Any negative ramifications for using multiple-Google-account sign-in setup?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Any negative ramifications for using multiple-Google-account sign-in setup?

Post by pepperminty »

On a desktop/laptop browser, I can add multiple Google Accounts for easy switching back and forth.
multiple_google_accounts.png
Does using this multiiple-account setup have negative ramifications? For example:
1. Will Google now know that one individual owns mulitple accounts?
2. Will Google use that knowledge in a way that may negatively affect us?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Any negative ramifications for using multiple-Google-account sign-in setup?

Post by xenopeek »

As such social websites keep track of relationships (who you interact with online and offline) I think it's safe to assume any information you wittingly, or unwittingly, volunteer to such social websites will be added by them to your tracking profile. That's how they make their money after all.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

pepperminty wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:59 pm On a desktop/laptop browser, I can add multiple Google Accounts for easy switching back and forth.

Does using this multiiple-account setup have negative ramifications? For example:
1. Will Google now know that one individual owns mulitple accounts?
2. Will Google use that knowledge in a way that may negatively affect us?
As far as I know, Google doesn't associate the multiple accounts to one individual. I have two accounts, and have not had any "ramifications".
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

If the only downside is ads, I don't mind.

Actually, can someone confirm that this multilple-account thingy is just on our browser, and not something that Google knows?
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

I have more than two. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Almost anything you do in your browser while logged in to Google will be known to Google. Even most things you do while logged out...
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have noticed recently Google telling me to manage my privacy by signing in. I might have been born in the dark but it was not last night.
All I use is Google mail. Google is another privacy thief like Facebook.
I use Google search for a home page and they keep trying to get me to sign up. No Fxxxx way.
The News page is crap about the past year if you know what I mean.
I clear ALL Internet stuff every time I close FF browser, maybe a dozen times a day. Clear all Internet stuff, cookies, History, etc. Never keep third party cookies, whatever they are.

L
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

If you use different name variations (initials, nickname, etc) how would they know they are all the same person and not just different people in the household with the same IP address? I don't use gmail as my main email, but to take advantage of some Google services.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

kenetics wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:18 am If you use different name variations (initials, nickname, etc) how would they know they are all the same person and not just different people in the household with the same IP address?
They can recognise the device because of browser fingerprinting.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

lexon wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:44 am All I use is Google mail. Google is another privacy thief like Facebook.
So they are, but apparently you're happy to give them information, so I'm not sure why you are complaining. :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Moem wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:54 am
kenetics wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:18 am If you use different name variations (initials, nickname, etc) how would they know they are all the same person and not just different people in the household with the same IP address?
They can recognise the device because of browser fingerprinting.
They wouldn't know if you were sharing a computer. Regardless, they probably wouldn't care.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It wasn't the question as to whether Google would "care". The questions were whether Google would know and if so if that knowledge would negatively affect the user. The former is answered. As to the latter, only OP themselves can answer that.

If you don't want it possible for the identities to be linked by anyone then it's a problem. Otherwise you just get more targeted ads and that will be the extent of it.

Unless you're using paid Google services (like AdWords) are planning to not pay your bills on the one account, in which case Google may use the knowledge about the other account to get paid.

Return to “Open Chat”