At the Mercy of the local WiFi police

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: At the Mercy of the local WiFi police

Post by AZgl1800 »

killer de bug wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:15 am I am vacationing in the Colorado Springs, Colorado mountain area. [...]
The WiFi access is pissing off quite a few of the folks
Who needs Internet while in vacations? Cut off the link, it's good from time to time.
I have several forums that I watch and a lot of good friends, post up pictures of where we've been, etc...

but, no pix from this hole in the mountain, we won't be back.

My cellphone has received exactly two calls, and those were a real accident of nature it seems as most of the time, the signal meter reads zero.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AZg...im just due south of you in Alamogordo NM right now and have been to the mountains where you are at in Colorado Springs...the web access there is bare minimum at best as those who are paying/providing the internet access are buying only the base package of their provider...perhaps you could explain to the management that they could talk to "Hughes.net satellite svc. which promises 25 mps access to be their provider in that area...but i should add that being on vacation, the last thing i would want to be doing in such a beautiful area as Colorado Springs, is being online...lol...DAMIEN
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:20 pmbut, no pix from this hole in the mountain, we won't be back.

My cellphone has received exactly two calls, and those were a real accident of nature it seems as most of the time, the signal meter reads zero.
That looks like the kind of place where I would enjoy my vacations. Provided the food is good of course. :wink:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have been finding the most wonderful foods.

Google "the coffee den" in penrose, colorado
nah, here it is http://www.coyotescoffeeden.com/

i have pictures but of course not enough bandwidth to upload them.

Yesterday I ordered up a "full size" bicuits with sausage gravey. back home that means 2 bicuits on a paper plate and almost enough gravy to cover the biscuits.

to my surprise, I got a 12 inch platter with 6 full sized biscuits and the whole platter covered in gravy....
um, good it was.... and "I ate the whole thang" :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

If I get 5Mbs at home, I'd be in 7th heaven! On average 2-3 is my best. Can't wait to get NBN which will most likely be wireless anyway. And we are only 100Km from the GPO in the capital city of our state.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:47 am If I get 5Mbs at home, I'd be in 7th heaven! On average 2-3 is my best. Can't wait to get NBN which will most likely be wireless anyway. And we are only 100Km from the GPO in the capital city of our state.
Gee - that's better than over here - - get about half of that.
:(
and I'm even closer to our GPO . . .
:cry:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Left Colorado's mountains in my rear view mirror, stayed overnight at Gunsmoke RV Park in Dodge City, Kansas.

Nice place, we will be back here.

But, the WiFi is a conundrum.... wide open, no codes required, as the owner has us on his ranch and nothing is close enough to him to "borrrow" his WiFi.....

but, with 40 campers pulled in here, at 6 PM the available bandwidth is almost non-existant.

So, I turned on my Verizon MiFi and just went on doing what I enjoy..... by avoiding videos and large images, we do pretty good and never go over our 4 gB/month plan.... with roll over, we started the month with 7.5 gB for our travels this past two weeks.... still at 70% left so good to go.

Just one more night out on the road and we will be home to unlimited again, at the rip roaring speeds of 10 mbps :mrgreen:

I wish I could afford ViaSat, they show that they can provide 100 mbps with top speeds of 150 mbps during the quieter hours. But, at $200/month that is a luxury I can't afford.

here is the "Free WiFi from Gunsmoke RV Park" I waited 2 full minutes for it to connect.

and here is my Verizon cell service MiFi which hooked up immediately

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi all, hi AZg...ViaSat is 200 per month?...WOW...i pay 54.95 per month for internet plus phone included from my cable company and consistantly get between 60 to 65 mbps download speed...plenty fast for everything i do here...(4 different computers and 2 roku boxes) with no cap limits...i guess i should consider myself blessed when i see other folks speeds that are posted here...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:51 pm hi all, hi AZg...ViaSat is 200 per month?...WOW...i pay 54.95 per month for internet plus phone included from my cable company and consistantly get between 60 to 65 mbps download speed...plenty fast for everything i do here...(4 different computers and 2 roku boxes) with no cap limits...i guess i should consider myself blessed when i see other folks speeds that are posted here...DAMIEN
I might have alluded that was their only plan, it is not, I will try to find their home page, I'm not at home, on vacation rambling around with my travel trailer and bike.

https://i.imgur.com/kYDdHso.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J8RGUkx.jpg

this is their Home page, they might have coverage in your own area,

I am in 74053

https://www.exede.com/plan-results/internet-plans/

this page details what rates are available to me, from 12 mbps to 100 mpbs and rate from $50/month to $150/month intro rates for first 3 months, then they increase a bit, see the full page.

https://www.exede.com/plan-results/plat100/
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I have Viasat. Here is all the asterisks. You will never see 12mbps. Upto does not mean will. Unlimited is only from 3-6 am. Once data is used up, you get kicked to neuternet. Which is around 4-10kbps. Welcome to having few to no choices in rural connections.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

WOW...looked up the website and found that even with the lowest plans that the ViaSat prices are outrageous, almost double what i pay for much, much less service speed than i get now...i know some folks up in the hills of La Luz NM using hughesnet.com which is also a satcom available nationwide with much better rates for roughly the same type of service offered by ViaSat, or so they say...DAMIEN

https://www.hughesnet.com/
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:34 pm WOW...looked up the website and found that even with the lowest plans that the ViaSat prices are outrageous, almost double what i pay for much, much less service speed than i get now...i know some folks up in the hills of La Luz NM using hughesnet.com which is also a satcom available nationwide with much better rates for roughly the same type of service offered by ViaSat, or so they say...DAMIEN

https://www.hughesnet.com/
My aunt down in Kingston, Oklahoma got sucked into https://www.hughesnet.com/
and on the 2nd day she had it, tried to get it canceled.
it was the worst experience she has ever had.

she quit using it, and bought a Verizon MiFi adapter, which I also have and use when away from home.

so, Hughesnet is not an option for me, ever.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I just had a look at the Hughesnet site out of interest. As I'm not in the US I picked a location which should be well served by Broadband providers and found the prices are significantly higher than the near-equivalent "Unlimited" offers we have here in the UK .. and also have a crippling "soft" cap if you go over your allowance, stated as "typically 1-3Mbps". :o

What are cable or ADSL services like in the US, price & speed-wise? I don't know much about the infrastructure there.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

BG405 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:55 pm I just had a look at the Hughesnet site out of interest. As I'm not in the US I picked a location which should be well served by Broadband providers and found the prices are significantly higher than the near-equivalent "Unlimited" offers we have here in the UK .. and also have a crippling "soft" cap if you go over your allowance, stated as "typically 1-3Mbps". :o

What are cable or ADSL services like in the US, price & speed-wise? I don't know much about the infrastructure there.
Cox Cable is what I would prefer, IF, they were in my area.
I used to have them in Phoenix, Arizona prior to 2011 when I moved here to 74053 Oklahoma.
at that time, I was getting 50 mbps down, don't recall the upload speed...
https://www.cabletv.com/cox/internet

I am currently in a very rural environment and extremely lucky to be just barely in reach of DSL with AT&T.... giving me 10 mbps down, and 0.9 mbps up... so far, no caps on use. that is costing me

www.att.net
Plan:
AT&T Internet 12
Up to 12 Mbps download
Total monthly Internet cost $59.00*

*Any applicable credits, taxes, and fees will appear on your next bill.

Cox cable is literally a bargain, IF, it were even available to me:

Summary Pricing for Cox Internet Plans
Package Download Speeds Up to Upload Speeds Up to Introductory Price
Cox Internet Essential 30 30 Mbps 3 Mbps $39.99/mo.*
Cox Internet Preferred 100 100 Mbps 10 Mbps $59.99/mo.*
Cox Internet Ultimate 300 Mbps 30 Mbps $79.99/mo.*
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:22 pm Plan:
AT&T Internet 12
Up to 12 Mbps download
Total monthly Internet cost $59.00*
Thanks for that & the Cox plans. The one you're on has similar speeds to what I'm getting but is considerably more expensive, so I feel your pain. those from Cox look pretty good to me, not far off UK prices.

In the UK we do have a few EXPENSIVE providers; those tend to get used where nothing else is available & their plans tend to have usage caps, so this "superfast" advertising cobblers doesn't mean much if it's possible to use the whole monthly allowance in about 8 hours. :?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, my home ISP is Comcast. With them I'm getting 25MB down with no cap, and with taxes I think I pay about $61 (~ €52) a month. I had CenturyLink (DSL) for a year, and otherwise I've always had cable Internet here at my house.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:50 pm Well, my home ISP is Comcast. With them I'm getting 25MB down with no cap, and with taxes I think I pay about $61 (~ €52) a month. I had CenturyLink (DSL) for a year, and otherwise I've always had cable Internet here at my house.
Thanks for that (I don't usually quote a whole post) it helps to know what is available elsewhere; we in the UK were still in the dark ages WRT broadband until about Y2000 when I had a 600Kb/s cable connection, luxury after years of dial-up with all the line drops and (usually manual) reconnections. Can't remember what it cost but wasn't very expensive. By the time I ditched that provider, for financial reasons, following numerous price rises, I was getting around 20Mb/s. By then the bill was around fifty quid per month.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 pm I have a Universal charger from Best Buy "guaranteed" to work, but Dell does not recognize it as a valid charger, and posts a message that the System Speed will be reduced to prevent harm.
Dell laptops are notorious for this problem. It seems there is SMBUS signalling between the power supply unit and the computer and if that fails the PSU is not recognized. This can be due to bad connection of the signaling line or other causes. Have a look at this page for more information on this issue.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

GS3 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:44 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 pm I have a Universal charger from Best Buy "guaranteed" to work, but Dell does not recognize it as a valid charger, and posts a message that the System Speed will be reduced to prevent harm.
Dell laptops are notorious for this problem. It seems there is SMBUS signalling between the power supply unit and the computer and if that fails the PSU is not recognized. This can be due to bad connection of the signaling line or other causes. Have a look at this page for more information on this issue.
Thank you for that link, read all of it, and it verified my own thoughts on the issue.
the vendor claims that if I will call them at their 800 number, and report that their PSU will not work with my Dell N5010 that they will provide me a proper adapter for free.

I need to do that, and I have noticed that the 65w PSU that I was able to purchase isn't quite up to the job.
the Dell says it is okay, is not complaining, but I can tell it is not running at full speed.

one thing about the Dell N5010, that is the hottest cpu brick package I have ever run across.
if you block any of the vents, it gets HOT now! we have a dual fan shelf, but I hate that thing, it elevates the laptop up about 1.5 inches and makes it uncomfortable to use. Plus the laptop slides off the fan shelf if you even look at it cross-eyed.

love my little ASUS TP500L since I installed the SSD. it runs stone cold and is faster than greased lightning.
just right for us Recliner guys who lay it in our laps.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

AZgl1500, be aware that there is a possibility the problem is not with the PSU but with the laptop itself. I have seen more than one case where the power connector on the motherboard was not making good contact. The two power connections, + and -, were OK but the central signalling pin was either bent or damaged or plain not making good contact with the solder on the motherboard. In such a case changing PSU will not solve the problem.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.

Return to “Open Chat”