QUBES and TAILS operating systems VS linux mint

Chat about just about anything else
winxpwasgreat
Level 3
Level 3

QUBES and TAILS operating systems VS linux mint

Post by winxpwasgreat » Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm

I am interested in your views on pros and cons with linux mint and qubes / tails. I don't really know much about the latter, but seems to come from the same premises linux mint does come from (secure, lightweight).
I was also wondering how user-friendly qubes / tails is compared to linux mint, and how big their community is.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: QUBES and TAILS operating systems VS linux mint

Post by catweazel » Wed May 23, 2018 4:26 am

winxpwasgreat wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm
I am interested in your views on pros and cons with linux mint and qubes / tails. I don't really know much about the latter, but seems to come from the same premises linux mint does come from (secure, lightweight).
Tails stands for The Amnesic Incognito Live System. It is a live operating system that aims to preserve your privacy and anonymity. Tails is intended to be booted off of a live CD and leave no trace on the computer it is run on, but using Tails this way requires the user to restart their computer every time they want to switch from their installed OS to Tails. Despite this, in case that method becomes cumbersome, Tails can be used inside virtualization software and Qubes.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/tails/

You can use Mint in that fashion but it's really designed to be installed.
I was also wondering how user-friendly qubes / tails is compared to linux mint, and how big their community is.
Wouldn't you be better off asking them that: https://www.qubes-os.org/support/
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: QUBES and TAILS operating systems VS linux mint

Post by Moem » Wed May 23, 2018 5:20 am

winxpwasgreat wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm
the same premises linux mint does come from (secure, lightweight).
I wouldn't say that's the main focus of Mint. The homepage says:
The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.
There are distros that focus more on security (although I consider Mint to be plenty secure enough for most people and purposes) and there are lots of distros that are more lightweight.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open chat”