"A" Solution to "The Alcohol Problem"

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Captain Brillo

"A" Solution to "The Alcohol Problem"

Post by Captain Brillo »

What? Another one? Yes.

I have an idea; but I don't write "letters-to-the-editor", or write for a living, or blog, or even have a Facebook account.
But, to me the idea is kind of a no-brainer, so I want to plant a seed and see what grows, or dies.

First, my "solution" only applies to physical damage from alcohol use/abuse, not the carry-over social issues:

We need to remember that alcohol itself is not directly harmful. It's the by-product of our liver's metabolizing our drink that is messing with us. It's as if the Martini took a dump on the way through, and if we don't get rid of that crap, well....

So:
Why not add to the equation? (alcohol + liver = acetaldehyde + more garbage) Somewhere in the process, (at the booze producer level or even a "hangover-pill") include something like another enzyme, or "antidote" if you will, that disposes of this toxin left behind. Our knowledge of alcohol metabolization is pretty good so should this be that hard to work out?

It seems simple, to me. But, I know, not at all easy. But is anybody, anywhere, who is qualified/capable doing this kind of research? And, like I said, this will only get rid of things like cirrhosis. Is that not good enough?

The booze industry would certainly be behind it. I sure am. Comments?
Last edited by SMG on Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locking old topic to prevent its revival.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: "A" Solution to "The Alcohol Problem"

Post by Portreve »

For those who actually have addiction problems, it looks like the Sinclair Method might actually be worthwhile.

As I don't suffer from addictions myself, I can only repeat what others have said, so I'll leave it to those who wish to do research and further their own knowledge in such matters. I'd rather people go to primary sources who are actually authoritative, rather than a secondary source, such as myself, who only has a passing knowledge of such matters.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Having inherited a addictive personality, alcohol became a problem for me at a very young age. I have no one to blame but myself, "JUST SAY NO". Having been abstinent for 8+ years, I can say that the liver may be the predominant organ that people talk about, but the brain takes a beating as well. Never mind the outer body suffering the physical abuse from all the 'fun' one has while intoxicated.

Alcoholism was something that I would never have kicked without the help of others and a good program. I was a binge drinker, paydays and holidays. I could never drink alone or at home for that matter. Something that stuck with me, "one is too many and a million is not enough".

There is lots of help out there for people if they feel the need to quit and the support groups are plentiful. It is hard but it is doable.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

I'm all for the magic hangover pill myself. Because life without alcohol? Perish the thought!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Wanting to get wasted all day isn't harmful? I think matbe someone is looking for an enabler.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

dude if you have a problem please by all means address it and you will get support no matter where you are. but you coming out here insulting alcohol and drugs which through no will of their own have become demonized and persecuted as if they started all this, is just lazy.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

trytip wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 am dude if you have a problem please by all means address it and you will get support no matter where you are. but you coming out here insulting alcohol and drugs which through no will of their own have become demonized and persecuted as if they started all this, is just lazy.
Yeah...poor methamphetamine...it gets such a bad rap....
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

MartyMint wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 am
trytip wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 am dude if you have a problem please by all means address it and you will get support no matter where you are. but you coming out here insulting alcohol and drugs which through no will of their own have become demonized and persecuted as if they started all this, is just lazy.
Yeah...poor methamphetamine...it gets such a bad rap....
hey now, meth is the same as lead, you leave it alone it will leave you alone. but you get any of these in your blood then you are the idiot not the methlead
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I should try CBD oil but will discuss it with the pain clinician first. I'm on prescription tramadol along with other things for damaged abdominal nerve endings and have been for a few years. While they still work okay, if CBD can replace some of them without causing any side effects that affect my work I'm all for trying it. Opioid addiction is as prolific these days as alcohol, I am not addicted since I have the self control and sense required not to take any more than prescribed to me. The long term usage bothers me more though but if I stop taking it, the pain returns after 4-5 hours so I know I still need something to combat it.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

kelevra wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:51 pmHaving inherited a addictive personality, alcohol became a problem for me at a very young age. I have no one to blame but myself, "JUST SAY NO".
Alcohol and tobacco are probably among the most addictive substances. I have seen alcohol destroy lives and families and I have seen tobacco destroy people physically.

I believe all addictive substances affect different people differently. Some people become more addicted than others and some, very few, not at all. But it is a physical addiction and personality is only a secondary factor.

The notion that "I have no one to blame but myself" might be somewhat useful in trying to keep people away from addictive substances but I do not believe it is entirely true or useful. People do things for a variety of reasons and mostly for complex psychological reasons. This is specially true of the very young. Persons are not objective judges of what is good or bad and are also terrible at assessing risk. Most people do not have the judgment to decide about risky or dangerous things and this applies tenfold to young people.

Alcohol, tobacco, drunk driving, wife beating, etc. were objectively known to be bad things but they did not really become "bad" until they became socially bad and that is/was achieved through endless repetition and social pressure. If your social circle is tolerant and engaging in certain behavior and specially if you are very young then you are likely to do things which you would not have done in a different social circle.

We need to recognize that young people are very easy to influence and it is better to influence them into making the right choices than to give them complete freedom and later blame them for making the wrong choices.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

antikythera wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:43 am I should try CBD oil but will discuss it with the pain clinician first. I'm on prescription tramadol along with other things for damaged abdominal nerve endings and have been for a few years. While they still work okay, if CBD can replace some of them without causing any side effects that affect my work I'm all for trying it. Opioid addiction is as prolific these days as alcohol, I am not addicted since I have the self control and sense required not to take any more than prescribed to me. The long term usage bothers me more though but if I stop taking it, the pain returns after 4-5 hours so I know I still need something to combat it.
i know first hand the side effects of being on tramadol long term and then stopping. if you take this drug and you do not have any damaged nerves or pain beyond 5 on scale of 10 daily, then you are creating pain where there was none. i had mouth surgery in early 90's jaw broken in four. had my mouth wired shut for three months, took about a year to get used to the fact that now i have to live with a metal jaw and left over screws that were not removed when the wire was.
now if i have the slightest ice cream or hot beverage and it hits my nerves that were damaged and sewn up as best doctors could, i get a shrieking pain as if a lightning bolt made of tiny needles shooting up my mouth into my ears and eyes. i have learned to live with this as best i could, but there are those days when nothing seems to go right from the start and having a constant throbbing stinging pain on one side of your face throughout the day and then running over into the next day is enough to make a grown man cry.
when you add this to preexisting conditions it's difficult to manage.

you should definitely try some CBD, but finding the right one for you is like finding a needle in a needle stack. also there are many manufacturers and who even knows how to buy the correct cbd product that will help you. one day i walked into a 7-eleven and where they sell masks they had a line of CBD products expensive if you ask me at 10 dollars for a tiny vile. would i trust a bottle of cbd bought from 7-eleven? is this medicinal or recreational? hard to know when you're being taken advantage of or when someone is selling the right quantity to quality ratio.

i wish you well and hope you find some relief other than tramadol or other opioids
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Thanks, you too. I hope the CBD keeps working okay.

I'm not going to rush out and buy some unregulated bottle from a retail store. There may not be something strong enough anyway but I will investigate this option, given what else I'm taking they may interact badly anyway.

The only other option would be a surgical procedure to cut the nerve which could leave me with partial or complete paralysis below my chest.

At least I can live a relatively active life with my family, a crap night's sleep and some very uncomfortable days wearing dress trousers where I'm about ready to climb the walls at times are the trade off for living an extra 23 years already I'm willing to accept.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Maybe Rehab and this...Image Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I've got some CBD recommended by the pain clinic since I managed to get a telephone consult via my GP organising it.

I am trying it out at the moment and although it tastes bloody disgusting under my tongue when dropped there it's quite potent regulated stuff from a registered pharmaceutical supplier I get other things from. It's not cheap as a one off but if it works I don't mind paying for a more regular supply which brings the price down a bit too.

The taste is due to it not being flavoured I guess. There was a Mint option but I went for the normal unflavoured olive oil based one :roll:

I'll need to figure out the dosage though. They recommended starting low and increasing it until the pain subsides. I'm on 3 drops twice a day and it's almost getting there, so maybe 4 will do it. I do like how fast it works though.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I quit drinking when I quit smoking because drinking makes me crave a smoke and drinking also weakens my will power and judgement about stupid things like smoking. Now when I want a nice relaxing substance I smoke some pot. It is relaxing, a good pain killer and no icky side effects like drinking has.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

InkKnife wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:18 pm Now when I want a nice relaxing substance I smoke some pot. It is relaxing, a good pain killer and no icky side effects like drinking has.
Gives you cancer, though. Tar, just like tobacco. All smoke kills. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:25 pm
InkKnife wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:18 pm Now when I want a nice relaxing substance I smoke some pot. It is relaxing, a good pain killer and no icky side effects like drinking has.
Your assertion is not supported by research. As a matter of fact there is some evidence that smoking pot might actually lower your chances of getting lung cancer.
Pot would have to be very toxic for the 2 or 3 puffs I smoke a day to cause any harm in any case.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

InkKnife wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:35 pm
Your assertion is not supported by research. As a matter of fact there is some evidence that smoking pot might actually lower your chances of getting lung cancer.
Pot would have to be very toxic for the 2 or 3 puffs I smoke a day to cause any harm in any case.
Ditto.
...and I'm not even a pot smoker.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

InkKnife wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:35 pm
Pjotr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:25 pm
Sorry mate, but there is ample research support:
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/ ... ung-health
InkKnife wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:35 pm Pot would have to be very toxic for the 2 or 3 puffs I smoke a day to cause any harm in any case.
That's true. Nevertheless, other ways of getting the THC into your body are probably safer (like food or beverage). Just sayin'. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Open Chat”