Trying to run Win7 on Win10 VB

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Trying to run Win7 on Win10 VB

Post by AZgl1800 »

Everything looked normal right up until I referenced the Win7_HomePremium_x64.iso file that is used to burn a DVD.

I had assumed that it would also work to do a VB install for Win7.

My sister hates Win10 with a passion, but I just spent 8 days with her and she refuses to even glance at a Linux box.

Her husband is shy of Linux because his "Hummingbird Radar" for finding fish uses a version and he don't like the interface they chose.

so, I backed off pushing Linux on them and suggested that we could install Win7 on VB running on her Win10...

well, I hit a road block, and right now, don't know how to get past it.

I downloaded "WinISO" and let it "convert the win7_iso" to a bootable ISO, or so it said.
that didn't work either, but I did not pay to get the good version, I just downloaded the standard Trial Version.

any suggestions?

Never tried to install a Virtualbox install direct from a DVD, will that work?
Just tried that, it won't work....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Trying to run Win7 on Win10 VB

Post by Pierre »

you may actually have troubles in obtaining an actual win-7 ISO,
unless you have a current / valid Licence Key for it.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7
will work if you have such a key.

you used to be able to get windows ISOs from the Digital River site,
but apparently is no longer an option.

Note if you do a search then watch that those articles are not too old - - no longer valid methods

if you are prepared to pay some $$$ then another option is from eBay . . .
- get a physical disk - - note an electronic key - though - - you've been warned.
:(

actually, there is yet another way:
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/
these pre-made VMs are supposed to be used for you to test out M$ Edge & will Time Out after 90days,
so, you would have to re-install the VM every 90 days, but some folks don't mind doing that. :o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 pmMy sister hates Win10 with a passion, but I just spent 8 days with her and she refuses to even glance at a Linux box.
Then let her suffer. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him (or her) drink.
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 pmHer husband is shy of Linux because his "Hummingbird Radar" for finding fish uses a version and he don't like the interface they chose.
What a bozo. It's a pretty safe bet that Linus Torvalds didn't personally write the user interface. Yes, the device runs the Linux operating system, but it also includes OpenSLP software, which is copyright 2000 Caldera Systems, Inc.; libxml++, GPL 2 license; libxml12, Copyright © 1998-2003 Daniel Veillard (The MIT License); Macho (C++ Machine Objects) Copyright © 2005 by Eduard Hiti (The MIT License); and Qt, (GNU General Public License version 3 and GNU Lesser General Public License version 2). Maybe those other individuals or organizations are responsible for the user interface he doesn't like, or far more likely, Humminbird is responsible for the user interface he doesn't like.

You can get a VM image of Win7 (and others) here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Perhaps this should be moved to a different forum? It does not seem to have anything to do with Mint or software & applications!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I forgot to mention that I have licensed ISO copies, and I have a Microsoft DVD

I'm a bit slow this week, been under the weather.

what I don't understand is that the same ISO files worked on my Linux 18.3 Cinnamon laptop when I tried them out there, just to see if it would work. both XP and Win7 installed like they should.

I just don't know why now that I am doing the same thing on my Win7 PC so that I can create a pictorial overlay for her hubby to follow, that it does not work?

I came here to ask the questions because most of us are familiar with Windows even though it is not our preference for daily use anymore.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just now did a VB install with Win XP and it worked fine, except it is not seeing my LAN network to the internet.

none of the Win7 ISO files that I have had for years are working today.

Tried to use WinISO to create an ISO file from the Licensed Microsoft DVD and that also comes up with the error:

Fatal Error: No bootable media

I am thinking about just finding a laptop at a pawn store, or elsewhere and send it to them with 18.3 Cinnamon on it.

Put a few icons on the DE for the common things they use and let it go at that.

Return to “Open Chat”