My daily driver up and died, sob...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

My daily driver up and died, sob...

Post by AZgl1800 »

the ASUS TP500L that I have put so much work into, just up and blinked at me, and went black.
pressed the power button and the power on LED, winks for 1 second and bye bye.

so, pulled the battery and plugged in the power cord, all of the LEDs light up full brilliance, hit he power button and nothing....

now I am wondering if I just threw $54 bux in the toilet by ordering a new battery?

a shame, I had just finished not 3 days ago, installing a brand new Tactile Feel keyboard, a new 500 gB SSD and 8 gB of DDR3 RAM which probably won't fit another laptop.... :evil:

it was running so fast, fired up to the Desktop in 10 seconds flat.
and with 12 gB of RAM, she was a screamer.

and she taught me how to properly use "Something Else" to partition up the SSD for:

/
/home
/swap
/backup ( 200 gB partition )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
michael louwe

Re: My daily driver up and died, sob...

Post by michael louwe »

Could be a LED/LCD screen display failure = replace the screen. Happened to my oldish Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Try connecting the laptop to a large screen TV via VGA.
....... Do you still get the LM Logo sound after bootup.?

Try booting the Live LM USB. If successful = likely hard-drive failure.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:17 am Could be a LED/LCD screen display failure = replace the screen. Happened to my oldish Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Try connecting the laptop to a large screen TV via VGA.
....... Do you still get the LM Logo sound after bootup.?

Try booting the Live LM USB. If successful = likely hard-drive failure.
Good points, will try that, when I get back from vacation and the new battery will be waiting for me at the Post Office..... all that stuff I put on hold, as I live in a Rural Area and don't want to broadcast my absence.

I have an old green VGA screen here somewhere in the 'lost and unfound' box. :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:56 am I live in a Rural Area and don't want to broadcast my absence.
Put in some security cameras. A friend told me about WyzeCam. When they detect motion or sound they record 12 seconds of video and send it off to a remote server, then send you a message on your smart phone. (If they steal the camera, the video is already saved remotely.) You can also watch (and listen) live from your smart phone (and talk back). Has IR LEDs so it can see at night, Many other features. Twenty bucks. I bought one and it's great, and I will probably buy a few more. My friend has six, and among other things, uses them to watch the birds in the yard. No, I do not have any financial interest in WyzeCam, just letting my Mint friends know about a good deal.

You still don't want to broadcast your absence, of course.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

We stopped ordering things to be shipped to the house 3 weeks ago.

I have a Stop Order in for the mail, our mail box is the Largest Rural size made, and has an inner Locking Door with a drop slot that has a shelf behind it to prevent clothes hanger thieves from pulling mail out. expensive but well worth it.

grass just mowed, all nice and neat. we have six acres, 3 of which are grass, 3 are in trees.

the house sits 300 feet back from the road and we paved the drive 2 years ago.... the power company installed two of those big yard lights on top of the power poles.... we knock knock, so far have never had a theft.

I will check out that camera, my neighbor bought one from Home Depot, don't like it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I was looking for spare parts for my laptop, and found this,

wonder if it is capable of running Linux Mint Cinnamon? :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-i7-7700 ... b_title_ce

ASUS VivoBook Thin and Light Gaming Laptop, 15.6" Full HD, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD+1TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB, backlit keyboard - M580VD-EB76

That ought to partition up quite nicely with all of the backup on the spinning contraption in the back door LOL
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:13 am wonder if it is capable of running Linux Mint Cinnamon? :lol:
Um, yeah, I think mint would run just fine on that!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:13 am ...
wonder if it is capable of running Linux Mint Cinnamon? :lol:
My 6-year-old dual-core laptop with 8 gig RAM runs fast with Cinnamon. For sure a very new quad-core with 16 gig RAM like that laptop should run faster.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Hoot!!!

Hoot!!!

My Daily Driver is ALIVE !!!!

3 weeks ago plus,
My ASUS up and just flashed at me, and all the lights went out...
after a bit of hopeful thinking, decided that I must have reassembled it incorrectly and pinched the battery pack, and maybe creating an internal short??

So, ordered up a new battery pack, that took from June 5th I see from this thread's date, until yesterday's mail....
from Hong Kong or parts there abouts:

Put the new battery pack in, turned the screen on, and wallah, it presented the same exact screen that I was looking at when it quit.

Would not respond to the mouse, so I did the R E I S U B procedure and it returned to life, just like always.

Back in business with my ASUS TP500L

oh boy, feels like Christmas....
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:11 am our mail box is the Largest Rural size made, and has an inner Locking Door with a drop slot that has a shelf behind it to prevent clothes hanger thieves from pulling mail out. expensive but well worth it.
Hi AZgl1500,
Do you have any further information about that mailbox?
Sounds like that might be my huckleberry
oh yeah,
+1 on your born again laptop :)
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

all41 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:21 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:11 am our mail box is the Largest Rural size made, and has an inner Locking Door with a drop slot that has a shelf behind it to prevent clothes hanger thieves from pulling mail out. expensive but well worth it.
Hi AZgl1500,
Do you have any further information about that mailbox?
Sounds like that might be my huckleberry
oh yeah,
+1 on your born again laptop :)
this is very close to the same one, on ours the keylock is at the top of the inner door,

can't remember if we bought it from Lowes or Home Depot, but one of those farmer boys got our money :mrgreen:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Postal-Pro-Rem ... /999945730
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:56 am I live in a Rural Area and don't want to broadcast my absence.
Put in some security cameras.
Yes, security cameras, tied to a row of Gatling guns. Or install a flock of geese.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:00 am a shame, I had just finished not 3 days ago, installing a brand new Tactile Feel keyboard, a new 500 gB SSD and 8 gB of DDR3 RAM which probably won't fit another laptop.... :evil:
I'd be checking for dislodged connections.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

catweazel wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:02 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:00 am a shame, I had just finished not 3 days ago, installing a brand new Tactile Feel keyboard, a new 500 gB SSD and 8 gB of DDR3 RAM which probably won't fit another laptop.... :evil:
I'd be checking for dislodged connections.
I found where the battery pack was punctured, the laptop is now repaired with the New Battery Pack.
All is well in Laptop Land again :D

was just updating this thread from when it original died and was hoping a new battery pack would fix it, which it did.

Mailbox:
We really enjoy having this security type box, it stopped the pilfering of incoming checks and other "lost mail".
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Good to hear your success story.
It might be prudent to investigate a spare machine. You can usually pick up an ex Govt Lappy at auction fairly cheaply,
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:29 am Good to hear your success story.
It might be prudent to investigate a spare machine. You can usually pick up an ex Govt Lappy at auction fairly cheaply,
I have two, a Dell N5010 and a much older ACER Aspire 32bit WinXP laptop now w/Mint Mate on it.

just ordered up a 500gB SSD for the Dell N5010, it has a very slow HDD in it that just irks me...

and my old mainstay is a Gateway desktop with Win7 on it that is still very fast considering it has a 1TB HDD and 6gB RAM.
just don't like using it any more, requires that I sit at the office desk, not near as comfy as my recliner and a laptop. :lol:
if there were some Linux replacements for some of the applications on it, it would be Linux also.... but there aren't.

Return to “Open Chat”