Grumpy old man maybe

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lmuserx4849

Re: Grumpy old man maybe

Post by lmuserx4849 »

MintBean wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:43 pm Yeah, they're not fans of help vampires on the Arch forums. I don't find their stance unreasonable. If you can't be bothered to attempt some basic research before asking a question, you've no place using a tech enthusiast distro.
Wow. Never heard the term "help vampires" :-) Arch gets a slight pass because they have good documentation which should be read. Their response sort of weeds out users who should probably use another distro that is better designed for them.

I like the stack forums because the best answers are voted to the top, you can tag questions/answers. If it is a duplicate question, it is noted. Although not perfect, it's better. askubuntu is based on stack technology.

With an Internet search, at google, you can click Tools, Any Time, Past Year, which may help some. Some tech topics are more searchable than others.

I read this many years ago, Netiquette Guidelines, and found some useful info on becoming a better communicator.

If the response is, do a google search, are we sure it isn't do a google site search, because the question has been asked before. That's a little bit different. Just go to google and type: site:linuxmint.com SEARCH_WORDS. I purposefully left off the forums part, because sometimes the answer could be in community or blog. duckduckgo.com also has a site search, as well as startpage.com

I've been using the bookmark snippet below for well over a decade. That entire line is in the Location field, and then I add a Keyword. I type the Keyword I added and the SEARCH_WORDS (ie. gsite pulseaudio), so I don't have to leave the website I'm on.

Code: Select all

javascript:location='http://www.google.com/search?num=100&pws=0&q=site:'%20+%20escape(location.hostname)%20+%20'%20%S'%20;%20void%200
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Some forums are like a group of grumpy old men sitting in rocking chairs on the porch and yelling at the kids to get off of their lawn.
Thankfully Mint Forum is not like that :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:28 pm ... like a group of grumpy old men sitting in rocking chairs on the porch and yelling at the kids to get off of their lawn.
I resemble that remark!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

catweazel wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:31 pm
KBD47 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:28 pm ... like a group of grumpy old men sitting in rocking chairs on the porch and yelling at the kids to get off of their lawn.
I resemble that remark!
The older I get, the more I have to resist the temptation to get crotchety :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:48 pm The older I get, the more I have to resist the temptation to get crotchety :)
I'd crochet too but the arthuritis is a problem.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

KBD47 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:28 pm Some forums are like a group of grumpy old men sitting in rocking chairs on the porch and yelling at the kids to get off of their lawn.
Thankfully Mint Forum is not like that :)
Police: "We've traced the source of the annoying newbie question - they're coming from your lawn!"
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

mwbworld wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:24 am
KBD47 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:28 pm Some forums are like a group of grumpy old men sitting in rocking chairs on the porch and yelling at the kids to get off of their lawn.
Police: "We've traced the source of the annoying newbie question - they're coming from your lawn!"
:lol:

I don't have a rocking chair, or a porch, or a lawn .. but if I did, that's likely what I'd be doing. Have been known to yell at the morons in the street for disturbing my lunchtime nap. :x Mind you I also shout and swear at the rude, insulting, condescending **** on the adverts for a certain solicitor firm with the initials GB. And I'm not even that old, yet.

Being grumpy & cantankerous at least helps relieve (or, possibly, pass on :mrgreen: ) the stress & frustration.

Oh, by the way, just had a look at the Arch Forum. There's a member "getoffmalawn" .. anyone we know ..? :lol:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Open Chat”