Reinstating windows

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
acs42

Reinstating windows

Post by acs42 »

I am having no luck with running Linux so I want to go back to pathetic, but at least working, Windows 10. I'm having problems finding an easy way to remove Linux and reinstall Windows. Can anyone help, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Reinstating windows

Post by Moem »

acs42 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:47 pm I am having no luck with running Linux
And yet you never bothered to come here and ask for help? What a shame. Sounds to me like you never gave yourself much of a chance.

There is no need to remove your Linux Mint installation. You can just reinstall Windows the usual way and have it use the whole disk. Then your Mint installation will be gone.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

+1 for what Moem said. You should ask for more help running Linux.. that being said...

You will have to run the Windows DISKPART, CLEAN command on your hard drive from command prompt before you can re-install Windows as it can't read the Linux ext drive format.... google is your friend.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Best place for Windows installation advice is a Windows forum. If you want help installing Linux, this is the place.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mattyboy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm it can't read the Linux ext drive format....
Woops! Thanks for that correction. It's been a while, I tend to forget the shortcomings in Windows because I don't deal with them anymore.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mattyboy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm +1 for what Moem said. You should ask for more help running Linux.. that being said...

You will have to run the Windows DISKPART, CLEAN command on your hard drive from command prompt before you can re-install Windows as it can't read the Linux ext drive format.... google is your friend.
Well, I wish I had known that when I reinstalled Windwoes right over the top of Linux Mint with ext4 on a laptop not one hour ago.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:39 am
Mattyboy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm it can't read the Linux ext drive format....
Woops! Thanks for that correction. It's been a while, I tend to forget the shortcomings in Windows because I don't deal with them anymore.
Except that not being able to read ext4 is no barrier to reinstalling Windwoes.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:13 am
Well, I wish I had known that when I reinstalled Windwoes right over the top of Linux Mint with ext4 on a laptop not one hour ago.
That was lucky, usually Windows moans that it "can't be installed to this disk".

Out of curiosity was it W10 you installed?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Here the Win 10's Installation Media seems to be able to see the Linux Ext4 partitions on my disk with the "delete" button enabled.

Code: Select all

~$ sudo fdisk -l
--snip--
/dev/sda7  129081344 191995903 62914560   30G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda8  191995904 244424703 52428800   25G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda9  244424704 296853503 52428800   25G Linux filesystem
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Yeah I noticed the other day when installing the latest W10 update on a new SSD that disk management picked up on my Linux partitions, which is something new, but it still moaned that they needed 'formatting'.

Maybe they've added 'improvements'?.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mattyboy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:25 am
catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:13 am
That was lucky, usually Windows moans that it "can't be installed to this disk".

Out of curiosity was it W10 you installed?
Yes, I merely deleted the ext4 partition from within the installer, created a new one and off it went.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:35 am

Yes, I merely deleted the ext4 partition from within the installer, created a new one and off it went.
Well, there you go :) See my above comment, guess they changed that then.

EDIT: I wonder if this has anything to do with being able to run/install Linux now in powershell?..... nothing like a bit of speculation with your morning coffee!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Mattyboy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am .... nothing like a bit of speculation with your morning coffee!
That's how I like my coffee too!
:D
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Marziano wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 am
That's how I like my coffee too!
:D
:lol:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mattyboy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am EDIT: I wonder if this has anything to do with being able to run/install Linux now in powershell?..... nothing like a bit of speculation with your morning coffee!
No. Powershell is completely separate from the installer.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:49 am

No. Powershell is completely separate from the installer.
Yeah, sure... running with the speculation again... but it makes sense that you can/will be able to read/write to ext from within the Windows environment seeing as Linux is now an option, right?. Whats the point in running it from within Windows if it can't read the disks on a Linux server for example?

I duuno, to early for this :lol:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mattyboy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:56 am Whats the point in running it from within Windows if it can't read the disks on a Linux server for example?
There is no need for speculation.

Enterprise customers forced Microsoft's hand. More than 40% of Azure cloud servers run linux, as do at least 60% of AWS cloud servers. powershell on linux is merely another tool that allows developers and operations (devops) people to manage windows servers, Azure, VMware, Hyper-V and other systems without the need to use Windwoes.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:51 am
Enterprise customers forced Microsoft's hand. More than 40% of Azure cloud servers run linux, as do at least 60% of AWS cloud servers. powershell on linux is merely another tool that allows developers and operations (devops) people to manage windows servers, Azure, VMware, Hyper-V and other systems without the need to use Windwoes.
Yeah.

Out of curiosity I booted into my W10 earlier and logged into bash on powershell just to see if I could access my ext partitions....

..eh that would be a no :lol: Scratch that idea. I know its not what its there for but it would be pretty cool if you could access local ext drives that way. SSH works great accessing my local machines though.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mattyboy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:02 am ..eh that would be a no :lol: Scratch that idea. I know its not what its there for but it would be pretty cool if you could access local ext drives that way. SSH works great accessing my local machines though.
You need a third party driver to access ext4 from within Windwoes.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Oh, now there's a new toy!.....or do I really wanna give it access to my safe secure drives? Don't think I trust Windose enough for that :lol: .... nice one.

Return to “Open Chat”