Reinstating windows

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Reinstating windows

Post by catweazel »

Mattyboy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 am Oh, now there's a new toy!.....or do I really wanna give it access to my safe secure drives? Don't think I trust Windose enough for that :lol: .... nice one.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=270379#p1475910

Quod vide.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:26 am
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=270379#p1475910

Quod vide.
Cheers :)
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

acs42 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:47 pm I am having no luck with running Linux so I want to go back to pathetic, but at least working, Windows 10. I'm having problems finding an easy way to remove Linux and reinstall Windows. Can anyone help, please?
I might have said this 10 years ago but not today. Linux Mint is flawless IMHO. What kind of problems did you have :?: :?:
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Mattyboy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm +1 for what Moem said. You should ask for more help running Linux.. that being said...

You will have to run the Windows DISKPART, CLEAN command on your hard drive from command prompt before you can re-install Windows as it can't read the Linux ext drive format.... google is your friend.
Windows can't read the ext partitions, but it can delete the ext partitions. I have done it since Windows XP
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Pity to go back.
I was a Wintendo user for about 40 years myself.
Never knew that the Linux community was a serious 'business'. I regret my ignorance now...!
XP was ok(best ever imo). W7, well, started to get 'difficult' to tune.
W8 was a disaster and W10 did it in my case, I thought : this has to end now..!
Problem with these latest versions of wintendo is that it wants to be an issue itself, it acts as a program...! An OS has to silently wait until it is needed for some reason. We'll that's my point of view.

I'm a complete newbie in Linux.
Started to install Mint a few days ago. Can't say I regret it at all. I'd even say very pleased I made the jump in that 'big black hole'.
In a way it feels somewhat familiar. I like the 'XP-look'. Don't get me wrong here guys, I don't want to compare XP with Mint AT ALL...!
It' just that Linux does what it's suppose to do and that's it...! No silly announcements, no unnecessary messages that constantly are pushed in your throat, and not a zillion icons on screen when you start Linux. But what I like the most of all is that Linux Is 'All in'. I mean no need to install additional software. It's all there, and it's for free. (Well in my case i need to install virtual box for Win and Inventor, a 3D-drawing software, but I can live with that). And one more thing, when I look at the list of running services in Mint and compare it with wintendo's amount of services... I can only say I'm very pleased with that short services list in Mint. In the past, every time I installed a PC for me or friends, clients, I needed at least 1 to 2 hours to 'clean up' wintendo to free it from all these silly and unnecessary services that gobbles up resources, slowing that PC down considerably..!

Beside Mint I also just installed Ubuntu on a brand-new PC(my wife's) only need to find the correct WiFi driver. Think I just found it, thanks to this forum.
Great guys..
Thanks

Chris
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Chriske, .......
Chriske wrote:.
Try open-source alternatives ... https://opensource.com/alternatives/autocad
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9463
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Hey thanks Michael,

Very important issue is to be able to import ipt-files if I'd start with Linux supported 3D-software.
ipt files are Autodesk-Inventor files.
I have about 40Gb(!!) ipt files. Over the last 15 yearsI have built up a lib that I can't and will not abandon. So you'll understand I cannot just use any software.
That new software needs to be 100% 'compatible' with Inventor.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Chriske wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:38 am I was a Wintendo user for about 40 years myself.
Wow a windows user before it even existed :lol: :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS#History
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

What a mistake to make...!!
That should have been 30 instead of 40 of course... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Open Chat”