Download speeds

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Download speeds

Post by BG405 »

CoffeeFiend wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:27 am I have the 300Mb/s plan. I have been rather salty lately because I have used websites and apps which check download speeds and the best I have gotten on either has been around 30 - 37. So I wonder if, as mentioned previously, it is because Cox advertises as 300 Megabits/second
That sounds about right; 300Mbps = 37.5MBps.
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:06 pm just about all ISPs use the "higher" sounding numbers
WiFi card & dongle manufacturers as well. In fact, the above figure (in MBps) is what I've observed when connected to a high-speed wireless router. I'd expect to see half that (18.75MBps) on my old Wireless-G setup but haven't seen anything that high yet, usually a lot lower.

Downloads for me (at home) are up to 1.3MBps or a bit over 10Mbps. YouTube streaming is fine, even when several machines are using the Web (including downloading an ISO) & don't usually get any buffering issues even on 720p. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

My ISP, Comcast, bounced around a bit but it now indicates ~20-22MB. LM 19 iso download is 90 seconds. That is 1.8 gb.
Captain Brillo

Post by Captain Brillo »

Rogers.com Unlimited Internet
Advertises
Speeds up to 500 Mbps Download 20 Mbps Upload

I actually get 192 and 16 regularly through NordVPN

With a Lenovo M92 i5 and 12 Gb Ram

Is that good? I really don't know anymore.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Captain Brillo wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:43 am Rogers.com Unlimited Internet
Advertises
Speeds up to 500 Mbps Download 20 Mbps Upload

I actually get 192 and 16 regularly through NordVPN

With a Lenovo M92 i5 and 12 Gb Ram

Is that good? I really don't know anymore.
Ratio wise, that is about how mine is.
Advertised 12Mbps, speed tests claim 10.x to 11.x Mbps, actual downloads are capped at 1.3MBytes

Uploads for me are capped at .92-.98
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi folks...my ISP just raised my speed from 60 to 100 mbps as they now tell me that is now their minimum speed offered...the one thing i noticed is even though my belkin n150 f9k1001 2.4 ghz claims it supports speeds up to 150mbps, in reality it will not go past 67 mbps...when i connect direct to modem im getting over the 100 mbps, so i guess, unless someone knows something i do not, im going to have to replace this 7 yr old router and get something more up to date...my needs are few, just a couple of roku boxes and the occasional lappy being fired up so i suppose a netgear dual band 2.4/5.0 should suffice for my purposes...any opinions welcome...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I was looking into a Netgear Nighthawk WiFi router just this last week.
3 antennas on it, support up to 5 different WiFi devices at the same time, all of them streaming videos at full speed.

then our "lovely ISP" finally acknowledged that my modem/WiFi router actually is bad, and they sent me a different brand, and now all is well, and I saved $167.00

but, has they not done that, I would have bought the new WiFi router just to be free of their piece of crap.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AZg...i went down to "wally world" to look at their routers because i found that my almost 8 year old belkin n-150 was not going to do the job anymore when my ISP just gave me a freebie by upping me from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps speed...(the kicker is they also reduced what i now pay but a dollar from 54.93 to 53.93 per month...lol...), citing that ive been a loyal customer for almost 8 yrs and referred many new customers to them, (they also give me and the new referral a bounty of 50 bucks each after they have had it for 90 days) )they have also kept my rate to what ive been paying for almost 8 yrs now)...the old belkin would not peak anything past 65 Mbps...so after looking online, i found that the nighthawk you were looking at was on a list of routers that have been hacked etc...so i decided on a lower cost NETGEAR R6020, (2 antennaes not 3), that was not on a list of netgears, etc that have been hacked...it has "pages" of tweaks, adjustments etc, but well worth the effort...it is also running my 2 Roku boxes as well as my lappys very well...the roku in my bedroom always had problems maintaining any sort of continuous connection with the belkin single band 2.4 but now no problem at all when i shut of the old 20/40 mghz and just let the 5ghz hold sway...if your still looking for your own router, you can get that one for 35 bucks at wally world and it works great...it is called "Netgear AC750 WiFi Router model R6020...regards...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

that's great .DAMIEN,
glad it all worked out for you...

I just wish that AT&T would get off the pot, and give us the equivalents speeds that COX cable is giving to their customers only 18 miles away from our home..... same $60/month approx for each, but Cox is giving speeds of 60-100 Mbps contrasted to my 10mbps
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AZg...you could always move to COX territory!...lol...by the way, how much do you pay extra to have the router built into your modem?...down here in alamogordo nm, if you have just their modem that is capable of over 100 Mbps with built in phone service with battery backup, its about 3.oo dollars a month, but if it has router built in, it is 10 dollars a month...a 35.00 dollar router like mine could save a lot...i dont want to own my own modem because i want the cable company to be responsible for it if it fails, (its an arris tm822 expensive modem), (im on my third one in almost 8 yrs due to failures), but a router is a different thing since its so cheap...just saying...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:19 pm hi AZg...you could always move to COX territory!...lol...by the way, how much do you pay extra to have the router built into your modem?...down here in alamogordo nm, if you have just their modem that is capable of over 100 Mbps with built in phone service with battery backup, its about 3.oo dollars a month, but if it has router built in, it is 10 dollars a month...a 35.00 dollar router like mine could save a lot...i dont want to own my own modem because i want the cable company to be responsible for it if it fails, (its an arris tm822 expensive modem), (im on my third one in almost 8 yrs due to failures), but a router is a different thing since its so cheap...just saying...DAMIEN
I am on ADSL which combines the Modem with 4 LAN ports, and a WiFi Router.

It is an Arris NVG599
There are a few Internet reports that it has a bad WiFi radio in it, but the one I have, seems to be doing well.

I remember living in Mesa, Arizona and had Cox cable... there I, like you, had a modem with 4 or 5 LAN ports.
for WiFi, I had to use an external WiFi router. the first one was a cheapo Belkin from Best Buy.
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

AHHHH...i remember using dsl...it seemed so fast after using dial-up AOL (hell)...with 56K modem...lol...that was back in 2005...the last time i ever had to use anything that slow...im really feeling your pain right now knowing what you have to put up with with internet, or lack thereof...i would be trying to hunt something down and killing it if i was in your position...when i was using 2 meter communications off of the repeaters, i was doing better than what you got right now..."those were the days my friend", to quote from a very old song...lol...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”