your jam. I would also recommend looking at Lavabit.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

BigEasy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 am There is one thing you must know. There is no such thing as "your email". Everything stored at someboby's servers. It is "their email". You only allowed to look.
Sure, it's nice weather today... kick in an already open door*, why don't you. :wink:

*This is a saying in my language and I think it's pretty clear what it means.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Open door is email. Knocking open door is pay for email.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I don't see how paying makes it any better. That's what encryption is for. Use end-to-end encryption.

OTOH, I have several email addresses and just use an email client so I never see any ads and I have no idea what info the different email services might be collecting about me but I doubt it will be useful to them. If you use web-based client then yes, they can target their ads but if all they have is an email address and no real information to link it to then...

That is what I hate people who sign up for facething, whatsapp or whatever and give access to their address book. How rude and stupid do you have to be to give out my information without my permission?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

GS3 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:40 am I don't see how paying makes it any better.
Great; let's hear your recommendations for free, ethical alternatives with good privacy policies and security.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Depending upon how much email you use/get you might get by with a free Tutanota or Protonmail account. I've been trying both of those out and no issues so far. Might keep gmail as a throwaway account, especially as they have a good spam mail catcher.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have been pleased with Runbox. I have used it for a couple of years - the prices are reasonable and there are several service plans. Other than scheduled maintenance, I have not experienced any service interruptions.

Its servers are located in Norway and it is GDPR compliant.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi jameskga, and everyone else,

I love the free and secure Google and Google Mail (Gmail), and their related products and services (Google Voice/Hangouts). Who else provides all these free features and services linked to your Gmail account(s)? Use good passwords and their default 2-factor authentication, and change your login passwords every now and then, perhaps monthly, or every couple months.

I do not like anyone including Google reading my email without my permission, and Google was supposed to stop that awhile ago, see links below. There are add-ons and extensions for helping with this.

Does google mail read my email - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... qAzuKfEwik

- For truly secure email, you would have to use an encryption option and an email client that supports encryption like Thunderbird with Enigmail add-on (Kmail, Evolution, etc...), or perhaps using a browser add-on like the one below.

CryptoData – Add-ons for Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

CryptoData for Google Chrome:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cadfghkjjh

CryptoData for SeaMonkey, PaleMoon, Thunderbird, Firefox ver. < 52:
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/crypto ... sions/2.09

- You can also use an email client to retrieve your emails from a web-based email provider like Google's Gmail to automatically store them on your computer and automatically delete them from their servers (remember to empty their trash bin). This way your emails are not on their servers for very long to be read by anyone.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun May 20, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

phd21 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:59 pm I do not like anyone including Google reading my email without my permission, and Google was supposed to stop that awhile ago
They have certainly not stopped reading your email. But they have your permission if you're using their service.

I'm not clicking your link, by the way, because it's a Google link and I don't like companies that monitor my search behaviour. And so I refrain from using their services whenever I can.

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

My vote goes to Protonmail
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Moem and everyone else,
phd21 wrote:I do not like anyone including Google reading my email without my permission, and Google was supposed to stop that awhile ago
moem wrote:They have certainly not stopped reading your email. But they have your permission if you're using their service. I'm not clicking your link, by the way, because it's a Google link and I don't like companies that monitor my search behaviour. And so I refrain from using their services whenever I can.
Now Moem brought up another very good point, Google and most other search engines (Microsoft's Bing, among others), do in fact monitor and use your Internet search activities, but anyone can search for that same information using anonymous and safe search engines from some search websites. I normally have "Startpage" as my default search engine now and anyone can change their browsers default search engines. You can also use browser options for "Private Windows".

StartPage Search Engine - secure and anonymous click bottom to see more about them
- Go here and use the search "does google read my emails"
https://www.startpage.com/

DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified.
https://duckduckgo.com/
Google will no longer read your personal emails | WIRED UK
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-r ... ls-privacy

How to stop Google from tracking you and delete your personal data | WIRED UK
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-h ... -to-delete
Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun May 20, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I like Fastmail, hosted out of Australia. Totally professional and no ads, data mining or 3rd party sharing. You're allowed a large number of aliases. $30 per year for 2000 mb of storage.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Moem wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:43 pm
GS3 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:40 am I don't see how paying makes it any better.
Great; let's hear your recommendations for free, ethical alternatives with good privacy policies and security.
Protonmail.com, Tutanota.com, Mailfence.com, Disroot.org
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After reading various ToS I've decided to host a custom domain with Protonmail.

See you in Hell, Google!
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

jameskga wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 am Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After reading various ToS I've decided to host a custom domain with Protonmail.

See you in Hell, Google!
You got out just in time. Not content to just read our emails, Google is going to help write them:
https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/googl ... tor=CS3-17
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

KBD47 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:40 pm Not content to just read our emails, Google is going to help write them:
https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/googl ... tor=CS3-17
... That makes me think of
Not a happy thought! :shock:

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

LOL! :D
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

It seems weird that protonmail would register its' domain name at godaddy.

Return to “Open Chat”