Another email topic

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Another email topic

Post by andyO »

This has been discussed before, but things change, so...

I've been thinking about my webmail provider recently and have had a look around the various options. Obviously I'm concerned about privacy and security, bearing in mind that if government 'x' decides they want my emails I'm basically screwed no matter which provider I go with... protection from malicious or criminal hacking is definitely worth considering though I reckon.

From my research, I'm coming down to Runbox and Fastmail. I want to like Runbox (Norwegian, hydro power energy) but they don't encrypt your messages on their servers while Fastmail do. What do the wise folk here think about email encryption at rest? Should it be a game maker or not? Or any other providers I should consider?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Another email topic

Post by xenopeek »

I've also written about this before :) I've been with FastMail for a long while and use them for others as well. Very easy to use your own domain names with them, you can set up hundreds of aliases (other email addresses at their or your domains that deliver to your inbox) and identities (fetching/sending email from email accounts you may have with other email providers), you can even host simple websites for free and they are about to enable free, automatic, SSL certificates for those. I'm extremely satisfied with FastMail and their service. Their online help has excellent and detailed guides for just about anything. Any problems or questions I or others had with accounts, billing or other were quickly resolved by the support team. They even implemented a feature request I made.

They have a thorough approach to security https://www.fastmail.com/help/ourservice/security.html. TLS required for all connections to the servers, 2FA for login, no ads / no tracking / "I'm the customer not the product", default blocking of external content like images, content security policy on the website to prevent 3rd party scripts from running, encrypting email in-transit between mail servers, implementing DKIM signing and SPF (also for your own domains) for sender authentication, and of course run the servers with free software. They also actively participate in, and initiate development of, free software and open standards related to email.

There's a lot to like :D
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the thing is - - most Folks are CheapSkates.
:shock: :shock:
that's why they won't won't pay any $$$ to support the Free Linux System,
- that rescued them from Microsoft and it's various products.

and likewise - - they will use a Free VPN and / or a Free eMail service.
if you won't Buy the Product - - then You Are the Product
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Thanks for those responses. It is reassuring to hear your thoughts about Fastmail xenopeek. I hadn't realised their contribution to free software and open standards, something which is worth supporting.

To be honest both Fastmail and Runbox seem like 'nice' companies. I have seen Fastmail bosses posting answers on public forums about their service and Runbox is employee owned with good ethical policies. They both seem quite laudable.

Your are very true about the "cheap skate" mentality Pierre. It is why I am prepared to pay for an email service. Also interestingly (and a bit off topic) I have read fitness/health books which describe the human body as "a bargain shopper", I wonder if cheapness could be an in-built trait of humans (saving for lean times..?).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

FastMail is also employee owned.

Account limits look to be much more generous than with Runbox at the same pricepoint but whether that matters depends on your use of course. I've shortly browsed the Runbox website. While I prefer FastMail's (but then I know what to find where) I think you're right that these services look comparable.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:51 am I've also written about this before :) I've been with FastMail for a long while and use them for others as well.
I also use Fastmail. After a lot of research, it was the most recommended paid service. At only $30 US a year (without hosting), it is well worth it. It's hosted out of Australia. Any questions I've had have been answered promptly.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

They offer lower prices if you go for longer than 1 year subscription.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have used Runbox for two years, and I have been very pleased. I looked at several webmail providers, and I considered both ProtonMail and FastMail before I chose Runbox. Runbox was running a promotion at the time where you got a "Medium" account for the price of a "Micro" account, so it was the better bargain.

I have a "Medium" primary account, and two "Micro" sub-accounts to help with spam-proofing my primary account. This works out to $65/year. It is much more than I actually need - I could easily get by with a "Mini" for my primary account and dump one of the sub-accounts.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's paying half again as much as for the FastMail standard account (at 3 years cost $43 a year) while having account limits that are 2,5 to 10 times lower than FastMail's :shock: Thief of your own wallet? :wink:

I find the spam filter on FastMail to work excellent. Still, I do take precaution like you do. I use aliases (you can have 600 at the same time) for some websites so that if they get hacked and their email addresses database stolen and sold to spammers, I can just delete the alias and set up another for the affected websites.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Ah yes, multiple aliases sounds useful. As you said, a lot to like. :)

Return to “Open Chat”