Whine about Searching with Boolean operators

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Captain Brillo

Whine about Searching with Boolean operators

Post by Captain Brillo »

Do any current search engines actually still respond to Boolean operators in the search query?

Other than Google's Advanced Search, I can' t find any that work right the way I use them. Once upon a time, it was how you searched for anything on any engine, but now they seem to ignore these terms.
Especially DUCKDUCKGO, which I've had great hopes for, but it's hopeless with AND/NOT/OR/NEAR/+/- none of them seem to work.

So are we condemned to Google (well, maybe StartPage) for complicated searches?
And what happened to the old "Search within these Results", where you could completely change your search and limit it to the last search results?

Searching for anything now is more a long complicated game of "guess how to ask your question" than an effective way to find things. Outright bummer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Whine about Searching with Boolean operators

Post by Portreve »

Yeah, duckduckgo is hopeless. I just did an image search for:

car and hatchback not Chevy not blue

And literally the results returned Chevy hatchback cars with mostly blue models. Seriously confused, ddg?

Unlike others (here and elsewhere) I'm not deliberately trying to avoid Google or their products, but I can appreciate the concerns they have which are driving them to find other options, and I can therefore appreciate that Google Search is still not really replaceable for more exotic queries.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Portreve wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:08 pm Yeah, duckduckgo is hopeless.
If you think that's bad you should try the one on the AdTurds website. :lol: Seriously though, it should be basic functionality? I didn't realize it was missing! :oops:

I really thought it was just my poor search-fu. :x It really can be hard to guess the cryptic search terms one must use in order to find relevant results.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Portreve wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:08 pmcar and hatchback not Chevy not blue
Try
"car" "hatchback" -Chevy -blue
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Open Chat”