Catweazel - over and out

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Catweazel - over and out

Post by catweazel »

Lately I've been making a lot of blunders, viewtopic.php?p=1495720#p1495720 being the most recent. Clearly my age has got the better of me. I'm not as sharp as I once was and I'm having trouble thinking about what people are asking to the point that I'm now causing problems for those who need assistance so it's time to go.

I'd like to thank all the friends I've made for their encouragement and helping me to learn an awful lot. I'd like to especially thank the moderators who do a mostly thankless task. The community here has been a pleasure to be part of. Keep up the good work everyone.

Sayonara
Catweazel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Catweazel - over and out

Post by Pierre »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 am ~snip
You need to let me know soon as I'm off to Indonesia on Wednesday night.
Your Retiring Over in Bali :?:

it's much warmer up there - Y'know.
8)

anyway - - you know much more than some of us "younger folk" do & You'll be Missed.
:(

PS: Do Drop In, on occasion - just to make sure that we haven't Gone Astray, too much.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Sorry to see you go.... Surely there's no need for such a drastic step? :shock:

From time to time, we all make mistakes in our advice. I know I do. That's life....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 am I'm now causing problems for those who need assistance so it's time to go.
Obligatory: Nonsense.

Mistakes happen, we all make them, someone else will catch them. Until you recommend a sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root / it's all good. :twisted:

+1 for Bali though. 8)

Obligatory moderator's note:
This is a dangerous command, that will result in irrepairable damage to your installation. Beware.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Please do drop-by and heckle occasionally. You'll be missed :(

Plus you still need to do this - viewtopic.php?f=61&t=268480 :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Honestly I'd hate to see you go. Can't you just stick to the simpler questions?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

catweazel wrote: to "bill_steamshovel" on Fri 13 July 2018 ... BTW: If you're advised that you need a different Mint, I'm happy to drop one in the post for you, no charge. Just PM me with your name and address and the version of Mint you want. On that little machine you're probably better off with xfce. You need to let me know soon as I'm off to Indonesia on Wednesday night.
That's a great help and offer. Please continue with your good work and maybe extend this offer to other newbies.
As for me, I hate M$ with a vengeance for 'destroying' my beloved Win 7 in her greedy quest for faster Win 10 world domination. Hence, I moved to Linux Mint in 2016 and try to help out as many newbie-"converts" as I can on this forum.

I would have remained on Windows(from Win 95 onwards) if Win 10 had not happened, ie its forced auto-cumulative-updates/upgrades, forced Telemetry & Data collection, etc.

:D
Last edited by michael louwe on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Catweazel - please reconsider - we all make mistakes and have to live with them. You'll be greatly missed and I'm sure you can still be of help to others.
I know you've help me in days gone by. Maybe you'll rethink with warmer temps :)
Last edited by kc1di on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Benedetto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Benedetto »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:26 am Sorry to see you go.... Surely there's no need for such a drastic step? :shock:

From time to time, we all make mistakes in our advice. I know I do. That's life....
What more can one say!
Enjoy the change of temperature, watch out for all those Aussies. :lol:
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 21:2 Cinnamon 5.8.4 - Desktop
Linux Mint 21:2 - VAIO Laptop
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Stick around buddy, at least to shoot the breeze if nothing more.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You've corrected my mistakes more than once and helped me out on a number of occasions, please reconsider. :(
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hey catweazel...really you need to stay...we all luv ya here big guy...we all make mistakes but all that proves is we are all human...even you...lol...you have been a wealth of information for all of us here and your witticisms are just priceless...you, like me, have probably forgotten more than most of the "youngsters" and newbies might ever learn...knowledge is valuable only when used, and i know that as we get older, we are not necessarily the brightest bulbs on the christmas tree but we can still glow a little...so please stick around and keep glowing with the rest of us here...mistakes being made is after all, the reason we all gravitate to open source in the first place...we get the benefit of having many, many eyes and brains on problems and help, as well as correct each other on occasion, therefore making us all much better and knowledgeable at what we do here and you have always been an integral part of this...you are still needed and necessary on the forums...DAMIEN
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Catweasel;

Don't leave - if you do, the Mint forums will lose a valuable resource. If you don't think you can run with the young bucks, that's OK... but don't leave, just change job descriptions!... they're are taking applications for the Mint forum counsel of elders... That group of users that may not be cutting edge but have the wisdom of experience that is invaluable and can not be obtained quickly - something the young bucks don't (yet) have...

Please reconsider... whichever course of action you take, I wish you will and safe travels my friend...

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

It's not all bad, Catweasel you can blame the "electrickery" for your mistakes. We all make 'em, I'm brain damaged (a fact), that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. Hang around and don't spend too much time outside, you'll freeze your ***s off, down there. You are always willing to show a friendly face to all newbies and certainly made me feel welcome here, so, don't give up on us.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Kindly reconsider. I tend to receive much more advice than I am able to return.

Along the way I accepted a simple reality, that because of hardware differences results may vary even though the same software is being used. Never know in advance whose comments will resolve my issues.

Along the way I always pay close attention to yours. Hopefully you'll stick around and give me more to consider into the future.
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

Agree with the consensus that you should definitely stay around. You'd be missed and are definitely a valuable addition.

Besides I don't see any "Mary Poppins" rule stating that posters have to
Practically perfect in every way
- because if they did I'd have to flee myself! :D
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Catweazel,

My heart sank when I read your post. I'm 54 years old and have a seizure disorder. It's affected my brain and I know for a fact that my mind is not what it was even just 10 years ago. Searching for words just to get my point across in a conversation, trying to remember something from two days ago---stuff like that.

But even when one of my posts helps someone in a direct or indirect way (process of elimination is such a great tool), I am so happy.

As some of the others have said, mistakes happen.

As DAMIEN1307 said:
we get the benefit of having many, many eyes and brains on problems and help
I have edited some of my responses to posts because I realized they were not going to be helpful. Misreading posts, yada yada, etc.

Your response to me just yesterday in a private message helped validate that decision I made. Do you realize how much that meant to me? If you don't, I'm telling you now---it meant a whole lot!

This is your home. You are member of this family. Please reconsider ‘signing out'.

Don't make me get up from this chair and give you a good thrashing! :lol:
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 am Lately I've been making a lot of blunders
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=272692
This wasn't a blunder and I have used it since. I would like to thank you again for your help on this. What the heck are you talking about getting old? Your middle aged and will probably live to 170, I only HOPE I make it to 85 (20 more years). If you feel you must leave then I wish you the very Best in your next 85 years.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

This place will soon be deserted if one must leave every time they have a 'senior moment' :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

+1 on the forum member's responses above.
Hang in there catweazel. You are appreciated here.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Open Chat”