The "fox" is buying the hen house??? Microsoft purchases Github

Chat about just about anything else
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: The "fox" is buying the hen house???

Post by BigEasy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:43 am

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 am
Blaming Github is like blaming the victim.
Wrong. Read:
https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/
P S - Did something happen to your Win 10 Logo Avatar.?
May be. I really do not care about someone avatars include my.

Chris Wanstrath looks:
I am very excited to announce that Microsoft is acquiring GitHub and expect the agreement to close by the end of the year.
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: we don't need to drag such nastiness into it
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am

@ BigEasy, .......
BigEasy wrote:.
Wrong. Excited Github is like being bribed with million$ by rich M$ to handover the keys to the Open-source code vault.

Linux developers' reaction to this buyout is mostly negative, eg ... https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/p ... thub/page2

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:01 am

michael louwe wrote:
[...]
Blaming Github is like blaming the victim. <removed by admin as we don't need to drag such nastiness into it>
[...]
This has absolutely nothing to do with this topic, and equating one with the other is ridiculous and I'd guess offensive to some.
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I removed it from all posts in the topic
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am

michael louwe wrote:
Yes, rich bullies are like M$. Blaming Github is like blaming the victim.
GitHub is hardly a victim, here. It wanted a buyer. It considered an IPO, but decided finding a buyer was the better option. Considering it has been looking for a new CEO for nearly 10 months, I suspect the VCs funding the project were anxious to get a return on their investment.

The way I see it, it is as if GitHub opened the gate, rolled out the red carpet, set out a welcome mat, and waited for someone to walk in with a fat bank account and an open checkbook.

In the end it could be that Microsoft is the victim, here. It is paying $7.5B for a company with a (2015) market evaluation of $2B and an annual revenue of $200M. It is purchasing what looks like a unicorn, but it could actually be a donkey with a horn tied to its head. MS could easily keep with tradition and mismanage GitHub into irrelevancy.
<removed by admin as we don't need to drag such nastiness into it>
This comparison is so misplaced it is not even wrong. To paraphrase Jules Winnfield: It isn't in the same ballpark. It ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport.
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I removed it from all posts in the topic

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:27 am

It's clear this is a divisive topic. Assume good faith and keep comments civil or we'll lock this.

thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thx-1138 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:32 am

...is Gitlab going to represent a viable alternative in the next few months, or is M$ going to heavily invest into Github in such a manner,
so that most devs will be tied into it? (to not use the more aggressive term forced-by-circumstances-to-use it).
Remains to be seen (but somehow i wouldn't hold my breath though).

...other than that, all that I will say, is that mr. Nadella certainly knows how to keep mr.Ballmer's mantra from 2006 alive & kicking... :lol:

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:46 am

BenTrabetere wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am
In the end it could be that Microsoft is the victim, here. It is paying $7.5B for a company with a (2015) market evaluation of $2B and an annual revenue of $200M. It is purchasing what looks like a unicorn, but it could actually be a donkey with a horn tied to its head.
:lol:
thx-1138 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:32 am
...is Gitlab going to represent a viable alternative in the next few months, or is M$ going to heavily invest into Github in such a manner,
so that most devs will be tied into it? (to not use the more aggressive term forced-by-circumstances-to-use it).
GitLab has been viable for me since July 2016 (when I joined). With git being built on the idea that you can host on any server, and there being lots of good (though not perfect) alternatives to GitHub, I think we'll be fine.
That is, assuming that GitHub actually were to go downhill.
xenopeek wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 am
And... you can find me on GitLab :mrgreen:
See ya there! :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:47 am

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 am

And... you can find me on GitLab :mrgreen:
Good for you xenopeek :D

Kyowash
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kyowash » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:58 pm

New GitHub logo:

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Fred Barclay wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:46 am
GitLab has been viable for me since July 2016 (when I joined). With git being built on the idea that you can host on any server, and there being lots of good (though not perfect) alternatives to GitHub, I think we'll be fine.
That is, assuming that GitHub actually were to go downhill.
I think this is a facet that is being overlooked. There are alternatives to GitHub, and developers will explore those options if Microsoft starts acting ... like Microsoft of days past. I do not see Embrace, Extend, Extinguish being a valid threat.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:02 pm

BenTrabetere wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am
The way I see it, it is as if GitHub opened the gate, rolled out the red carpet, set out a welcome mat, and waited for someone to walk in with a fat bank account and an open checkbook.
I bet if MS will decide to buy any Linux distro for 5-7 Billion then any distro will start to look for the same red carpet. Or even better.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:01 pm

@ BigEasy, .......
BigEasy wrote:I bet if MS will decide to buy any Linux distro for 5-7 Billion then any distro will start to look for the same red carpet. Or even better.
????
If so, that would be like M$ committing suicide by jumping out from a Window, 10-th floor.

If M$ buys Canonical's Ubuntu-Linux distro, that would mean the eventual demise of Win 10 and M$ because Ubuntu is cost-free while Win 10 is not cost-free and most users would then flock to other cost-free Linux distro, eg Linux Mint, Zorin, Peppermint, Elementary, Fedora, etc.

Rayser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rayser » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:49 pm

The bitcoin community is already moving.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 pm

they knew it was coming this video was put out yesterday 1 day before the announcement. hardcore github devs will have a new home, hopefully with the same results or better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOXuOg9tQI

JadedMonk
Level 1
Level 1

Microsoft acquiring GitHub: What's this mean for Linux?

Post by JadedMonk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 am

Just as the Title states, what's this mean for Linux? I know GitHub has only been around since 2008, but the act itself leaves no denying that Micro$ucks is on the warpath...

( https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-micr ... velopment/ )

...it seems clear to me now that MS has realized that the recent mass migration of malcontents into Linux (and Apple Unfortunately) is a leak in the hole of their attempted total spectrum dominance of computer code and the Orwellian Monstrosity that is Windows 10. I rarely if ever use GitHub, but, I'm an old Fart who's been using some version of Linux or another for a decade & a half (and Unix before that). Am I the only one that sees this as a portent for things to come???
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title: the company is named Microsoft, not Micro$ucks.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Microsoft acquiring GitHub: What's this mean for Linux?

Post by BenTrabetere » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

JadedMonk wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 am
Just as the Title states, what's this mean for Linux?
I doubt there will be any long-term consequences - good or bad - for Linux. It may be an inconvenience for developers, but there are enough alternatives that any inconvenience should minimal.

I see this as a yet another bad investment for MS, and it will have to find a way to make money from this venture. I suspect this will involve tie-ins to other MS businesses like Azure and LinkedIn, and possibly slurping and selling user data. In the end I see MS mismanaging GitHub into oblivion.
the act itself leaves no denying that Micro$ucks is on the warpath...
I am not so sure about that. If it is, I think MS could have done a lot more damage with that $7.5B. For example, it could have bought Canonical or SUSE (or both), or a controlling interest in Red Hat.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:47 pm

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:01 pm
If M$ buys Canonical's Ubuntu-Linux distro, that would mean the eventual demise of Win 10 and M$ because Ubuntu is cost-free while Win 10 is not cost-free and most users would then flock to other cost-free Linux distro, eg Linux Mint, Zorin, Peppermint, Elementary, Fedora, etc.
3% of desktop users is not what MS warries about. 3% is free to do what they want.

fruitkiller
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fruitkiller » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Just heard this from my favourite internet radio show. I downloaded a few apps on github and right now it doesn't seem to mean anything, but the fact they own it pisses me off. See how Skype, even for Linux, sucks since they bought it. Worried this will happen in the long run.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:30 pm

<moderator on>
Merging this thread into the existing thread about the same topic: The "fox" is buying the hen house??? Microsoft purchases Github
</moderator off>
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge done
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The "fox" is buying the hen house??? Microsoft purchases Github

Post by mediclaser » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Reading the words Microsoft and fox within a title line opens up an old wound in me. :(

Back in the 90's, MS bought FoxPro...one of the best XBASE programming tools. MS improved a lot on it, and it became known as Visual FoxPro (VFP). It was the number one RAD tool for any size business. If you are a small to medium size business, it's all you need for developing your apps. You don't need to purchase a database server. And if you decide to migrate your data to a more powerful database like their own MS SQL, you could do it with very little code modification. Also, you don't need to pay runtime license (or royalty) when you deploy or sell your apps.

But when M$ realized VFP was making it hard for them to sell their other products to smaller businesses, they killed it just like that...even though it was the number 1 product in that category.

What made it painful for me personally was VFP made me a "super" developer because of its very useful features. I could create a solution in a matter of minutes, which other developers using other tools would take weeks (if not months) to develop.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Open chat”