Cashless Society is getting closer

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Cashless Society is getting closer

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi folks...dont know about you but i absolutely recoil over the thought of a cashless society...(I always use cash only when food shopping or otherwise...never use my bankcard except to withdraw cash needed from bank)...this would mean that all transactions would occur electronically...this means that whoever controls and/or monitors these things will know everything you purchase from tampons, preparation H, alcohol cigarettes, toilet paper, depends, personal care items, etc...needless to say that insurance companies, as well as a plethora of other info gathering vacuum cleaners will know even more than they already do know...today i ran across the link provided below, that mentions that Microsoft may be collaborating with the worlds largest retailer, Walmart, in totally eliminating cashiers and checkouts altogether...you will eventually as time marches on, no longer be able to buy or sell unless you do so electronically...this was long ago predicted and is coming closer to reality...this will ensure that the common people will no longer be in complete control of their own currency and personal resources as all others will of course follow the lead that can and will lead to a common world economy based on a world electronic currency system if brought to its final, logical conclusion...enjoy the article and looking forward to the always great comments from you folks on the forum...DAMIEN

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/06 ... out-lines/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Cashless Society is getting closer

Post by AZgl1800 »

sorry charlie,

but I never use cash unless absolutely necessary.

I don't give a rat's ass who knows what I buy.

been doing it ever since Debit cards arrived on the scene, allows me to download everything and it goes into a tally book electronically.

hate receipts with a passion.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Unless legal tender is eliminated I seriously doubt a cashless society is possible, and it is not possible to eliminate legal tender in an advanced economy.

There are times when cash is not just a way to pay for something, it is the only way to make a transaction.

I have lived most of my life in hurricane preparedness zones; experience has taught me one thing a sensible person does in the days leading up to a storm is to get a wad of cash with nothing larger than a $20. Another is to make sure you have a working manual can opener.

There are a lot of things that do not work during a power outage - credit cards and electric can openers are just two examples, and a minor inconvenience becomes a major obstacle when the power outage extends to two or three days.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I appreciate the disaster zones, but having lived all of my life in the desert arid Southwest USA, the worst things that we get are Tornadoes that will strip anything within its' path down to concrete or dirt.

I lived through one of those in 1964 at Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls, Texas.
1 mile wide swath and 11+ miles long..... everything not made of conrete disappeared.

me and my air farce buddies walked miles and miles looking for Classified Materials that came from the school dorms that used to be old aircraft hangers. those also gone.

have gone through some Brown Outs that lasted a couple days, nothing like where hurricanes go thru and leave power outages measuring months in some cases.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.retailcustomerexperience.co ... ges-ahead/ (Why retail cashierless checkout, a.k.a. Amazon Go, faces more than a few challenges ahead)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Some thoughts on going cashierless...

Shrink will almost certainly increase unless a much heavier human presence is put on the sales floor. After all, if you walk into a store, you could drink and eat your way through a bunch of merchandise and never actually scan it or put it in a cart. At that point, what's the store going to do? You can't get charged for it if it isn't actually linked to you in some fashion.

There are large segments of the population which do not have bank accounts, or do not have smart phones, etc. They don't have these things generally because they're too poor to have them, too ill of mental health to have or maintain them, or simply just prefer a more rustic living experience and just won't bother.

The effort to set up more so-called "watering holes" to acquire some form of electronic data on someone to forge their own entrance and exit into these sorts of facilities will almost certainly increase.

Walmart's participation in this makes total sense to me. They have responded to various market forces and repeated public embarrassments by raising their wages significantly. However, they have done this and made efforts to try and thin out their usually near-skeleton-crew operations. Knowing they can eliminate an entire department of employees (i.e. cashiers) means they will have fewer people to have to pay wages to. What would really help further this ambition of theirs (and, frankly, other retailers) would in my view then be to set up store configurations kind of like the post office box areas of post offices, where you have a rear area of the store with equipment (and personnel, but eventually just robotize the whole thing) and then rear-load all of the shelves as the inventory levels deplete. This way, you can continue to feed inventory to "the floor" without the logistical hurdles of equipment vs. customers, and if they did the Amazon Go thing, one could quite conceivably walk into a Walmart with nearly no employees at all. At that rate, it wouldn't matter if Walmart paid $15 or $20 as a starting wage: there would be just a few people on site collecting it!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I myself prefer using cash for day to day transactions as it is easier to keep track of spending.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Cashless dude here. I get back around 500 to 600 a year from Discover :oops:
lexon

Post by lexon »

Dream on. Many places, I use cash or a check because they get charged for me using a debit or credit card. My mechanic. dentist, car insurance company, bicycle company, places that request it, etc, small businesses.

L
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Up until our petrol station burnt down, the only way you could get fuel in our town was to use cash. There are still a few stores here that do not take plastic. Cash makes it far easier to stay within budget when you are out shopping.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I guess someday it might come to pass but hard to see it in the near future. I know a guy who keeps $10,000 in cash in his gun safe - "just in case" Oh and a few weeks ago my favorite gas station had a hand made signs on the pumps "Cash Only" the electronic pay system was down. But there was a day when there were no emails, cell phones and credit cards so predicting a cashless society is no more far fetched than those who predicted space travel or predict autonomous driving cars.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

There are plenty of people who value cash enough to keep using by choice even if it is for small purchases.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 pm...this means that whoever controls and/or monitors these things will know everything you purchase from tampons, preparation H, alcohol cigarettes, toilet paper, depends, personal care items, etc...
...that Microsoft may be collaborating with the worlds largest retailer, Walmart, in totally eliminating cashiers and checkouts altogether...you will eventually as time marches on, no longer be able to buy or sell unless you do so electronically...
...well, Gates is No2 richest person worldwide (90 billion $)...Bezos from Amazon is No1 (112 billion $),
and the Walton family members No14, No15 & No16 respectively (145 billion $ collectively...)

...and now you also partially know the masters' eventual plans on how they will ensure their position for the forseeable future -
all heil fully-automated electronic surveill...ehm, transactions i meant :wink:
https://www.retaildive.com/news/cashier ... 8b/507100/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I my country we can pay everywhere offline and online with debet cards (online through a national collective e-commerce payment system supported by all the banks). Very convenient; I don't ever need to use cash. Any businesses that only accept cash I suspect of being scammers, tax dodging frauds, money laundering criminals, or about to go out of business because why else would they not purchase or rent a pay terminal? With banks here now also offering mobile apps to easily transfer money to friends and family for shared bills we're finally making steps to catch up with places like Africa that are leading the world in mobile money.

Banks here are held to higher standards. While they may (or even must) use the payment data for prevention of fraud, money laundering or funding of terrorism, no third party may have any (commercial) advantage from the use of customer or payment data without explicit consent on case-by-case basis of the customer.

My supermarket has self checkout where I don't need to stand in line but can just pay the products with debet card and go. I scan the products myself at the self checkout register with its builtin scanner or while putting products in the shopping cart with its handheld scanner. Most stores here have loyalty cards that give shoppers a discount. Through these stores already know who is buying what.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi zenopeek...it seems that via your posting, you have somewhat confirmed the point i was trying to make here...in your country, this has already progressed to the point where use of cash is already suspect and most everything there is now already electronic transfer of funds for most purchases...how much longer can it possibly be for the rest of the world to "catch up"?...

zenopeek says..."these stores already know who is buying what."...so will the banks as well as any entity governed by them and over them as well as all others...

when it comes to privacy, most of us already know that microsoft, facebook, google, twitter, instagram, or whatever are always violating our privacy...those of us who desire our privacy have already taken measures against this by eliminating google, facebook, microsoft, twitter, instagram, etc. from our linux systems or never using them in the first place as i have done as well as using "stupid" cell phones verses "smart" phones...we also use devices such as ublock origin, privacy badger, disconnect for facebook, minerblock, no google analytics, etc...but now with the prospect of a possible cashless society where every purchase may soon be via electronic funds only, that will be an invasion of privacy that we cannot opt out of and will be out of our personal control...all hail big brother...he/she knows whats best for all of us...you will not be able to buy or sell unless we do it the big brother way, coming soon to a "theater" near you...lol...DAMIEN
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Neither Governments or Corporations can be trusted and shouldn't be.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

We have strong privacy laws that require banks (or any organization) to make public what information about their customers they process and for what legitimate purpose --- what information about their customers is stored, for how long and why — and what information about their customers is shared with whom for what legitimate purpose. Besides that all bank directors and employees here are required to take an oath indicating that they will act with integrity and professionalism and that they will put the interests of customers first.

I don't see cashless society as being the problem. If at your end the banking sector and/or government aren't putting in place protection of customers' rights, that is the problem. Ultimately that's both down to the people; what banks and representatives they give their trust or vote.
Resistor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Resistor »

Please pardon my brief appearance in this thread, to make you aware of something you may not be aware of.

We are in a pivotal moment in history.

Who owns the money in your bank account.?
Not you. The bank owns it. By law.
You are an UnSecured Creditor.

It is all fiat currency, with a 100% failure rate, throughout history.

The implications are staggering...

For a start on our problems, see the book 'The Creature from Jekyll Island', by G. Edward Griffin. He is still alive.

The quintessential treatise on economics. Cussed and discussed by all from notable politicians to academicians to laypersons. Do you want to know the truth about money? Creature from Jekyll Island will give you the answers to these, and other, questions: Where does money come from? Where does it go? Who makes it? The money magicians' secrets are unveiled.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/664 ... yll_Island
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. - Win 10 Inhibited. Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti. LM 19.3 Cinnamon x2
Asus VivoBook F512FA-AB34, 8 GB Ram, Kernel 5.3.0-45-generic, i3-8145U. No Win10.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:29 pm Any businesses that only accept cash I suspect of being scammers, tax dodging frauds, money laundering criminals, or about to go out of business because why else would they not purchase or rent a pay terminal?
That's funny. :) In my part of the world it's not uncommon for cash-only, particularly in rural areas.
Out of curiousity, do you have garage sales in your part of the world? If so, are they cash-only? Generally the ones I've seen are, though some also accept cheques.

Having lived through a tornado in my home town, and also seeing Harvey last year while in the States, I don't like to be without some cash. If the power goes out for an extended period, there's no other way to pay (except the clerk trusting that you'll come back later to pay).
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Fred Barclay wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:02 pm
xenopeek wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:29 pm Any businesses that only accept cash I suspect of being scammers, tax dodging frauds, money laundering criminals, or about to go out of business because why else would they not purchase or rent a pay terminal?
That's funny. :) In my part of the world it's not uncommon for cash-only, particularly in rural areas.
Out of curiousity, do you have garage sales in your part of the world? If so, are they cash-only? Generally the ones I've seen are, though some also accept cheques.

Having lived through a tornado in my home town, and also seeing Harvey last year while in the States, I don't like to be without some cash. If the power goes out for an extended period, there's no other way to pay (except the clerk trusting that you'll come back later to pay).
This is a really good reason to keep cash around. OP, you do you really trust corporations and governments?

Return to “Open Chat”