Observations on life

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Observations on life

Post by MurphCID »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:11 am My biggest gripe in San Antonio traffic is the freeway drivers that do not know how to Merge. There method is to get at the end of the entrance ramp and stop to wait for rush hour to end.
No kidding. I often times think that in San Antonio, all that is necessary to get a driver's license is to correctly identify a photograph of a car.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

As a native rural "flatlander", all i can say is everyone in the major cities drives like idiots.I experienced jersey/York area n a tractor trailor with a D7 dozer on the back. People still wanted to play road games lol. Chicago wasnt too bad would have preferred to be in a car. Trips to Maine werent to bad. The only problem with Mass. , is its full of Massholes, who will whip around you at 80mph and honk and go bonkers. "Oh im sorry , im doing the speed limit." LOL. Needless to say being rural folk, I try to avoid the big blue cities. Toledo is not that big and I avoid it like the plague. Columbus is actually decent, when the Buckeyes are playing, its a ghost town.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Right now in S.W. Florida, I'm generally seeing $2.65/gallon, which (h/t xe.com for today's conversion rate) about €0,60/l.

I'm going to try and be as tactful as I can in saying this because politics (and therefore danger) is not far away.

It's my opinion that even though European countries tax things at a much higher rate (fuel here, as an example) the people of those European countries actually get something for their having been taxed. Roads, bridges, and other elements of infrastructure are better or better maintained, education (elementary through post-secondary) in many countries is subsidized, etc.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:34 pm Right now in S.W. Florida, I'm generally seeing $2.65/gallon, which (h/t xe.com for today's conversion rate) about €0,60/l.

I'm going to try and be as tactful as I can in saying this because politics (and therefore danger) is not far away.

It's my opinion that even though European countries tax things at a much higher rate (fuel here, as an example) the people of those European countries actually get something for their having been taxed. Roads, bridges, and other elements of infrastructure are better or better maintained, education (elementary through post-secondary) in many countries is subsidized, etc.
I agree with you somewhat, Portreve. Increased taxes do pay off in the long run, but only if done properly.

I live in Rhode Island and we started a program called RhodeWorks. It's to fix the many bridges, overpasses, and roads that have been crumbling (literally). We just implemented tolling for certain large tractor-trailer trucks only. It's been a huge deal here and the trucking industry is going to fight it. Our "reason" (which our leaders have very little of) for the tolling is that the trucks are the ones that do the most damage of our roads. :roll:

The sad part is that the money has always been there, just never spent properly. We have this dastardly thing called the "General Fund". Almost all income that the state receives goes into that. Another example is the e911 (Enhanced 911) system. We get charged for the e911 system, but not all of the income has been spent for the equipment that we're supposed to have. Please have been put on HOLD when calling into 911! :evil:

I could go on about recent events here, but that requires writing a novel.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi jerry...as you might remember, they dont call RI, "Rogues Island the State of Corruption" for nothing...think "Buddy" Cianci, the former and now late Mayor of Providence RI (we used to have regular dinners at the Blue Grotto on Federal Hill) the twice or thrice convicted felon and yet he was still getting elected as Mayor of Providence despite his felony convictions and lets not forget "Uncle Ray Ray", AKA, Raymond Patriaca, the former and now also the late head of the RI chapter of La Cosa Nostra under the tutelage of the late Gennaro "Jerry" Angiulo, (my aunt married one of his Capos) faction of the La Cosa Nostra of Boston as well as good old Joe Mollicone, (he was my banker as well as also one of my fine dining buddies) of the 1991 collapse of Rhode Island's credit unions fame and closure of all the Rhode Island banks for a week, (something not seen since the Great Depression), while he was a fugitive from justice gambling his stolen, ill gotten gains, in Las Vegas, Nevada, that is until the Feds arrested him there, or also Christopher Hightower of Barrington Ri, where i used to live at the time (we went to the same church) of the infamous crossbow murder spree he went on killing an entire family over a failed, fake business he orchestrated a fraud upon...unfortunately for me, i knew each and everyone of them since we at that time all were in the same social circles...lol...from what your saying, it looks like RI hasnt changed much since i left...lol...the game remains the same...only the players have changed...lol...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:34 pm It's my opinion that even though European countries tax things at a much higher rate (fuel here, as an example) the people of those European countries actually get something for their having been taxed. Roads, bridges, and other elements of infrastructure are better or better maintained, education (elementary through post-secondary) in many countries is subsidized, etc.
Yes, but don't get me started on the yearly wasted tax billions for purposes and on projects that the Dutch politicians *know* are useless, senseless or even downright harmful, but are being spent anyway, because of their almost semi-religious hobbies. :evil:

Furthermore, to the US readers: allow me to apologize for the rude behaviour of my prime minister, during the press conference with your president (the interruption and objection). That was impolite, counterproductive and disrespectful towards a fellow democratically elected head of state. I (and many Dutchmen with me) felt deeply ashamed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

In the Tampa Bay beaches of Florida where I live, It's sometimes called "Ontario South" during the winter. That's alright though, if one can cope with the traffic, those Canadian visitors help keep our taxes low.

I agree with Damien. Boston is the worst driving experience I've ever had the displeasure to participate in. Great place to visit though.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Damien, all those names from the past! You had deep ties to Rhode Island. I'm a transplant from Fall River, MA, and things there aren't too different. It's gone downhill. The 42nd mayor, William Flanagan was recalled for lack of confidence. The mayor now is the youngest mayor at 23 years old. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

You're right, nothing has changed except crime has gotten worse in Providence, and not just the politicians. I feel like I'm in a Godfather movie and I'm one of the extras in it.

Cianci certainly was a character. :roll: If he were still alive and ran for mayor, he'd probably win---again! He tried for governor, but had stiff competition.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Observation on Life: Many people have dual personality.

For example, people would easily dislike the looks or DE of a Linux distro, but they never criticize the looks of the Linux Terminal. :wink:
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

mediclaser wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:05 pm Many people have dual personality.
Quite an understatement, if you ask me :wink:
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Observations on....Modern Life
(by Wandy Aarhol?)
ModenLife.jpg
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Marziano wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:37 pm Observations on....Modern Life
... => Steve Cutts
Appears to also have a promising future ahead of him... :wink:
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

thx-1138 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:24 am Appears to also have a promising future ahead of him... :wink:
Wish we could wish it for the Man as well :(

PS. I find his observations on life on this planet truly accurate which is wonderfully reflected in his great work. What a talented Homo Sapiens :D
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

One thing about life is certain, we all die!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:18 am One thing about life is certain, we all die!
Modern science says not even that is certain, though it turns on what you mean by death.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 am The Amsterdam parking rates are extreme even for Dutch standards, but the Dutch government taxes car ownership(!) and fuel horribly as well.... To give you an idea: for one American gallon of regular gasoline (i.e. 3.79 litres), we pay in the Netherlands currently $ 7.31. And that's the price at cheap tank stations.

Most of that price is taxes, of course.... :evil:
This made me go and have a comparison of fuel costs across Europe and I now feel much better (or less aggrieved) about the fuel costs in the UK, which I had previously assumed were taxed to the max compared to other countries. It looks like prices across the continent have risen to match (or exceed!). :?

Also in the interests of apologizing for governments, can I say that I generally shaking my head while looking at the floor with regards to most things the UK government does...
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:18 am One thing about life is certain, we all die!

Please define "death."
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Please define "death."
Oh! All right! Our body stops breathing and becomes worm food.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 am
Rocky Bennett wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Please define "death."
Is there nothing more?

Life is only short because death lasts a looong time
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

all41 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:47 am
lsemmens wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:42 am
Rocky Bennett wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm Please define "death."
Is there nothing more?
There certainly is, and I can assure you from first-hand experience that being dead turns out to be not dead. Furthermore there is a whole new branch of science emerging on this very fact.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Open Chat”