Catweazel - over and out

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
stormryder

Re: Catweazel - over and out

Post by stormryder »

I like hope you might reconsider as well. Your years of experience have been a very valuable asset to the members of this community. I believe you feel its the best thing for the people coming here for help, but I am not so sure. Its not just your great wisdom that will be missed but your sharp wit as well.
Still you must do what is best for you and I wish you the the very best.
Thank you for all the time you have dedicated to helping those here.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 amCatweazel - over and out
Well, just remember...

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

gm10 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 am Obligatory: Nonsense.
+1

You have probably forgotton more about computers than I'll ever know. Heck, I've forgotton more about computers than I now know. But this forum, for me at least, helps keep the brain engaged. It's taking a lot more work than it used to, but the prase "Use it or lose it" is hitting home more and more.

You've absolutely earned the right to enjoy what you do. If the "senior moments" have taken all the joy away from here, then by all means, walk away, and know you will be missed. But I suspect that isn't the case, at least not yet. I've seen a few posts from you recently thanking people for posting something you didn't know about, and sensed some joy at the new discovery.

If you can hide a dozen Easter eggs one day, and find most of them the next day, you've still got something to give.

Whatever you decide, enjoy life and safe trip!
Last edited by MrEen on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 am Lately I've been making a lot of blunders, viewtopic.php?p=1495720#p1495720 being the most recent. Clearly my age has got the better of me. I'm not as sharp as I once was and I'm having trouble thinking about what people are asking to the point that I'm now causing problems for those who need assistance so it's time to go.

I'd like to thank all the friends I've made for their encouragement and helping me to learn an awful lot. I'd like to especially thank the moderators who do a mostly thankless task. The community here has been a pleasure to be part of. Keep up the good work everyone.

Sayonara
Catweazel
Hey, I resent that blunder!! :D
I'm only 75 and just now larnin to fight this Linux stuff, I can’t do that without you to help me misstep thru it

have fun in Bali, is there room there for another ole codger? :?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I really hope you'll reconsider, even if it's just to pop in & annoy us from time to time :mrgreen: also, I would probaly still not know what "PLONK" meant if it weren't for your contributions! :lol:

Hope you have a great time on your travels. :D
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

catweazel, you can't leave us! We will all miss you. You may have made a mistake or two, but you've corrected many more of my mistakes than you've ever made yourself. Also, you have something that many of us are missing: experience. A broad base of experience, and years of it. You can't get that just anywhere. I always read any time I see you have made a post, because I know I'm probably going to learn something. (Or at least be entertained by your wit.) You are welcome anytime to come back and pass on some more of that vast experience.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

+1 to jimallyn, hang out in the chat about linux mint
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:17 am Lately I've been making a lot of blunders, viewtopic.php?p=1495720#p1495720 being the most recent. Clearly my age has got the better of me. I'm not as sharp as I once was and I'm having trouble thinking about what people are asking to the point that I'm now causing problems for those who need assistance so it's time to go.

I'd like to thank all the friends I've made for their encouragement and helping me to learn an awful lot. I'd like to especially thank the moderators who do a mostly thankless task. The community here has been a pleasure to be part of. Keep up the good work everyone.

Sayonara
Catweazel

Meh. We all make mistakes, especially as we age. I have trouble conjuring up $3 words when I'm speaking. I can type them just fine.
Chucking it isn't necessarily the solution. Seriously hope you stick around; at least pop in once in a while. We may not see eye to eye on <AHEM> SOME things, but you do bring knowledge and a bit of levity.

And, of course, Chivas Regal! 8)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Catweazel please don't go - your contributions and wit far outweigh any mistakes, which are, by the way, trivial. We all make them, me more than most I suppose. Although I can appreciate that you may feel you are not meeting your own high standard for technical accuracy. But the reality as born out in the posts here reflect that the knowledge and experience you share far out weighs any boo boos you may have made. You, and several others, are what make this forum the rich and friendly forum that it is.

I would just like to add that way back in 2013 when I first came to this forum without your guidance I could have never installed RAID 0 on my desktop. And that was no easy task and way beyond my skill level and of that of 95% of the folks on this forum. I point this out in no way meaning to disparage the people on this forum but rather as an antidote to point out your level of expertise that would be missed if you were to check out.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Gee, thank you everyone. I didn't realise. Your words of encouragement are genuinely heart warming. Maybe my trip away will relax me a bit and I can return refreshed. It's nice to know I have so many genuine friends. I'll be back in very early August.

Everyone take care and stay safe.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

To do mistakes is human, to be tired also, recently i got my first Android smartphone as a gift, and I realize that it is a superior version of Linux, which excuse the turn of the users away of the traditional, Windows and Linux.
Simplicity, functionality all in one device, you mess up, you do a factory reset, or you buy a new device you sync it in your account and the drive, and it is how it was, and all this thanks to Linux and to guys like you.
The traditional Linux to survive, needs to join forces since the Android is not Linux user friendly, and you can see it, that even being based on Linux is more compatible with Windows than Linux.
If nothing happened, then the traditional Linux will disappear and it will exist only in the memory of few and in the history.
Benedetto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Benedetto »

catweazel wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:04 am Gee, thank you everyone. I didn't realise. Your words of encouragement are genuinely heart warming. Maybe my trip away will relax me a bit and I can return refreshed. It's nice to know I have so many genuine friends. I'll be back in very early August.

Early August is less than a month away, so I am sure you will get refreshed on your Indonesian vacation. There are over 33,000 islands that make up Indonesia so you have a wide choice, but stay away from the tourist hotspots - like all tourist hotspots you miss out on the real place.
Making mistakes is not an age thing, but getting forgetful often is. :lol: I am over 80 and got to grips with LM and thanks to this board - and knowledgeable guys like you - have managed to see the wood, despite the trees. :wink:
Absent friends, may speedily return they say!
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 21:2 Cinnamon 5.8.4 - Desktop
Linux Mint 21:2 - VAIO Laptop
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If nothing else, I've been enjoying seeing all your different haircuts, although I did think the eyeball was a trim too far :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:23 am If nothing else, I've been enjoying seeing all your different haircuts, although I did think the eyeball was a trim too far :D
+1 Though I think it was just Catweasel's way of keeping an eye on us.

Catweasel, are you leaving AAT or just going on holidays?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

I wouldn't call this mistake. This was your opinion at that time trying to help. It can be correct or it can be wrong. This is a forum and most of the time the participants give advises without to be able to test them all before writing them. The responsibility lays on the person who ask for help to follow or not the advise and to do a backup before to try things that he does not understand.
Plons
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plons »

Nah, you shouldn't leave. I would miss your avatar, for a start. And you speak your mind. I like that.

As others mentioned: we all make mistakes, except for those who don't contribute.

Have a good time on Bali, and see you in August

Nard
Leef met vlag en wimpel maar hou het simpel (translation: Live with flying colours but KISS)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

catweazel wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:04 am ...
You too---take care, stay safe, and see you back here, ok? :wink:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:04 am Gee, thank you everyone. I didn't realise. Your words of encouragement are genuinely heart warming. Maybe my trip away will relax me a bit and I can return refreshed. It's nice to know I have so many genuine friends. I'll be back in very early August.

Yeah, man! You're an original! And you too. Have fun and Godspeed travelling.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Faust

Post by Faust »

" Nonsense "
..... unacceptable reason :)

IMHO you are not giving nearly enough consideration to the sheer quantity of great help and advice that you have provided ,
and a good deal of entertainment value on top !

If I had your number I'd have already been ranting at you on the " Telling Bone " .... and you wouldn't want that , trust me :mrgreen:

My best wishes for your future plans , whatever you decide :)
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I dont know about you, but I $%#@ up constantly...... :D

Return to “Open Chat”